“Wonderful Rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee
“Wonderful Rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

As our first time in Boston we just guessed at where to stay, we were extremely happy with the Intercontinental hotel. The room was very large and the bathroom was wonderful, both shower and tub were perfect. Everything was super clean and the stay was more than comfortable. The staff were very helpful with directions and it is only a 5 minute walk to the red line. I would recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone!

• Liked — The bathroom was amazing and it was extremely close to the red line
  • Disliked — The price for wireless internet was rather high
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
York, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

Eight of us girls stayed here for the night while in Boston for a Bachelorette Party. We booked two rooms on Hotwire and got a great price.
Upon arriving, our vehicles were valet parked and we proceeded to the front desk for check in. We requested smoking rooms b/c some of us smoke and the woman at the front desk said there was only one floor of smoking rooms and they would happily put us there. In fact, she said that because we were willing to have both rooms on that floor, that she would upgrade one of the rooms to a suite at no charge! (I think they have a hard time filling the smoking rooms maybe. Regardless, we were happy w/ the free upgrade.) The lobby area was nice and open and very clean.
The two rooms weren't as close together as we would have liked, BUT, that was okay, because we all hung out in the suite anyway. The suite was a HUGE living room with nice decor, flat screen TV, which led to a door that opened to a small entry way to the bedroom. To the left was a spectaculor bathroom. I agree with the other reviews when they say how great the bathroom is. To the right was a large walk in closet. Straight ahead was a good size bedroom with a king bed. The only thing that I didn't like about the bedroom was the sliders above the bed that opened into the bathroom and you could hear everything in the bathroom. I wouldn't have cared if I was with my boyfriend, but with a group of girls staying, in the middle of the night every single time the toilet flushed it would wake you up.
We did have a few drinks at the Rumba Bar. I thought the atmosphere was nice but also thought the drinks were overpriced.
I agree with the previous post that said that getting your car back from valet at the end of your stay isn't set up very well. It's not a classy set up at all, compared to the rest of the hotel.
Overall, I'd stay here again if we could get a good price on Hotwire. I didn't think the regular room (not the suite) would be worth over $400 a night. Especially since this location isn't as great as being over in Copley Square.

• Liked — bathrooms
  • Disliked — getting car back from valet
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shelbs97
middletown , connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

This Hotel was Beautiful! I went for a weekend trip and wished i could stay longer. Our room was on a high floor with a nice view. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was very accomodating. The restaurant sushi-teq was delicious. I never though the combo of sushi and margaritas would taste so good. The blood orage-strawberry was my fave! And the eel avacado melts in your mouth. I hope to return soon!

Stayed March 2008
Danvers, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

My fiance and I are from the northshore, and we wanted to have a weekend getaway in Boston. I got the room through Hotwire.com for only $129, which was great. Check in was quick, and the lobby of the hotel, while sparse, was clean and nice. When we got to our room, however, we found a room with 2 double beds. Upset, I went back downstairs and asked the woman if we could get a room with a king. She said there was no way to accomadate us. I was very frustrated, however, she wasn't budging, we got nothing. Our room faced the fire department, but it was quiet. Although the room was quite far from the elevators, it was quite a walk.
We never went to the Rumba Bar or SushiTeq, however, they were quite busy when we got back at 1AM. It was nice to wake up to the Boston Sunday Globe at your door. The room itself was nice, we ended up pushing the 2 beds together, and the glass shower and separate tub was quite an amenity. However, we only had 2 bath towels, and had to ask for more. The large flat screen TV was nice as well.
I don't think we'd stay here again, however, it was nice for the location and for just an overnight stay.

• Liked — Location, glass shower in bathroom
  • Disliked — Unaccomadating front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katybish
cape cod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. The room was tastfully decorated and had one of the best bathrooms I have ever seen. One issue we did not like was the impression of valet parking which it's not, you did have valet parking upon arrival but at checkout you were instructed to proceed through the hotel to an elevator which took you the basement garage were you presented your ticket to an attendent in a parking booth. They were very unorganized and took approx 5 min to retrieve our car while standing with all of our luggage in the parking garage, Not exactly my idea of valet parking. The lounge was nice although trying to get the waitresses attention was difficult and it was not even busy. Overall the hotel was very nice and in close walking distance to the North End and Fanueil Hall.

Stayed September 2007
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

I got a great rate through Hotwire at this major new hotel during the middle of winter, aka the "Low Season", of $129/night. Even the full rate was only $245, which for a hotel in this category in a city as popular as Boston is pretty reasonable.

Overall I recommend the hotel, but let me review some of the pros and cons.

PROS:

1) ROOM. We were booked into a standard king room. While the actual usable space of the room was a bit smaller and boxier than I expected, it was certainly comfortably sized, and the bathroom is enormous (see number 2). Design-wise, there were a few cheap-feeling fixtures, but overall the Intercontinental has succeeded in creating a room that is distinctly modern but not cold or sterile-feeling like a lot of other newer hotels. Wood furniture and colorful walls help keep it homey. Lighting was both excellent and innovative (all kinds of bright and dim mood-type lighting options around the bed and work areas, plus lots of recessed lighting in the entrance hallway). Workdesk was spacious with easy outlets (although I was expecting something like an aeron chair, and instead it was a more basic deskchair). Flatscreen was like every other flatscreen and worked well, with a massive selection of cable channels.

2) BATHROOM. This is really the best part of the room and maybe the entire hotel. They really went out of their way on these. Absolutely massive, with beautiful lighting and tilework, spacious glass shower and separate bathtub, fixtures, bath amenities, etc. And of course the fun little extra that everyone mentions - two small sliding doors open up between the bathroom and bedroom area. I wish my home bathroom was a fraction as nice as this! If you're someone who relishes your time in the shower in the morning, this is undoubtedly the Boston hotel for you.

3)BAR. I'm used to hotel bars being either really bland or overly pompous. The hotel's signature bar, RumBa, is easily accessed right off the lobby, which immediately creates a welcoming, easygoing but classy vibe for one and all. This was reflected in the clientele, which was made up of every kind of person imaginable, young and old, casual and more formal. Also they have genuinely created a cool concept that would be worth visiting all by itself - a bar with an emphasis on dozens of rare rums and champagnes (far more rums than champagnes though). Pricey but not as bad as you might think for such rarities! Service was speedy even on a very busy Saturday night, and despite the crowds, it was easy enough to find a seat, relax and have a conversation without screaming. This is one of the best hotel bars I've ever seen.

Also, honorable mentions for the hallways, which are beautifully decorated and inviting, and the elevators, which were huge and always available to us within seconds.

CONS:

1) LOCATION. Boston is such a small city that there's really no such thing as "bad location". However the Intercontinental is located in the new Waterfront district, an area that only really came into existence as a result of the tunneling of I-93 in the "big dig" which was completed a few years ago. So what you have in this area is a lot of construction and new office buildings. The area is definitely lacking in the cozy New England-type charm that you get in most other areas of the center city. It's also on the edge of the downtown core, so it's a fair 10-15 minute walk to Fanueil Hall, and areas such as Newbury Street and Beacon Hill are really more of a cab or T-ride away. On the plus side, the lovely South Station is really close, so the T, Amtrak, etc. are within very easy reach. Still, you won't feel the real cobblestone-and-colonial charm of Boston in the immediate vicinity of this hotel, nor will you find the hotel to be "right next door" to anything special.

2) LOBBY. There are a number of good elements to the lobby - cool music, little nooks with bookshelves, the above-mentioned bar - but overall, it just doesn't hang together well and doesn't give a great first impression. It feels overly minimalist, and somewhat like the entrance to an office building (which is exactly what it looks like on the outside). I know this isn't a big deal for most people, but it was still disappointing for a hotel of this stature.

3) ROOM NOISE. The large exterior windows of our room were definitely double-glazed and quiet, but we could hear noise from adjacent rooms, even from the room upstairs! This was surprising given how new this hotel is and the insulation options they must've had available during construction. If you're a light sleeper, you should definitely take this into consideration.

Overall, if you're looking for a thoroughly contemporary hotel, luxurious and modern rooms, and don't mind walking to, rather than being immersed in, the Boston you've seen and read about, the Intercontinental is an excellent choice.

• Liked — Room, bathroom
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank danwer930
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

I had a lovely stay at the Intercontinental in January. It's a classy new hotel with stunning architecture when viewed from the waterfront, and is a great landmark for Boston. Inside the foyer is huge, restaurant/bars areas tastefully designed and staff were attentive. The rooms are as spacious as I've ever stayed in and the sliding partition between the bathroom and bedroom areas a nice touch. It's possible to watch TV converse with somene while relaxing in the bath for example. Having a separate bath and shower is a also big plus for me. The hotel is close to the Italian areas in North Boston so there are lots of little restaurants etc that have more character that I've seen in other areas of the city.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business