“Intercontinental Boston”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good location, on the water, close to South Station subway. We were able to walk to the aquarium and Quincy market. We took the subway to Prudential center and Fenway park.
We got a good deal on Expedia, so we were happy with the price.
Concierge was very helpful with our questions and was happy to print us off maps of the subway and local attractions.
Check-in was fast and efficient. The staff we encountered were very nice and helpful.
Nice rooms and bathrooms, well maintained.
We asked for a room with 2 beds because we had our daughter with us, I wish the beds had been queen sized, they were only double.
We enjoyed the pool, very clean with nice views.
We did not eat at the hotel as breakfast was 26$ per person for a regular breakfast...no thanks. We walked to a diner 5 min away.
Wi-Fi is not free (which is crazy!! You can walk to the waterfront and connect there for free), parking was expensive (although not surprising in Boston).
On our last night there the fire alarm went off, woke us up from our sleep and we had to evacuate the building. I found the announcement to evacuate unclear, other guests were also unsure if the message stated we needed to evacuate or not, we left anyway. The incident scared my daughter as we were unsure what was going on, I guess it was a false alarm. It took a while to get back to sleep after all the commotion and with the noise of the guests returning to their rooms. Hopefully they will make their evacuations/fire alarm announcements clear in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor(unless you can't walk down all the stairs in the event of a fire alarm) and a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emapema
Write a ReviewReviews (4,577)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our stay. We book our king room for $180 (inclusive of all taxes and fees) on Priceline Express Deals (super value). Check-in experience was superb, as the staff showed a very positive attitude. I asked for a higher floor and got one of the highest floors. I asked for a water view (but without upgrading) and got a room with a partial water view. Throughout the hotel's construction and furnishing, it exudes a 5-star experience. Thick carpeting, tasteful decor, nice finishing details, well-appointed room. Even the closet doors were made of heavy solid wood. We especially liked the bathroom layout that opens into the bedroom. Very romantic.

Now for the minor flaws. The hotel is located in the Financial District, which means the area shuts down after work hours and on weekends. Quincy Market and North End are about 20 minutes away on foot (through quiet and sometimes dark Financial District streets). At night, it's probably safer to take a taxi or use the subway (South Station).

The 10th floor view was nice, but it took awhile for hot water to reach us in the morning--literally a couple of minutes, so turn on the hot water and go make yourself a cup of coffee.

Our room was generally quite and sound-insulated. As part of a suite arrangement, however, we were able to hear noises through the locked common door connecting our room to the neighboring one. It started with a loud clang in the evening, followed by iPhone alarm at 8:30am and loud arguments.

Watch out for the mini-bar refrigerator. We used the fridge to cool down fruits we brought with us. In jest, I also showed my wife the ridiculous $8.00 can of M&M's. At check-out, the hotel got the last laugh as an $8.00 charge showed on my account. It turns out that the mini-bar fridge is equipped with electronic sensors that detect movement of its contents. Fortunately, the friendly staff removed the charges, but I was annoyed that I needed to take extra time to check out.

In spite of these small annoyances, we thoroughly enjoyed our mini-cation stay at $180.

Room Tip: As for partial water view for no additional charge.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

To start with we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite on the harbour side which was perfect in every respect. Large comfortable room & bathroom. Fruit and water provided each day. Restaurants were busy but service was great as well as the food. Concierge was very helpful for all our requests. Would definitely stay ther again on our next trip to Boston. Highly recommend it as you are in the heart of Boston a short walk to the Market and downtown

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Busy and impressive with a good location both for business and leisure. Nothing not to like, reasonable size room and bathroom, comfortably furnished with a good bed. All well maintained. The previous positive reviews have it summed up accurately. But of course such luxury comes at a price and with extras. My only gripes are the expensive Wi-Fi, charged even in the bar and lobby area. The patio restaurant which has a good outside location was chaotic, with resulting poor dinner service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OleDunk
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Excellent hotel and location. Room spacious and comfortable with great views. Stayed a couple of nights before and after a trip to Cape Cod. Only disappointment was having Platinum status meant nothing other than acknowledgment at check-in.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

First I would like to thank Mr Ditterline for a job well done. We were impressed from the start. I stay with Intercontental hotels and this one top notch.It was my wedding anniversary and we flew to Boston to meet my new son in law.Every part of the stay went great, we were able to get rooms next to each other with a great view. The staff was great from the time we pulled up from the airport to the time the hotel dropped us off at the cruise terminal. THANK YOU

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the InterContinental in early June for a work conference. I was given a twin room (I prefer King but they'd none available) and thought the two beds were pretty small. This & the lack of night time turn down service was my only disappointment with the hotel. Otherwise its location is nice and the hotel inside is lovely. My room was very comfortable with a really great bathroom. Awesome big bath and separate shower. The food at the conference was very good - better then one would expect when catering for a big group.
I also had lunch on two occasions at the bar and both times ordered the same thing as it was that good. I had a Caesar salad with shrimp and it was really delicious. The bar/restaurant were nicely decorated with good water views. It's not clear to see that when you arrive a the hotel and just go from lobby to elevator and room. I would highly recommend trying the food there (certainly at lunch time) the menu was good & prices were decent.
I hope I get to stay at the IC again in the future.

Room Tip: Book king over twin room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business