“Very nice, but view and room location?”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Very nice, but view and room location?”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental on July 11. We used my husband's Priority Points to book the hotel, which is perhaps why we were given a room with a full view of ugly construction going in the the building right next to us. Our room was also right next to the elevators...noise from late night party people kept waking us up. I did not feel like complaining because we were there to have fun and enjoy ourselves. As loyal Holiday Inn customers, I feel that we should have had "priority" treatment, and instead we were placed at the bottom of their list.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
I am sorry to hear that your room location did not meet your needs. I can assure you that the way in which you booked the room in no way affected your room placement. Although our urban location does have its appeal, at times one of the challenges is the noise from the adjacent building as that project is entering its final phase. We certainly strive to give our priority club members the best service possible and we are truly sorry if we did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for reviewing the hotel and we will be sure to take the necessary steps to avoid this issue in the future. Thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
NYC
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks on business and I do travel for a living, so believe me when I tell you there staff was rude and snotty! The front desk and concierge acted like they were the guests and that you were bothering them when ever you asked them something. In one instance I was at the front desk just standing there texting a colleague when the front desk girl came by and said in a snotty tone, "may I help you with something", obviousoly I was texting someone and should not have looked like I was in need of any help!, so I said " is there a problem with me standing here texting someone?" and she pointed to seats accross from the desk and said " there are seats over there", so I said back again, so I cannot stand here and text someone?, and she said once more in a snotty tone and pointed " there are seats overthere". Whatever, this hotel for the amount of money it cost, forget it! Down the street is the Marriot Waterfront, I should have stayed there, they would never treat anyone like that.

Signed, One pissed and insulted business traveler!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
I am very sorry to hear that your experience during your stay was not consistent with the high level of service we strive to achieve. I am sure our desk agent meant no offense by her comments, but I have followed up with our front office manager to be sure something like this does not happen again. Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I can only hope you will consider us in your future travels.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Stayed three nights over 4th of July weekend. The hotel was full, but we still got a great rate on hotwire. My sister and nephew met me for the weekend and we enjoyed swimming in the pool and sitting in the steam room each morning before getting on our way to walking around the city. What a great city to be in for the 4th! The hotel was a block from the subway which goes everywhere and very close to the harbor and Fanuiel Hall. Perfect location! The desk staff were very friendly, the room was in excellent condition and the amenities and toiletries are wonderful. The bar was happening, but the music was a little overdone and the bar service I found wasn't great, but aside from that, I loved it and I will go back. Looking forward to it!

• Stayed July 2009
Thank you for joining us for July 4th weekend and for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always nice to hear when guests take advantage of all that our spa and health club have to offer. You may also be interested to know that we are running a free “Sunrise Yoga” class every Saturday morning until September 5th. I do apologize for the noise from the bar. We do try to keep the sound to a level that will not negatively affect our guests and I apologize if this was not the case during your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again.
mass
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed here 4th of July weekend, wonderful hotel! Got a good internet, non refundable rate. Yes, bar and breakfast were a bit pricey, but that is Boston and we just enjoyed oursleves and did not worry! What a place, excellent service, beautiful room. RumBar was great, breakfast was very good. We ate at Cafe Fiore in the N End and Ruth Chris'-both excellent. Had lunch at Barking Crab and Florentine Cafe, drinks at all the various places on the waterfront. Great time! We will stay here again~

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your holiday weekend at our hotel! Fourth of July is a very exciting time in Boston. Thank you for reviewing us and I will be sure to pass on your comments to our colleagues. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests who were able to truly enjoy the thriving waterfront area. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Fredonia, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2009

No problems at check in, we were given a room on the 12th floor overlooking the city. The room was very nice, and clean. The bathroom was large, with a separate shower and tub. There is a "window" above the tub, which was frosted glass that could be open or shut. During the night if you used the restroom and turned on the light it lit up the entire room because it was all glass.

Cons- The room rates can be very pricey, and you have a lot of choice in Boston. We had a great rate, so this was not an issue, but not sure I would be willing to pay $250+/night. Parking is $39/night with in/out privileges. This is fairly common in the city. There was an open air parking lot over the bridge for $1/hour, but was not as secure and a 10 minute walk, just not worth it for us. The hotel is a bit out of the way, we enjoy walking so this was not an issue for us. The standard hotel guide was not in the room, so no info regarding the fitness center, business center, ... When I asked about it I was told "we can tell you all the information regarding the property" and began to ramble. Personally I would prefer a written guide to look up what I need. I wanted to print a single page; the minimum cost to get online in the business office was $6.00 and $1.50 a page. I was told the concierge would print boarding passes.

Pros- Clean attractive property with nice rooms. Beds were comfortable; pillows were way to small and soft for my liking. The bar downstairs was very nice and fairly busy. This may be because there were some of the most reasonable drink prices I have ever encountered at a hotel. A beer and mix drank ran about $9 a round, we paid $10-14 almost everywhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Boston. Your points regarding the extra charges are well taken and we can assure you that our pricing is competitive with other hotels in the area. Regarding the property information in your room, we do offer an in-room quick reference guide. Although this is not a standard hotel directory, it highlights the TV Channels as well as in-room amenities such as internet and references the TV Channel where other hotel related information can be found. I apologize if this was not clear. It is wonderful to hear that you also enjoyed your experience at RumBa. Thank you for reviewing our hotel as it is always helpful to hear about how we have exceeded our guest’s expectations and certainly how we can improve.
Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel did not appear family friendly when booking. However, I have to say we were plesantly surprised to find the staff more then accomodating to our 4 roudy children. I think this hotel was mostly geared toward the business traveler, however we were treated with the most accomodating professionals. The concierge staff was excellent, knowlegable and willing to direct us, one was even from disney world, so her opinion about kid appropriate activities seemed to be right on the money. It is within wakking distance to all the major activiities, a little far from the science museum, but right next door to the kids museum and aquarium. We traveled during the crazy 4th of July weekend and the hotel was sold out. They did run out of pillows and blankets, which made it a little difficult, being a large family we usually travel with our own just in case. The room had only 1 king bed as there were no 2 bed rooms available, this was a little dicey, however they accomodated with a cot and the bed had a large sete at the end of it, the other 2 kids got the floor. 5 star service and excellent location, wonderful experience overall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JuliaFlorida
It is wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us over the 4th of July weekend. Our staff works very hard to be attentive to the needs of all of our guests and due to our extremely close location to the Aquarium and Children’s Museum we are especially mindful of the needs of families. The Fourth of July weekend is a very busy and exciting time in the city and we are glad we were able to accommodate your family! We look forward to having you and your family back on your next trip to Boston.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I took my husband to Boston for a surprise birthday getaway, and we truly enjoyed our stay, with a few exceptions.

Pros: The "standard" room was beautiful, new, and unique, with modern decor and and a very comfy bed. We got a kick out of the shutters above the bed that opened into the bathroom. The bathroom was exquisite with a deep soaking tub and separate shower. I bought the "breakfast" package, which was a good value. Breakfast was delicious, and the service was great. The main restaurant was never crowded, and there was an outside terrace on which we could dine. We found the concierge very friendly and helpful as well, since we had never been to Beantown before, and needed some guidance.

Cons: The front desk personnel was snooty, fake, and didn't seem to care one bit that this was a special weekend for us. We stayed at the Williard Intercontinental in DC for my birthday a few months prior, and upon check-in we found a birthday note from the management with a delicious little birthday cake. I expected the same level of service at the Boston IC, and even after making it very clear to the staff that I wanted something special like that prepared, my request was ignored.

At check-in, I inquired about a water view room, and was told that it would be an extra $40 per night for the upgrade. I accepted the upgrade, but was thoroughly disappointed with the "water view". You see, the hotel is constructed in 3 sections. The 2 outer sections are condos. They rise higher, are built out further than the middle section, which is the hotel section. Therefore, when we looked out our window, most of the view was of the side walls of the two outer towers, with a little glimpse of the channel, which was just plain ugly. Not worth $80. We stayed in the room, but if we could go back in time, we would have just downgraded back to a regular room.

The location is good, but not ideal for this hotel, as there are plenty of nice hotels closer to the "action" of the harbor, South Side, and markets. But, Boston is a walking city, and I wouldn't say that it was "inconveniently located".

All in all, if you like really nice, luxurious hotel rooms, like we do, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank panzergirl
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologize for the issues that you did encounter during your stay and although we always strive to make every stay extra special, it is clear we did not fully accomplish this for you. I am sorry that the upgraded room did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for your review of our hotel and we hope we will see you again soon.