“good food”
Review of Masona Grill

Masona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Masona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #421 of 3,404 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Roxbury / Hyde Park / Roslindale
Cross street: Park Street
Transit: Commuter Needham line from Back Bay Station to Highland Station in West Roxbury. About 15 minutes.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Went here for a date night with spouse.

Pros:

- The food was exceptionally good. We ordered the mussels appetizer (good), garden salad (exceptionally good and fresh), peach salad (very good), seared tuna main course (excellent, ic attached), and scallops main course (delicious, pic attached).
- The service was attentive.
- There was plenty of free parking across the street

Cons:

- The host was not very warm and friendly. He took us to our table and dropped the menus at the table and left.
- We had a Groupon for this restaurant ($49 for a $79 meal I think), The charged us the MA meal tax for the $79. I believe in MA you are not supposed to charge tax on the full price of a discounted item.
- They added 20% gratuity to our bill. I have never been to a restaurant where they add 20% gratuity. I understand that they want to protect the waiter from people who undertip using Groupon, but adding 20% is very unusual. I can see adding 18%. It is the principle.

All in all, I think we will go back to this place as we really liked the product. But there is room for improvement in PR.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Masona grill with a groupon for the 4th time. We will definately return! The waitress Gina was personable, knowledgeable and made the overall experience perfect. We started with the shrimp and avocado taquitos which were cooked perfectly and a great addition to the summer menu.
We had the swordfish and soft crab as entrees and were not at all disappointed! They were delicious and presented with perfection. As a grande finale we ended with the coconut cake drizzled with caramel... Decadent!!!
We will be returning again very soon! We loved the summer menu and will be requesting Gina as our server.
PS- we purchased another Groupon for Masona Grill!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were shocked that this tiny spot in West Roxbury served such amazingly different food.
The menu is impressive with a South American flair. We were there for the fisrt time and will definitely be back.
Masona Grill is quite small but we never felt crowded. Our server was honestly one of the best servers I have ever had. We had paella and a seasonal chicken dish that were both amazing.
The surprise highlight was the coconut cake. We both saw it and decided, why not. I am still thinking of it. It was that good.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of my favorite dishes to order at a restaurant is duck. Whenever I see it on the menu, I generally order it. I can't tell you how many times I have ordered duck but I can tell you the best duck meal I have ever had is at Masona Grill. The menu says it is "duck two ways" (leg confit and the breast is seared in a pan.) and it has a port reduction sauce that is fabulous. I ordered it well done and our server, Brian, (who did a great job and makes the best sangria I have ever had), said I should order it medium. He was right-on. The meal also came with sweet potato mash, which was terrific....My wife countered with hanger steak that was tender and done perfectly, and accompanied by excellent french fries...We shared an appetizer of shrimp won ton that was very tasty and got our meal off on an excellent note...The portions were perfect as we also had room for dessert. Once again, my wife and I shared it--a key lime tart...It was an excellent meal and we can't wait to go back. Might have to wait until the fall, though, as they change their menu in the summer and duck is not featured...Only caveat is we thought it was rather pricey for a neighborhood restaurant. The meal was a bit over $90.00 (shared appetizer, two entrees, shared dessert, one drink--outstanding sangria). Fortunately, we had a Groupon which cut the price down considerably. We are going back to Masona Grill in the near future as we have recently purchased another Groupon. We had a wonderful dining experience and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This visit was not as remarkable and amazing as all of my other meals here. I was expecting the soft shell crab to be extraordinary and actually the dish came out on the greasy side, with way too much oil. My dining companion had the eggplant, which was tasty but lukewarm and although a large portion, good enough for leftovers was a bit disappointing as well. The restaurant was packed, due to the holiday weekend...so maybe that had something to do with it. The sangria was as always wonderful, and the cheese sauce (for the fries) was yummy! Actually all of the appetizers are my favorite here, and the last time had the amazing mussels and the Caesar salad, so that is always to be recommended.