“Favorite Restaurant in Boston”
Review of Toro

Toro
Ranked #80 of 3,273 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South End
Description: Toro is a Barcelona-style tapas restaurant located in Boston's South End. We serve traditional and modern Spanish-style small plates made with locally sourced and sustainable ingredients. Toro is owned and operated by James Beard Award-winning Chefs Ken Oringer & Jamie Bissonnette.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I love going to Toro--but only when I can get there early (within 15 minutes of opening)--otherwise it is long waits in a very crowded and small bar area....but a wait well worth it! The food and drinks are amazing.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was the second visit for my wife and I, and the maiden voyage for our adult daughter. As with our first experience, the food and service were exemplary and we unanimously agreed that we would all be back again.The variety of small plate offerings can overwhelm one so my advice is to weigh the recommendations of the wait staff heavily in your decision making. They are very familiar with the menu and do a good job of suggesting things that suit your palate. We have dined at all of Ken Orringer's restaurants and have never, ever been disappointed. Toro is no exception.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

If you get nothing else here, get the grilled corn. I have not had corn like this before or after. It is amazing. There is a lot to say for the other food as well: the jambon serrano, cheese, and other dishes. We had several appetizers and that was fine for us, very filling for two people. Unfortunately, this place doesn't take reservations, so the only way to guarantee yourself a spot is to go when it opens, or slightly before and just wait at the door. Otherwise, you face a one to two-hour wait, especially on a weekend. The place is very cramped, loud, hot...not especially comfortable. The tables are so close together, the waiters have difficulty getting in and out. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic evening, go elsewhere. This place is about the food. I hear they opened a Toro in NYC recently as well. I'm sure it will do well there, too.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Recently my husband and I dined at Toro for the first time. After hearing about the long waits we decided to be there when the restaurant opened. The restaurant is so small. It seems like a garage converted into a dining room. If you are looking for a nice ambiance look elsewhere. The food is the real star here. The service was also good but a bit rushed. Though I can't blame the servers as the whole place is jammpacked and they are trying to acommodate to the people who have 2 hour waits. Some of the food we had were real winners; the grilled corn, tortilla espanola, jambon serrano, smokey eggplant, some potatoe dish I forget the name and the sliders. The only dish we could not finish was the crispy porkbelly with a side of kimchi. They just did not work well together. Would I go back? I would love to. But it is too inconveniencing for us as the restaurant does not take reservations. So, until the restaurant moves to a bigger place and starts taking reservations, we will stay away.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Every time I go to Toro, I have to get the specialty of the house -- warm, buttery, garlicky corn, perfectly cooked and slathered in aged cheese. The sauce is finger-licking good. I've never had a bad plate here, though -- the seafood, cured meats, steak and salted peppers are all amazing.

I love the ambiance and the staff members -- it's a lovely casual dining experience, and the prices are reasonable. I do agree that the place can get crowded and the waits can be long, so try to go on an off-peak night like Monday or Tuesday, or an off-peak time (right when they open or closer to when they close).