“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

New, spacious hotel on Atlantic Avenue about 200 yards from South Station. Rooms were large and well laid-out; the bathroom alone was bigger than the room in many other hotels I've stayed at. I got a Hotwire deal otherwise it would have been unaffordable! Only downside: there's a French-Provencale restaurant and room service menu of Boston specialities, but no in-house coffee shop or lighter dining, which makes the place more like a very upmarket 3-star hotel than the 5-star it aspires to be.

• Liked — Room was spacious, quiet
  • Disliked — Limited in-house dining made the hotel feel more like a place to sleep than a place to live
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank ICE-Zugfahrer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

I stayed here for one evening during a USA vacation. Every aspect of the stay at this hotel was perfect. All the staff we encountered were amazingly courteous and friendly. I chose this hotel as a Priority Club Ambassador and I was given a corner room with a sea view.

I loved the room. I opened the door to a long wide corridor, at the end turned right and there was the entry to the bathroom on the left. And then opening into a very large bedroom replete with a good sized king bed, chaise lounge, very large armchair and footstool, desk area and console with a 32 inch (I think) flat screen TV. It really was a delight!

Above the bed were two sliding doors which opened a “hatch” between the bedroom and the bathroom so (I presume) one could soak in the bath and watch TV but something I have never come across before!

The bathroom was big with a separate walk in shower and bath-tub, the latter being the largest I have seen in an American Hotel.

I paid extra for Club Access and this was excellent value. Decent lunch and breakfast provided in the lounge and the service and friendliness of the staff there helped make this a special place to relax and enjoy.

I would recommend this hotel and everything about in unreservedly!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007
3 Thank jcolesw2
Deep River, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I spent a night at the Intercontinental Hotel in Boston and it was a fabulous choice! First of all, everybody who works there from the valet parking staff to the desk staff to the concierge is friendly, helpful and courteous. They go out of their way to make sure their guests have a pleasant stay and are tremendous resources for local info; places to eat, things to do, how to get around the city etc.
The hotel is spotless and has a great location overlooking Boston Harbor. Our room was impressive with a super comfortable King sized bed with luxury linens, a down comforter and soft, fluffy pillows. There are so many comfort touches...each side of the bed has focused beam, adjustable neck reading lights that come out of the wall, the wall of windows has block-out drapes, there are plenty of lamps all around the room, there is a flat screen TV, a huge wall mirror and a granite shelf just inside the door (perfect for putting things down as you come in or out), The closet has a pair of solid, substantial doors that close with a magnetic catch and a light goes on inside it whenever it is opened.
The bathroom is beautiful with a granite topped vanity, a lighted, adjustable makeup mirror, marble floor and walls and a glass enclosed marble shower with both a showerhead and a handheld shower. The water pressure is excellent and there is plenty of hot water. There is a deep soaking tub and above it is a set of sliding panels that open to the bedroom. The bed is on the other side and I was able to watch TV from the tub in the evening and while brushing my teeth the next morning. All the furniture and wood trim throughout is high quality: dark and solid and reminded me of a sophisticated blend of Arts and Crafts/Contemporary with a touch of Asian influence. There are shoji style panels above the bed with built-in soft nightlights. There was even a chaise at the foot of the bed. Of course there are all the techno-necessities for business travelers.
What was particularly striking was the quiet; we never heard any noise from the hall or from other rooms. The carpeting is thick and the walls must be very solid. This is a wonderful choice for a romantic getaway right down to the robes, soft plush towels and deliciously scented bath products. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and will highly recommend it to our friends.

• Liked — all the luxury touches and the friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank monkeydevil
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

I recently spent 5 days in Boston and decided to stay at the Intercontinental due to it being highly recommended by several people. I booked two months ahead with the hotel and had all the appropriate reservation numbers and stay times. Upon arrival the hotel stated that they were charging me for a night that I had not reserved or been there for, despite having a faxed copy of my reservation times. The front desk person not only ignored my complaints, but called the manager over who proceeded to raise his voice and imply that I was in the wrong. Additionally, after a call to the credit card company I discovered they had already charged me for the night not reserved.

Needless to say, I was not happy, but decided to go ahead and try the hotel out since the charge for the night in question has been removed by the credit card company. Deciding to stay was a mistake as the bathroom was dilapidated and unclean with most things being broken in the room itself. Also, getting the hotel room cleaned every day required a call to the front desk as the cleaning service had not cleaned the rooms by 3:00 PM. Upon checking out, I brought up all of these issues with a manager and was scolded for complaining and not showing up on the dates that were reserved.

The one positive point of the hotel is the concierge service, which makes excellent restaurant recommendations.

In conclusion, travelers are warned to check their reservation times and credit cards carefully if considering this hotel.

• Liked — Concierge service.
  • Disliked — Front desk and dirty room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank WTF001
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

Just stayed for two nights over labor day weekend. Booked hotel through priceline and got a $125 a night rate which was excellent compared to other properties. Great room, huge bathroom with both tub and shower. Staff were professional and friendly and enjoyed our stay. We found location to be fine, only a short walk to most attractions and close to the subway. Gym and pool were incredible.

• Liked — great hotel at great price, quiet room
  • Disliked — made us wait till three to check in, I believe because we booked through priceline.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carrollkvn
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

From the moment you arrive from Logan, a short 8 minute drive, although with airport fees, the fare ends up being about $22, you are greeted by a wonderful staff in a hotel that meets all expectations.

There is nothing bad about this hotel. Great rooms, comfortable beds, large bathrooms, even in the standard rooms, and a nice gym.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jad7721
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I enjoyed my stay at the Intercontinental Hotel. The room I had was quite nice and was just as the photos showed. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom huge. I liked the in-room safe that fit my 15" laptop computer. The desk was very nice in that the plugs and modem connections popped out of the desk. The room lighting was very thoughtful, including the mood lighting in the panels to the sides of the bed, the motion sensitive lighting and the reading lamps, all of which were accessible from the bed. One pet peeve, the cordless phone near the bed did not work.

The fitness center was also very nice with free bottled water, which I was able to take with me to my room rather than use the mini-bar.

My biggest issue was with the front desk. On the whole I found the staff to be very curt and rather unsympathetic with any concerns. On several ocassions, only one person was working the desk and the waits in line were lengthy. Although I checked in early, there was no room available and they would not commit to when the room would be available other than by 3p. They did not offer to call me on my cell when the room was ready. Thus, I had to wait in line twice to check-in.

The bell staff was friendly and helpful. They kept my bags, allowed me to access them and helped with ice when I finally did check in.

On a separate instance, I asked an individual at the front desk about getting a reservation at the hotel for the following week. I was advised that I could be put on a wait list for a regular room at nearly 3x the price. I advised that I would not pay that price, at which time I was advised to contact the Holiday Inn.

While at the hotel, I needed to print a document. I was directed to the hotel's business center on the third floor. I was able to printed a couple of documents-but because I was in a hurry, I did not inquire on price. When I went to check out, I shocked to find that each page cost $1.50 to print. this showed up as a charge for over $100 on the bill. When I told the person who checked me out that the cost was outrageous, I was informed that the business center was an independent contractor and that the charge "is what it is." I begrudgingly paid it, but then complained to Intercontinental Hotels. I recently received a refund of half of the charge of the printing.

Bottom line, I got the impression that the staff wasn't interested in provinding any value, or helping the customer. Perhaps they are only interested in guests that have tons of money to blow without giving it any thought. While the facility was very nice, I would be reluctant to stay at the hotel again.

• Liked — Room and Fitness Center
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business