“pretty authentic BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighborhood: Allston / Brighton
Neighborhood: Allston / Brighton
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I enjoyed the food here - and having lived in the south several years, this is a pretty good BBQ place. Great value and the best part is their BBQ sauces - several options and all excellent.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I'm from Boston and never really cared about BBQ fare until I met my wife who is from the South. When we were married in Charleston I tried many of the places down there. I got hooked and mow I have my own smoker. As for the places in Boston, I would say Soulfire is the best. We've been several times even though we live twenty minutes away. Every time the food has been great, and the service very friendly! The last time we went we got the pulled pork, pulled chicken and the fried chicken wings. They were excellent especially when mixed with the Soulfire BBQ sauce. I also recommend the sides, specifically the mac n cheese, potato salad and baked beans. This place is as good or better than the best places in Charleston.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I recently visited Boston for a conference and arrived a day early to meet up with a friend. Our first stop for lunch was Zaftigs (excellent Jewish deli btw), and for dinner I suggested Soulfire, a barbecue restaurant that I had seen on the Food Network. Being from the South, I was a little skeptical that I could find an authentic barbecue restaurant in Boston, but Soulfire could compete with any of great barbecue restaurants of Virginia and North Carolina. We ordered the three meat tray with spare ribs, pulled pork, and barbecue chicken. All were good, but the ribs were the best. A great rib should be tender all the way through and should almost fall off the bone, but still leave just enough pull on it. The ribs at Soulfire were exactly that quality. As mentioned earlier, the chicken and pulled pork were great, and the restaurant's own barbecue sauce was tangy and a little bit sweet-perfect for the meats. If you like great barbecue or want to taste what great barbecue should be, I would highly recommend Soulfire.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Food was excellent. The wait staff were great but then it got busy and it was clear there were not enough of them to serve everyone timely. Food would get out but then hard to get a drink refill or a check. Again, the staff were trying just overwhelmed when it got busier. We had the pulled pork, chicken, and brisket along with various sides and the food was all well cooked and authentic. Great sauces on the table and good beer choices. Fun posters and music. We shared the fried dough which was fabulous with the honey butter spread on it! I will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

The fried chicken was a big hit. The fried catfish was tasty but too little of it in the sandwich. Corn bread tasty and moist. All a tad bland. Our waitress was really unfriendly at first but the manager was super friendly.