“Great bikes”

and up
Go Boston Card
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Urban AdvenTours offers quality bike rentals and exciting guided bike tours of Boston - from historic landmarks to quaint neighborhood streets of Boston and Cambridge - for families, students and visitors. Ride with us and see Boston the way it was meant to be seen - on two wheels!
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Great bikes”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The best bikes we have ever hired and we have hired quite a few in recent years. They gave us some useful tips on where to ride as well. But do beware of some of the Boston car drivers. It is not the most cycle friendly of cities

Visited August 2013
UrbanAdvenTours, Guest Relations Manager at Urban AdvenTours, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for cycling with us! Glad our bikes worked out for you! Some Boston drivers can be a bit rough around the edges when it comes to their views on cycling - but the majority of drivers here are very used to seeing bikes - especially our bikes - on the streets. Thanks for supporting the bike community during your stay, hope to see you again!

Parkland, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A wonderful way to see Boston”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband, 18 yo daughter and I took the Fall foliage, Emerald Necklace ride. From start to finish we enjoyed the ride. A great way to see Boston's beautiful parks off the beaten path. The staff was informative and friendly. While we did have to go through some busy streets the staff ensured our safety.

Visited October 2013
Oxted, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I recently did the morning city tour and also hired a bicycle for my own exploration.

I really enjoyed the tour. Our guide was extremely knowledgable and managed the group (7 or 8 people) well, navigating us safely around the city and to numerous interesting sites.

I was a bit disappointed in a few respects, and I am listing them here for attention. I think the prices are quite steep, and at the end of the tour we were additionally expected to tip the guide handsomly. I gather this is a North American custom, but when I pay a company well for a service I expect them to pay the employees well in turn. This made me feel uncomfortable, and results in a lack of price transparency when booking a tour. Also on the price, the bicycle was comfortable, and UAT took the time to fit the bike, which was appreciated. However I felt I was paying top dollar for a very average bicycle. I was given a helmet, and lock, but no pump or puncture repair kit. Almost as an afterthought, as I was about to cycle off, I was offered a map. I declined, as I thought it wouldn't be neccessary and didn't want to inconvenience the staff member, but of course I got lost in Charleston later that day. I suggest that this should be given as standard to people from out of town.

As someone else commented here, I was surprised that there was no insurance cover. This did not inconvenience me too much because I have my own insurance but if the bicycle had been stolen I would have had the replacement price charged by UAT to my credit card, and had to claim back from my insurance company. In other countries I have had an insurance fee (optional) added to my hire charge which makes things a lot simpler.

Anyway, in summary I really enjoyed my time in Boston. The city is good to cycle around (even if the car is clearly treated as king by those responsible for street and intersection design) and I would recommend UAT to anyone looking for a cycling experience in Boston.

Visited September 2013
UrbanAdvenTours, Guest Relations Manager at Urban AdvenTours, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for choosing to cycle with us during your time in Boston, and thank you for the feedback. As a small business we are always looking for ways to improve. We're so sorry that your expectations were not exceeded in your time with us! Just to address a few of your comments:

The costs of our tours and rentals are built around a lot of different factors, and you should expect an excellent service to come with that. As far as tipping goes, that is never a requirement, only an option if you felt the staff went above and beyond to make your experience enjoyable. There should not have been any pressure put on you there, and we are sorry if you felt that way. Often there are huge differences in how tipping is treated in different cultures, and it can be off-putting if it feels like a requirement.

Our rentals come with maps, helmets, locks, and the option of taking a patch/flat kit with you at no additional charge in case you need to change a tire. However, as most people are not confident in changing a flat themselves, flat kits are offered on a case by case basis. Our maps are very useful, and we have them everywhere around our shop for people to take for free! We will be sure to be more upfront about handing out maps in the future.

We have repeatedly considered an insurance option for our rentals but unfortunately it is just not a suitable option for our business. For each renter that comes in our staff does their best to explain how to properly lock up the bikes and is clear that customers are responsible for the bikes when they are out on rental.

Boston has become a much more bike-able city in the last few years, and cars are very used to seeing our green-fendered bicycles around the streets. There are bike lanes and shared lanes on most streets here, but it is an unfortunate truth that not everyone feels bikes belong on the roads. However, the more bike advocates that we can get out on our bikes the better the city will become for everyone! We really appreciate your input and thank you for helping better cycling in Boston!

Best,
UA Team
Brookyln, IA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Sweet ride...”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Do you like to ride???? Do you like to tour??? Then this tour is for you. great staff who are friendly and very knowledgeable of the area. Bikes were in great shape, and everyone got a helmet and water bottle for the ride. Even if your not a rider Boston is very east to ride, no hills, no sweat! Next time we are in town we will do another ride...thanks!

Tavistock, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“wheely good tour !”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Took this tour with my wife and son, would thoroughly recommend for all ages and abilities. I have visited Boston and walked the sights before but saw much more by taking this tour. My wife booked this trip and in honesty I wasn't that enthusiastic but in hindsight she did the right thing. The guide was really nice, she was considerate and informative. The route is easy, safe and the bikes comfortable. A really great mornings sight seeing with a young and very professional team, I wish them every success. So, if in doubt go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2013
UrbanAdvenTours, Guest Relations Manager at Urban AdvenTours, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Glad you had such a great time! Converting skeptics is what we do best - hope you try out a bike tour again, be it in Boston or elsewhere!

Been to Urban AdvenTours? Share your experiences!