“Clean, affordable, comfortable.”
Review of Nolan House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nolan House B&B
Ranked #14 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Had a lovely time staying at the Nolan House. Everything was clean and comfortable. The owners were friendly and attentive. I would most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed January 18, 2010

I opted for a bed and breakfast over a hotel and was more than pleased at my find. I found my hosts gracious and accommodating, the rooms spacious and charming in a shabby chic way, the bed extremely comfortable, the house peaceful and quiet, and the breakfast generous. The location was great--good access to public transportation--and a brisk walk from the new Convention Center, which was exactly what I was looking for. The only drawback were the steps--hard on someone like me with a bad knee--but I expected that with an old house. Loved the old radiator heat which reminded me of my childhood. Would recommend to single travelers, or couples, looking for a good hotel alternative.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2009

If you're looking for the Marriott, stay at the Marriott. But if you want to feel relaxed and comfortable, you cannot beat this B&B. John and Kathy Nolan are wonderful people who welcomed us into their private home, even over the Christmas holidays. We had such a great time that we hated to leave. The stay usually includes a lavish breakfast, which we didn't try until the last day. John is a wonderful cook! Be sure to take advantage of this! He makes a great pot of tea, too.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SulphurBulldog
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My Dad always advised me to withhold public criticism whenever possible. But this place needs to be exposed for what it is - a sad excuse for a Boston Bed & Breakfast.

As an owner of several older (80-125 years) homes past and present I would describe their house as in poor condition and architecturally unremarkable. Ouch.

As someone who spent years serving the public and trying to make them happy and exceed their expectations I would describe the Nolan's as woefully out of step with similar B&B's I've visited throughout the US. They are all about the Nolan's rather than all about their guests. Ouch x 2.

Finally, the location is OK - if you need to be on this part of Boston. But as a tourist I found that this was not a good spot to walk to the main attractions of Boston. Ouch x 3.

We moved after one night to the far more pleasant and well located Charlesmark Hotel across from the Boston public library.

Being my own self critic I can excuse the Nolan's performance on the night we stayed there as having been a mere "off night". Unlikely but possible. They were curt at best. Rude would be the word my Mother would use. Their moodiness aside, the rooms we saw were dismal - unless you want to live among the most tasteless of your grandmother's nick nacks and baubles. Not recommended.

Finally, their hand written notes warning are almost worth the trip to this charmless outpost. These incredible notes all around the bed room and the (SHARED) bathroom were priceless testament to the Nolan's interest in bending the will of their "guests" to hang towels a certain way and to leave this light switch off but that one on, etc.

Summary - if the Nolan's spent as much time, effort and energy seeking to make their guests enjoy their stays as they did in writing these over the top notes? They would be running the Ritz-Carlton of Boston B&B's. As it is, they are in the wrong business.

I'm thinking they might fit well as taxi dispatchers in a future life. THEN they can control how things run and have few worries about service and aesthetics.

• Stayed: April 2009
4  Thank davlon
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Delightful discovery. Thank you so much for your kind hospitality and assistance. The rooms are large and lovely; the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and the price is reasonable. Hope to return another time.
A. & B. R. from Canada (Ontario)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I think this is the sort of place you either love or hate, depending on what you are looking for in a place to stay. As others have said, the beds were comfy, the rooms were spacious, the breakfasts were delicious and John was a friendly and helpful host. And it was clean, which is of course crucial. But, the stair carpet was threadbare, the decor was dreary, the lighting in the bedrooms was poor, there was little in the way of storage space in my room at least and the whole place (inside and out) felt slightly spooky. And of course there were all the notes around the place which others have mentioned. All-in-all, if you like something a bit out-of-the-ordinary, you will like it here. I however did not find it great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank Love Travelliing
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We've stayed at the Four Seasons, and these beds are far superior. Best nights sleep we've had on any of our travels. We plan on getting our own.

The rooms are impeccably clean, cozy and comfy. Furnished with a nod to the period of the house.

Be sure to visit the rooftop deck for great views of Boston and the sky. A nice getaway space.

The breakfast is large and delicious and is as hearty as advertised. More than sufficient it was for us in getting through the mornings.

The location is convenient to public transportation and street parking is relatively easy and available [for Boston!]. Very convenient to the Boston Conference Center as well.

Realize this was built as a large, single family house in the late 1800's, so the bathrooms are shared- they are very clean and functional. There are only about 3-4 bedrooms in the house, so it doesn't get really crowded. Yes the floors creak, but wouldn't you after 100 years? [the creaks are charming]

For the price, we were very happy with our stay. You cannot find any decent hotels anymore for under $200 in big cities, and we paid considerably less than that for a charming, quiet house with wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple