“Delicious food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
Description: Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent a lovely evening enjoying some of the amazing offerings of this excellent restaurant. The guacamole is so good, made right there in the dining room. We filled up on an assortment of appetizers and small plates, including fish and shrimp tacos and vegetarian quesadillas. They were out of Churros so had an alternate dessert that was delicious. I would have given a higher review if we were not so seated so close to the bar and had customer and staff traffic on both sides of our small table.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am just in love with this restaurant. The moment that I walked in I felt like I was on vacation...then I ordered a margarita and it confirmed that feeling. The shrimp tacos are amazing and the mole enchiladas are delicious. Come here if you want yummy, fresh Mexican food.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Guacamole was fantastic and so were the margaritas. Loved the chillita, mangpuree, jalapeño simple syrup and tequilla, with a chile salt rim - good, good, good. Chile rellenos was truly delicious. nice comfortable atmosphere.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Went there just for a quesadilla and guacamole! The quesadilla was probably one of the best I've ever had. I know that it isn't one of their main dishes but its nice to see that they do all things with excellence. Additionally I thought the guacamole was great. It was a little too limey for what I'm used to but I appreciated that it was different.

Additionally, even the salsa that they gave us in the beginning was one of the best I've ever tasted. If you're in the mood for Mexican, this is the place to go!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was looking for a nice place to meet family for dinner to celebrate a birthday. Took a chance on Zocala and was not disappointed. Almost had the place to ourselves at 6 PM on a Sunday, which made us nervous. But we soon settled in.A couple of us had margaritas: the Zocala was tasty,and not at all sweet. We ordered the guacamole and were asked how spicy we wanted it. While it was prepared for us, our lovely server brought us fresh chips with equally fresh and yummy salsa. Soon the guacamole arrived in a tufa bowl, and the generous serving was enjoyed by all. The server kept us well supplied with fresh chips.

For entrees, two of ordered the tacos, which were really more of a small plate portion.One had the Baja shrimp, the other grilled fish. Both were great, and we rounded out the meal with a shared plate of avocado chips, which, though fried, were not at all greasy. The two carnivores had chicken dishes, and though usually they are difficult to please, try both were very satisfied.

We had a home-made birthday cake in the car which we were going to bring back to the apartment, but we asked our server if it would be ok bring it in. He said there was usually a plating charge, but to bring it in. He brought us plates and a cake knife and server, and added a candle.

We had a great evening out at Zocalo. the food and drinks were outstanding Mexican food without being pretentious, the service was attentive without being overbearing, and the ambiance was wonderful for a casual dinner and conversation.We'll be sure to return!

1  Thank ACT-MA