“New but no growing pains.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“New but no growing pains.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is one of the new hotels which have emerged around the new Boston convention centre. Is it a gem. The service is superb. Everyone exudes an attitude that they really want to help you.

The rooms are fantastic. They are large with the amenities that I needed.

There is not too much around close by but enough good restaurants to satisfy the business traveller. Of course, if you are there for a convention event, it is perfect.

I would go with the family on the understanding that you will use cabs for the downtown attractions such as the waterfront and Fenway etc. Driving and parking in those areas is not a joy in any case.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Hikergourmet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
williamsburg, virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

On a 3-night business trip prior to the recent holidays, I was able to secure a decent room rate for Boston. Since I travel to Boston often, I thought I would try something different in the Marriott portfolio. (I will admit that I am a Marriott loyalist.)

The hotel is a short taxi ride from the airport and is located in an excellent area for dining. Taxis and public transportation are readily available. Lobby ambiance is simple, somewhat lacking warmth or atmosphere but still nice, clean, and sleek. Rooms are decorated in red, white and blue and do not coordinate with the public areas. A really poor decorating job altogether and totally disjointed from the other areas of the hotel. However, the hotel missed the most important mark I look for when choosing a business hotel-that is, proving excellent customer service at the front desk.

For example, I arrived on a quiet and stormy Sunday evening after a very bumpy flight from DC. Having made my reservation several weeks before my arrival and as an Elite member, I was disappointed when I was informed by Mario that my requested room and guaranteed (King/Club Floor) was "unavailable" and all they had was a "lovely" harbor view room double, I grudgingly accepted it. But, when entering the room, which was cavernous, it appeared that furniture was missing (such as a desk, comfortable chair) so I requested another room. Since there were "no other available rooms"-King or Double- on the Club Floors, I was then given a corner room on a lower floor with Club Access. But, this room reeked of cigarette smoke (even though Marriott's are nonsmoking hotels). So back to Mario at the front desk in search of another room and miraculously, after speaking with his manager, Mario found a KING room on the Club Floor. I was appreciative of the room, finally, but should have been given this room on arrival, not on the third try. No way to treat your valued guests.

On the opposite end of the scale, the hotel redeemed itself with the excellent service in the Club Lounge. The offerings were high quality and well-attended by the concierge, especially the evening concierge. She made a deliberate effort to welcome each guest upon his or her arrival. It was obvious that she had great rapport with her repeat guests. Very impressive. Bell service in the front lobby was also attentive and extra effort was often observed in obtaining taxis since the hotel is not in the business district.

Another front desk issue that disturbed me from a customer service perspective was my checkout experience. The lone clerk was visibly reading the newspaper (covered his face) so didn't see me when I approached the desk (in a hurry to depart and catch my flight). Again, these aren't major issues but do not reflect proper training for a 4 star hotel front desk staff.

When back in Boston, I will probably not choose this hotel for my lodging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank joy1
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and were very pleased. We only live 20mins away so we know the area well, but we just wanted to get away for a night. The hotel was very clean, the staff was great checking in and out and the room was spacious. The bathroom was perfect and clean. We went to the pool and sat in the hot tub. The pool is on a middle floor and you can feel the bottom of the pool move when you walk in it so it was a weird feeling, but over all it was great. The hot tub was large and the locker rooms were great. They were very clean, the sauna was huge and the shower stalls were massive as well. We only stayed one night, but it was a great stay.

The waterfront area is changing a lot so there is more to do if you stay here. They just put up a new Legal Seafood, Jerry Remy restaurant and if you keep walking towards the city there is Whiskey Priest and Atlantic Beer Garden. My husband used to be a bouncer at the old Seaport Bar which is now the Whiskey Priest so we went there to see a band and the walk was maybe 3mins. Very up and coming area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erin M
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my first trip to Boston, and here are my takes:

1) Easy access to and from the airport.
2) Nice, clean rooms
3) Noisy, I could clearly hear people in the hall, and my neighbor talking lousy
4) Location isn't tourist friendly, you have to take several buses/trains to get to the tourist attractions
5) Nice staff

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Angie B
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at the renaissance Boston waterfront for 6 nights in December 2012. We had a room which had two king beds in it as it was a family of four travelling, hotel is only 10 minuteds from the airport but you certainly never heard any noise from the planes. We got taxi to the hotel from the airport which was $30 and after using the T system on our return journey the four tickets only cost us $10. Hotel is modern with spacious rooms, rooms cleaned daily with fresh towels each day, shower was really powerful which is needed after sightseeing all day. The hotel location is too far away from the centre of Boston if you have kids with you, but you can walk to Boston Common in 35 minutes or so. Fabulous restaurants rights beside the hotel, the LTK serves delicious sea food and the No Name Restaurant situated on the docks, just across the road from the hotel had the best chowder and sea food served to us throughout our trip. All in all a good hotel just a bit far out

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms have lovely views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ciara b
Falun, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Close to several restaurants in the waterfront area, but approx. 20 minutes walking distance from the city, via a hood which isn't "that nice" in the night... Close to the congress center. Not for the romantic stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank P_Funck
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed in a clubroom with a co-worker for a conference in November. Much closer to the airport than I thought it would be - it was a quick cab ride away.

Check-in was a breeze. Staff were quick and the lobby was beautiful.

As part of a clubroom we had access to the club lounge. This is where we ate our breakfast during our stay. Breakfast was great and had a good variety of foods each morning. We also visited the club room at the end of the day for complimentary internet service and honor bar. The staff was always welcoming and friendly.

One morning I visited the gym in the hotel. I was impressed with their equipment for a hotel gym. The door was tricky to open with my room card and I had to try it a few times.

Our room was nice and clean, I expected the club room to be larger than it was. In the bathroom there was Aveda shampoo, conditioner, soap and mouth wash. Also a hairdryer, clothing iron and mini fridge. It seemed somewhat odd to us that there was only one bath robe in the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business