“Great room with hotwire price!!”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
new hampshire
“Great room with hotwire price!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Myself and 3 friends recently stayed here for an evening. Valet me us out front and took the car to park. Check in was smooth and the room was good size. I booked this trip on Hotwire so it was only 170.00 a night and for downtown Boston I was impressed. I do not know if it is a 5 star because I never really felt that wow this place is exceptional but that being said its for sure a 4 star. The bathrooms are gigantic. A tub that is seperate from a large ( room for 2 ) stand up glass shower. The staff seemed friendly what limited contact we had with them. The only down side of the stay was the fire alarm at 4:15 am which I guess unless they pulled it intentially there is nothing they can do about that . I would stay here again for sure and would recommend going through Hotwire to get a room. Hope this helped some of you!!!

• Liked — Location,Price on Hotwire
  • Disliked — Fire alarm at 415 am
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank coronaman1978

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I stayed at the Intercontinental for a week in August and overall I would say that the hotel is fine. Though there were two things :

1. When I checked in I asked for a room away from the elevators, but unfortunatly the hotel was booked and I was right near the elevators and the ice machine. The ice machine began buzzing loudly at about 12:30am on my first night and the hotel immediately moved me (so much for being sold out) - however, they moved me to another room on a different floor which was also right next door to the ice machine. I had a few buzzing problems again and each time I called down it was immediately fixed, but it's still annoying. I had a great rate of $159 through TravelZoo, so I was willing to overlook some of the issues, but had I been paying the $275+ rate, I would have been fuming.

2. The window from the bathroom to the bedroom is just odd. I was by myself, but the design really wouldn't provide any privacy for a couple.

3. There was an issue with my rate, but the manager did quickly fix it. And overall, they were very responsive the problems I had.

Overall a fine hotel - and the beds were really comfortable.

• Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Hawaii03
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I stayed in the InterContinental Hotel in Boston from 8/19/2007 to 8/23/2007 for a conference.

My reservations were made for the dates of the conference (8/19/2007 to 8/23/2007) by a travel agent working through my particular conference. When I arrived on 8/19 and tried to check in, the front desk staff said that their records showed I should have checked in on the day before and that they were going to charge me for a whole additional night (which isn't exactly pocket change!). I showed them my reservation, which had the dates of my stay 8/19/2007 to 8/23/2007. I tried to cancel my reservations there and they insisted that I would have to pay for the night before we came anyway. To add additional pressure, they said they would give away my room if I didn't check in immediately. Because I wouldn't be able to find a hotel room in that general during the conference, I ended up having to stay at this hotel.

I asked for the manager, and he insisted that despite what the our reservation paper said, I had to pay for the additional night because it was their policy... even though my paper said otherwise. He was very rude and did not offer an apology. On 8/23/2007, while checking out, I tried to talk to the manager again about the reservations being messed up. He told us there was nothing he could do about the mistake they made on my reservation. Then he told me that he "remembered" that my reservation different check in date than was actually on my confirmation sheet; that it was my fault because I was stupid and couldn't read our confirmation paper.

Staying at the hotel turned out to be a mistake because this hotel did not live up to it's four star potential. One design flaw with the hotel there is a panel of frosted glass over the top of the bed, which opens up to show a panorama the toilet and shower. This was annoying for two reasons: 1. a small piece of glass does not provide the same privacy that a wall would if you are using the bathroom, and 2. if someone uses the bathroom at night, the whole bedroom is lit up.

The list of the following reasons are the problems we had with our room.

1. A family with a young child was staying in the room next to us. We could hear the family's conversations clearly, as well as the child's screaming fits through the adjoining door (please see the picture).

2. The pipes under our sink in the bathroom leaked all over the floor making it slippery (please see the picture).

3. There was hair in the bathtub when we checked in (it was not our hair).

4. The tv had very bad reception (please see the picture).

5. The handle was falling off the bathroom door, making it difficult to get out of the bathroom.

6. The alarm clock wasn't sufficiently loud and was easy to sleep through.

Overall because of the problems of with our room and with the rude management, I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — close to the BCEC conference center, quiet area, good restaurant suggestions
  • Disliked — rude management, hotel nickel and dimes you to death, dirty rooms, location far away from everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank chickles
USA
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Intercontinental Boston is classed as a 4.5* hotel and a 4.5* hotel it is. Better than a 4* but not as good as a 5*. Essentially all the positive reviews stems from the fact that it is new, modern, spacious, well located and cheap if booked through priceline or hotwiere. The negative side is that the reception staff are not very good, you do not have staff waiting on you hand and foot as you would in a 5* hotel and the room lacks the minute touches of elegance, like slippers or a laundry bag.
That said for $130 a night, it is a bagain!
The pool and gym are very well designed and it really made my trip to Boston. The beds are very nice too.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank VincentChase
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed August 11, 2007

On a business trip in Boston's Financial Center I found the Intercontinental to be excellent. The meticulously-clean and spacious rooms, clever layout and amenities, splendid views and superb business location made it a perfect choice. The only negative was the absence of a hotel directory identifying the hotel amenities - the fitness center and other facilities. When I asked the concierge about a directory, he advised that it was on one of the television channels. During my stay the television channel was off the air although there was a general Boston tourist channel and a hotel events channel, but no directory on any channel. As a result I was unable to identify or use many of the amenities at the hotel.

• Liked — spacious rooms and room amenities
  • Disliked — condescending and unhelpful concierge
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank TexTraveler1
BackpackingTexan
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I stayed here after driving all day from Virginia during my move to New Hampshire. I had my bed strapped on top of my truck and although my car wouldn't fit in the garage, the bellmen unloaded it and found a place to store it overnight. (The manager on duty, a smaller woman who talked very quietly and who I could barely understand, was not helpful and very adamant that my car would not fit, but 2 bellmen actually made it happen against the wishes of an annoyed manager). When we checked in they had bumped us up to a junior suite with a great view of the harbor.

The room was spotless and the bathroom was huge with a great shower and a nice size tub. Everything looked brand new and I thought we may have been the first people to stay in that suite, because it was so clean and tidy. The bed was amazing and the sheets and pillows were perfectly soft. The only problem was that the 30 inch flat screen LCD TV had a grainy picture. This seems to be more common in the new larger hotels when the cable is split too many times between the rooms and the signal is degraded. However, if you stay at this hotel don't waste your time watching TV. The North End is just a few blocks away and there is a great walk along the harbor to the aquarium and other attractions just outside the hotel.

When we checked out, the hotel had charged us $100 for a bunch of drinks we didn't drink out of the mini-fridge. Apparently there is an automatic sensor on each individual drink if you pick it up or even move it. The front desk rectified the problem immediately, but I am assuming this is a common problem and that this system won't work because that really set me off when I heard that touching the bottle automatically charges your room. (You can't even tell what some of the bottles are unless you pick them up or move them around). Don't let the hotel charge you for this, and if for some reason they do, go back to the room and take whatever they charged you for.

When I was leaving the manager on duty, a really helpful 40 something man, got a bellman and personally loaded my bed back onto my truck.

Night manager and mini bar aside, this hotel was one of the best I have stayed at. The decor, while appearing cheap Vegas/trendy simplistic, was actually very functional and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BackpackingTexan
Upstate NY
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Loved the clean, modern design of the lobby and rooms. Plenty of storage in the marble bath with glass shower and European soaking tub. My favorite spot was the patio in back of the hotel. No outside pool but very comfy chairs with huge pots of flowers, looking over the water to the Children's Museum.

My only complaint, and it is an important one to me, is that there was no coffee maker in the room. One of the pleasures of staying in a luxury hotel is enjoying a quiet cup and reading the paper before heading out. Room service coffee was exorbitant.
A coffeemaker could be rented for $20 and then $10 a day. It's not the money as much as the inconvenience. Speaking of pricey, parking was $39 + a night.

We enjoyed dinner at LTK (Legal Test Kitchen) and breakfast at the new Flour Bakery on Congress and Farnsworth. The best scone I ever ate. Dinner at Hammersley Bistro is always a treat. That chicken deserves it's reputation.

The Rhumba Bar at the hotel was very popular and noisy. We opted for the quiet comfort of the Rowes Wharf bar just down the street.

Would also recommend the new Institute of Contemporary Art. It's within walking distance. Make sure you check out the view from the 4th floor gallery and pick up an ipod at the admissions desk to listen to a free self guided tour.

1 Thank jhaze