“Pretty Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Pretty Hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The hotel is located by the waterfront, a block away from the South Station Commuter Rail. It was super easy for us to get from Boston to Harvard Square Cambridge using the red line.

It was not as central to sites in Boston as I would like but still walkable - a little over a mile for both Faneuil Hall & Newbury Street.

The room was beautiful, nicely decorated with lots of room, floor to ceiling windows with great views.

The only weird thing was that there was a big window above the headboard that opened to the bathroom. Even with the sliding window closed, there was still a one inch gap at the bottom - so that you can see into the bathroom and can hear everything going on.

I was with my husband, so it didn't bother me but if I was staying there with a friend, I guess I would be self conscious using the bathroom ;)

Note: Internet is not free. Parking is 40$/night

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Boston! All of our employees work as a team to create the perfect, seamless visit for our guests. Our hotel’s prime location truly enhances our guests’ stay in Boston, and we are glad that you decided to explore the area! Next time you visit, stop by our Concierge for great ‘in the know’ tips about Boston. It is always great to hear that our guest had an amazing stay, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
SC
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I'm part of the Ambassador program, so when I was upgraded to the 12th floor, I was excited, until I opened my blinds to see that I was looking at a brick wall. No big deal, didn't come to sit in my room. Front desk was very friendly, and helpful. My trip was cut short and they worked with me so I wouldn't have to pay for an extra night.

The worse experience was at Rumba. By no means waste your time here. We were not dressed up, so I guess I looked as if I couldn't afford to sit at their bar. I ended up tweeting INCBOS to tell them about the rude service, never was given a reply. However, if you tweet about arriving, they reply immediately. Overall, good stay, just stay out of their bar and you will be happy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Keswick, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Nice hotel, walking distance to Ouincy Market, Freedom Trail, Harbour, and North End.
The rooms are well appointed and very clean. We travelled as a family of four with two teens. Our room had two queen beds, plenty of space and a large bathroom with a walk in shower, soaking tub and vanity mirror.
We booked on Hotwire and stayed for a very good rate.
We ate breakfast at Panera bread. When you exit the building go left a couple of blocks.
We enjoyed parking the car down stairs and walking to everything for the three days of our stay.
The pool is located on the second floor, at the spa and gym area. We found it not to be too kid friendly. It's more of a lap pool than a kids on vacation pool.
If you have not stayed at a four and a half star before, check this out. It was a highlight of our vacation! Be sure to do the Boston Gliders Segway tour. It's a fun way to see the city!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank keswickdoodle
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel! Our sophisticated, elegant guestrooms are the perfect fusion of beauty and practicality; a place where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We are delighted you got a chance to visit our spa. Upon your next visit, hopefully you will have time to indulge in the calming atmosphere and various services we have to offer. We are thrilled that you had an amazing time on your family vacation at our hotel, and we hope that you will visit us again soon!
LA
Reviewed July 11, 2011

First Time to Boston and we had a great time
Stayed at the InterConti and it was great. Nice suite with great views and located within walking distance to everything you want to see in Boston. I would pay and do the Club Level if you can, free internet and at least you get a great breakfast before you explore this great city. Eveyone was great, a few hiccups but what do you expect. Some weird rules about their outdoor patio area and a LA attitude bar tender, but all in all a great hotel. Worth going and taking the family. Also a fantastic gym

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PacificAndyLa
ICBoston, at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay with us. We are within walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as the New England Aquarium and Faneuil Hall. If you return during the warmer months the water taxi is a fantastic way of transportation to and from the airport. With a dock right behind our hotel it is convenient and a great way to tour the Boston waterfront during your ride. It is delightful to hear from guests who truly enjoyed their stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I joined two friends who had traveled from Australia. We stayed for one night as 3 adults and had requested, via Hotwire.com, 2 double beds. That request was not honored by IHBoston. The desk stated, when we pressed for more information, that the room was confirmed but not the number of beds. They could not accommodate us, only offering the rollaway bed. They tried to charge for the rollaway bed but my friends were insistent that we not be charged.
I was very upset that my friends were upset by the hotel's obvious condescension toward us regarding our Hotwire relationship.

Intercontinental Hotel Boston does NOT meet the standards of a four or five star hotel. The water pressure in the sink and shower was barely minimal, the hair dryer was old, with duct tape on it. There were no flowers in the lobby, poor lighting, unhappy staff.

My father was CEO of Intercontinental Hotel Corp. for twenty years, before Pan Am had to sell the profitable subsidiary. I've been lucky to stay in a number of IHC hotels over the years.

Entering IH Boston felt like stepping into the dark ages. There was no life, sparkle, dignity, elegance and in fact, it felt as though there was no manager at the wheel.
I was disheartened and deeply disappointed on behalf of my traveling Aussie friends. I had gone to the hotel and prepared to toast the memory of my father who passed away 8 years ago. Instead, I felt ashamed of Intercontinental Hotel Boston, on behalf of my father and all the hard work he and his staff put into making the hotel chain the best in the world.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank sheeline
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We got a deal of $150 for this room through Priceline. Pretty room, more modern, with a window (closable) from the bedroom into the bathroom. The room and bathroom were spacious. We had a great view of the city, with the Boston Fire Dept. right across from us. My sister and her husband had a harbor view, but nothing spectacular to be honest. If you have a choice, choose the city view. The concierge was very helpful with dinner choices. The lobby is pretty. There is a back "Patio" where you can eat and have drinks. It was nice along the water, but the service was sooooo incredibly slow just for drinks, kind of ridiculous in fact. Still, I recommend. Comfy bed, nice big TV, very very clean. The AC wasn't as cool as I would have liked though. Exercise room is very big and nice equipment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kabecka
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Our concierge agents are dedicated to keeping our guests “in the know” and to provide insider knowledge of the city. Next time you visit us, be sure to check in with them again to discover new insider tips on Boston. We are truly sorry for the challenges that you encountered during your visit on our patio. Our hotel staff strives to provide the highest level of service and in this instance we clearly were not able to meet your expectations. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. We appreciate your review and hope you will return soon.
Vermont
Reviewed July 6, 2011

stayed 1 night and we were very impressed.Our room was beautiful.we will go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology and lifestyle enhancing amenities. We are glad you enjoyed each detail we put into ensuring a relaxing and wonderful stay for our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.