“Good but could be better”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I think i got off on the wrong foot with this place when i checked in... the lady behind the counter confirmed my booking as an executive room with ocean view (or wording that was something similar), then in the next breath said there were none of these rooms avaible so she would move me to the "city side".. I can say i honestly didnt care until she made the point of reading out what i had booked and then straight away saying she couldnt do that. I immeadiately said i wanted a room to match my booking... just as i was annoyed.. i know thats small but why would you read it out if you couldnt do it ! She then typed for about 5 minutues and finally announced that i could have a room that matched my booking. Upon going to my room i found it had probably the most limited sea view possible in the property !..so yes she won anyway. The motel is obviously quite expensive and i also found it annoying that you had to pay for WiFi !.. you could walk out the place and 5 mins be at the market where it was free !!! I had to get some washing done and one item was misplaced, after about 5 calls to housekeeping over 3 days it was eventually found... apparently my description of a white t shirt with the word Canada in red writing on the front was vague and confusing !

It is in a good spot and the rooms are very good.. just that all the things above annoyed me with a property that is obviously quite expensive.

The bed, bathroom etc are all fantastically comfortable and i am sure most of my frsutrations wouldnt occur to other guests... except the WiFi ... seriously this should be free !

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve M
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry to hear of the troubles you experienced upon your recent stay. Both the room confusion at check-in and the fact that your laundry was temporarily misplaced are simply inexcusable and you are correct that your stay could have (rather should have) been better. We strive to provide our guests with consistent, top-notch service and I sincerely apologize that this did not happen on your recent visit.
I thank you for your complimentary comments about our guestrooms and bathrooms and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Boston so that we have another chance to exceed your expectations!

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Boston

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Although there were 6 weddings happening the weekend we stayed there, it was a great weekend hotel during fall foliage. We stayed on the club floor and enjoyed great food, snacks and breakfast in the club room. Only problem was that our room was not ready for two hours after check in. Visited October 12, 2013

Room Tip: Ask for city view not the one facing the office building
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

From the moment we arrived the customer service was excellent. Our room was very comfortable and 5 star in standard. The location in Boston was well worth the cost of the hotel with all major attractions nearby.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Nice property that treats Ambassador guests well. Rooms are nice and well equipped. Nice outside area and a S&W next door. Very quiet at night as the financial district shuts down early. Overall, a great place to stay in Boston.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visited October 11, 2013
My wife and I and 2 friends stayed for 2 nights in Boston on a get-a-way weekend from Canada. We paid for the upgraded Club class which gave us a very nice room on the 11th (of 12 floors) and access to the club lounge. The lounge was great as it offered hot food twice per day and free alcohol in the evening. The food was good enough that if we hadn't wanted to go out for dinner, we would have been quite content to eat there.

All service staff were helpful and friendly and we had no complaints about the room. The hotel was pricey, but then all downtown Boston hotels are pricey. We would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the water side of the building. There is a fire station across the street from...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear GoKingBee,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; it is always great to hear of our guests’ positive experiences and I’m glad that you were able to enjoy the amenities of Club InterContinental. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Boston!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I brought our teen nephew and niece to Boston, and we were looking for a place on the waterfront that was nice and also pet-friendly. We had stayed a couple years ago with our dog at the Boston Harbor Hotel which I believe is the #1 rated hotel in Boston (which I agree with) but their prices are so much higher that I knew I would need to book a hotel less expensive for two rooms/two nights. I was able to get a more affordable rate at the IC and with the help of their great front desk manager, Ed Woods, we were able to book two water view rooms. I expected the IC to be good, but also thought I might be disappointed compared to the BHH. I have to say, I LOVED the IC and did not miss staying at the BHH at all! The IC is in the same location (just a few doors down) and access to the greenway was right there as well. The rooms were really nice and big, and while the view of the water is more the river and not the direct harbor, it was still really pretty and interesting. The hotel itself is really big and modern, and has a great bar and restaurant. We didn't get to eat there because of our dog, but we grabbed a drink and takeout from the bar which was great. The staff was really fantastic all around, and especially as I mentioned Ed Woods. It rained one day we were there and Ed let us use 4 hotel umbrellas, and I saw him giving out many of them to others. Next time I go to Boston, I will stay at the IC, which I would consider the best all around hotel for its value without compromise. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I would get the water view, although the city view is in a good location too.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

By far, the best place to stay in Boston. Ophilia, Ed, Marc, and Jessica made our 30th Weddding Anniversary the best of times. Their hospitality, destination suggestions, and "over the top" personal care is second to none! We will return often. You must stay here and enjoy the best that Boston has to offer in Hotel Accomodations.

Dear MTDoran,

What a wonderful review to read – thank you for taking the time to provide this great feedback and recognize some of our colleagues! I’m so glad that we were able to make it a memorable and special anniversary celebration and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

All the best,