“Very Nice Hotel- and I am 'picky'!”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights with wife and daughter. Good, friendly check-in. We were booked as 'run of the house' and were given a Delux room at the front of the hotel, 8th floor. Lovely modern room, nice size bathroom, great view at front of hotel. (no tea/coffee).
Hotel is very modern in a large, sleak sky scraper- stunning to look at and 5 mins walk from harbour restaurants and city centre.
Breakfast was very good, service good throughout.
There was some noise from construction next door on entry to the hotel and the breakfast area, but it was not troubling.
The bar area near the lobby also got lively and noisy, but again no bother to us.

All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2010

It is wonderful to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us. It is true that we are next to a building that is under construction, although as the project moves forward the noise is less obvious as the work is moving inside the building. We can offer a coffee maker in the rooms upon request, I am sorry if this was an issue during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I hope that you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Boston

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed here for Valentine's day with my boyfriend during Feb. 2009. The rate was relatively expensive, but a good value for a luxurious 5-star hotel in beautiful Boston, MA on a Saturday night. We easily checked into the hotel and received a beautiful corner room with a city view. The room was stylish, sexy, spacious and immaculately clean. It had an extremely comfy bed with a lounge/couch at the foot of the bed, desk, other seating, and a mini bar with a tiny section available for your own food/drink (not too much fits in it, but they do offer a bucket and ice machine so we could put our champagne in there instead). The bed has a window above it with small sliding doors that can be opened to look from the bathroom into the bedroom. This little design feature lets you watch the flatscreen TV from the bathroom and if you're really enjoying the change of scenery from the bedroom they even provide a phone to use next to the toilet. I guess it's just one of those "extras" you get with the 5th star! My favorite part of the HUGE bathroom though was the separate walk-in shower and bath. Though I didn't try the bath, it looked nice, and the shower had sufficient water pressure. The shower doors are clear though, so if you had the sliding window doors open to watch your favorite game or show on TV you may be a little exposed to the rest of the room. On that note, I agree that this hotel would only really suit couples or solo business travelers (although I'm not sure how rooms with 2 beds are set up!) The room was quiet and the location felt safe. We used the indoor pool which was cool because the glass roof allowed for a nice view of city buildings. The hotel isn't in the heart of Boston - it is closer to the waterfront which is nice, but not extremely convenient to other parts of the city if you're a tourist, i.e. Fenway Park, theater district etc. Faneuil Hall was walkable but it was a pretty far walk and we took a cab back at night. I didn't use the T but I think the closest stop is South Station. We're not Boston tourists and we were only there for one night so we braved the freezing cold to walk to Joe's American Bar and Grill on the waterfront and then to Faneuil from there. We stopped in at RumBa before heading up to our room, but didn't stay for long since we were tired. The atmosphere seemed nice and I would probably go back to the bar another time even if not staying as a hotel guest. We had a line for check-out that moved relatively fast and left the beautiful hotel only wishing we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you review, we appreciate you taking the time to go into so much detail. I’m happy that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed your Valentine’s Day! The design of the room is very unique and has a residential feel. Our King rooms do have an optional opening between the bathroom and bedroom. Our Double rooms however, do not have this window; it is only available in rooms with one bed. We are located on the waterfront, just 2 blocks from South Station, so you would be able to get to public transportation in less than 5 minutes. We have also recently changed our check-out options. Now you can check-out via your TV or dial an express check-out extension on your guest room phone for a completely paperless check-out! We can email your folio if you choose to leave an email address.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

First time in Boston...booked a good rate on Hotwire $119/night. given a room with the view of tall building under construction. Room was clean and very nice. Asked if upgrade was avialable...Told it would cost $50 to change view, same type of room. No other upgrade possible sinceI I "booked online thru Hotwire" . Front desk person was unfriendly. Seemed offended I booked thru Hotwire.

Not given enough towels on second night...called to ask for more...took a long time....called to ask again, told by front desk agent that he was busy and had not had a chance to put in out towel request., towels eventually delivered.
Concierge was friendly and helpful with advice and booking for Duck Tours.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CandidMom

I am happy to hear that you had a good experience with our Concierge Staff. They are a great resource for tourists and locals alike! I hope you had a great time on the Duck Tour. I am sorry to hear that your room location did not meet your needs. I can assure you that the way in which you booked the room in no way affected your room placement. Thank you for reviewing our hotel as it is always helpful to hear about how we have exceeded our guest’s expectations and certainly how we can improve.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had not been to Boston for some time, and were blown away by all the changes.
The Intercontinental exceeded our expectations, right from the check in. Chris was able to get us a room on the tenth floor , overlooking the city, which was just fine. The room was very spacious, with a huge bathroom boasting a stand up shower and soaker tub .All amenities were first rate, including the gym and pool, dining areas, etc.
It was within walking distance of the N€w England Aquarium, The Constitution, Quincy Market, and great shopping and resturants. We walked to TD garden for a tour, caught the subway to Fenway for their tour, walked the waterfront, and had a super time.
I have been reading trip advisor reviews for years, and the intercontinentaly was the catalyst for me to be a contributor

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a long weekend in Boston. We got a great rate from Hotwire ($119/night) and were very happy to see that we were booked at the intercontinental Boston.

The hotel is very nicely situated about a 10 min walk from Quincy Market and the waterfront and maybe about at 15-20 min walk from the North end.

As we drove down from Montreal we arrived a little later in the evening (8:30pm). After check in, which went very smoothly we realized that the hotel had put us in a room facing the new building being constructed next door. After reading some of the reviews on this website I knew that construction goes on late into the evening so I quickly returned to the reception and asked if it would be possible to get a new room. The nice lady behind the desk was able to find us a room on the other side of the building a couple of floors up. Once that was taken care of everything was great.

The hotel was very clean and the room are very nicely appointed. Be made aware that internet is $14.95 per day but there are plenty of free Wi-Fi hotspots if you need, outside of the hotel. Parking was a little bit more expensive than what we are used to in Montréal at $38/night but we knew that before arriving.

Overall we had a great experience and would return if we were able to get the same rate. At their standard rate, I don't think it would be on our list. I would recommend this hotel at a discounted rate. Otherwise you would be able to find another hotel a bit closer to the action for the same as their standard rate.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mtl26

Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that we were able to accommodate your room change request and that you were happy with the result. I do recommend that you look into joining our Priority Club Rewards program. You can earn points for your travel at any of the brands within IHG. We often have guests who use their rewards nights to stay with us.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I wanted to revisit Boston after a long absence and the area of the city where this hotel is located is unrecognizable. Due to the Big Dig and locating the Expressway underground, this area is beautiful, accessible and active. It is very easy to walk around and get to Quincy Market and the North End, and the waterfront is lively. The hotel was full of people, some of them were very loud in the halls until after 2 AM, which I found very inconsiderate, but not the hotel's fault. I had gotten a rate from Hotwire and was offered a better room at a higher price, which I refused. The room I had was right off of the elevators, which was somewhat noisy. The room was pleasant and the bathroom was wonderful----glass enclosed shower and a huge, deep tub. I was surprised that there was no bubblebath for the tub, as it is clearly for soaking. I had parked outside of the city and took the subway in, and the South Station stop is only two blocks away which was great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank smvermont
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Assistant Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2009

I am happy to hear that you were able to return to Boston and stay with us. It is true, our location has changed quite a bit and the transformation has been quite remarkable. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and I am sorry if the noise was an issue. Please keep in mind that we have Security in the hotel 24/7 and we can always have them check the situation if there seems to be excessive noise. Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I booked this hotel because it was supposed to be nice, and it's pretty close to the airport. Flying with my wife and kids from the west coast, we wanted an easy end to the long day of travel. This seemed ideal. Plush, close to the airport. We had a pre-paid reservation.

We appeared at the front desk, exhausted. "We have had a problem with our computers today. We don't have a room for you."

"What?"

"We did find you a room about a 40 minute drive from here." Much handwaving about computers. (I suspect they got a lot of last-minute people. So they looked at my reservation, saw that I had gotten a good deal, and decided to roll the dice and sell the room to someone who they could charge more.)

An hour later, they had made the arrangements, supposedly. "Go to the Holiday Inn Select, we'll fax them and let them know you are coming."

We showed up at the Holiday Inn Select in some nasty little suburb way north of downtown Boston. No fax. Fortunately, I had asked for a copy of the note they were going to send. So we checked in, and finally got to bed, 1:30am, with my two small kids.

Thanks, Intercontinental Boston!

They promised to have the general manager send me a note of apology and an offer to let us stay for free in one of their suites sometime in the future. I haven't heard a peep from them.

Thanks, Intercontinental Boston!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank BigGlasses09

Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I would like to apologize for the negative experience that you had with us. I can assure you that that this is not the service quality that we strive to provide our guests. Without more information, I cannot speak to the exact circumstances surrounding your relocation upon arrival at the hotel. I am hoping that you will respond to the message sent to you through Trip Advisor so that I can be sure that you are contacted as you were promised. Again, thank you for sharing your experience.