“Nice Hotel, Staff unfriendly/unwelcoming b/c online booking.” 3 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel, Staff unfriendly/unwelcoming b/c online booking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

First time in Boston...booked a good rate on Hotwire $119/night. given a room with the view of tall building under construction. Room was clean and very nice. Asked if upgrade was avialable...Told it would cost $50 to change view, same type of room. No other upgrade possible sinceI I "booked online thru Hotwire" . Front desk person was unfriendly. Seemed offended I booked thru Hotwire.

Not given enough towels on second night...called to ask for more...took a long time....called to ask again, told by front desk agent that he was busy and had not had a chance to put in out towel request., towels eventually delivered.
Concierge was friendly and helpful with advice and booking for Duck Tours.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CandidMom
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
I am happy to hear that you had a good experience with our Concierge Staff. They are a great resource for tourists and locals alike! I hope you had a great time on the Duck Tour. I am sorry to hear that your room location did not meet your needs. I can assure you that the way in which you booked the room in no way affected your room placement. Thank you for reviewing our hotel as it is always helpful to hear about how we have exceeded our guest’s expectations and certainly how we can improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had not been to Boston for some time, and were blown away by all the changes.
The Intercontinental exceeded our expectations, right from the check in. Chris was able to get us a room on the tenth floor , overlooking the city, which was just fine. The room was very spacious, with a huge bathroom boasting a stand up shower and soaker tub .All amenities were first rate, including the gym and pool, dining areas, etc.
It was within walking distance of the N€w England Aquarium, The Constitution, Quincy Market, and great shopping and resturants. We walked to TD garden for a tour, caught the subway to Fenway for their tour, walked the waterfront, and had a super time.
I have been reading trip advisor reviews for years, and the intercontinentaly was the catalyst for me to be a contributor

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a long weekend in Boston. We got a great rate from Hotwire ($119/night) and were very happy to see that we were booked at the intercontinental Boston.

The hotel is very nicely situated about a 10 min walk from Quincy Market and the waterfront and maybe about at 15-20 min walk from the North end.

As we drove down from Montreal we arrived a little later in the evening (8:30pm). After check in, which went very smoothly we realized that the hotel had put us in a room facing the new building being constructed next door. After reading some of the reviews on this website I knew that construction goes on late into the evening so I quickly returned to the reception and asked if it would be possible to get a new room. The nice lady behind the desk was able to find us a room on the other side of the building a couple of floors up. Once that was taken care of everything was great.

The hotel was very clean and the room are very nicely appointed. Be made aware that internet is $14.95 per day but there are plenty of free Wi-Fi hotspots if you need, outside of the hotel. Parking was a little bit more expensive than what we are used to in Montréal at $38/night but we knew that before arriving.

Overall we had a great experience and would return if we were able to get the same rate. At their standard rate, I don't think it would be on our list. I would recommend this hotel at a discounted rate. Otherwise you would be able to find another hotel a bit closer to the action for the same as their standard rate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mtl26
Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that we were able to accommodate your room change request and that you were happy with the result. I do recommend that you look into joining our Priority Club Rewards program. You can earn points for your travel at any of the brands within IHG. We often have guests who use their rewards nights to stay with us.
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I wanted to revisit Boston after a long absence and the area of the city where this hotel is located is unrecognizable. Due to the Big Dig and locating the Expressway underground, this area is beautiful, accessible and active. It is very easy to walk around and get to Quincy Market and the North End, and the waterfront is lively. The hotel was full of people, some of them were very loud in the halls until after 2 AM, which I found very inconsiderate, but not the hotel's fault. I had gotten a rate from Hotwire and was offered a better room at a higher price, which I refused. The room I had was right off of the elevators, which was somewhat noisy. The room was pleasant and the bathroom was wonderful----glass enclosed shower and a huge, deep tub. I was surprised that there was no bubblebath for the tub, as it is clearly for soaking. I had parked outside of the city and took the subway in, and the South Station stop is only two blocks away which was great.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank smvermont
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Assistant Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
I am happy to hear that you were able to return to Boston and stay with us. It is true, our location has changed quite a bit and the transformation has been quite remarkable. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and I am sorry if the noise was an issue. Please keep in mind that we have Security in the hotel 24/7 and we can always have them check the situation if there seems to be excessive noise. Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston.
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I booked this hotel because it was supposed to be nice, and it's pretty close to the airport. Flying with my wife and kids from the west coast, we wanted an easy end to the long day of travel. This seemed ideal. Plush, close to the airport. We had a pre-paid reservation.

We appeared at the front desk, exhausted. "We have had a problem with our computers today. We don't have a room for you."

"What?"

"We did find you a room about a 40 minute drive from here." Much handwaving about computers. (I suspect they got a lot of last-minute people. So they looked at my reservation, saw that I had gotten a good deal, and decided to roll the dice and sell the room to someone who they could charge more.)

An hour later, they had made the arrangements, supposedly. "Go to the Holiday Inn Select, we'll fax them and let them know you are coming."

We showed up at the Holiday Inn Select in some nasty little suburb way north of downtown Boston. No fax. Fortunately, I had asked for a copy of the note they were going to send. So we checked in, and finally got to bed, 1:30am, with my two small kids.

Thanks, Intercontinental Boston!

They promised to have the general manager send me a note of apology and an offer to let us stay for free in one of their suites sometime in the future. I haven't heard a peep from them.

Thanks, Intercontinental Boston!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BigGlasses09
Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I would like to apologize for the negative experience that you had with us. I can assure you that that this is not the service quality that we strive to provide our guests. Without more information, I cannot speak to the exact circumstances surrounding your relocation upon arrival at the hotel. I am hoping that you will respond to the message sent to you through Trip Advisor so that I can be sure that you are contacted as you were promised. Again, thank you for sharing your experience.
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

Recommended. The room was large and very comfortable. Great location, on the dockside close to main downtown, Little Italy and Quincy's Market. Also right next to to access to interstate/Mass Tpike. Because it's a 5 star hotel, extras are expensive, but we got a good rate for a room with two double beds.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Assistant Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand that there can be frustration with extra charges, but I am glad that you found value in your room rate. It is also good to hear that you enjoyed all that our location has to offer. I hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next trip to Boston.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Enjoyed a great stay. Both the room and its bathroom were large and well-appointed. Just a short walk from live entertainment at Rowes Wharf. While the front-desk staff could be warmer, they were efficient, professional and ultimately helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you would choose to stay with us again. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of the outdoor entertainment in the waterfront area. If you are ever with us on a Tuesday in the summer we offer tequila tastings and salsa dancing in our outdoor Medallion area for Sushi-Teq. Thank you again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again soon.