“Sleek hotel with all the amenities”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #39 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We stayed in this hotel during the weekend of the Boston Marathon. Location was not ideal for the marathon, but once we figured out the T, it was fine. In better weather, it is only a mile or so to walk to all the Boston attractions. The Silver Line T (World Trade Center stop) is very close. The room was beautiful and was exactly as pictured. The bathroom was very nice with granite countertop, a robe, and nice big towels. The bed was extremely comfortable - best hotel bed I've been in. Service was great, especially for the large crowd staying there. The gym was very nice with lots of machines. Pool was a little small, but nice. Room service food was so-so, but the food in the lobby with the bar service looked awesome. The bar was really nice and they even had a guy making sushi. I would definitely stay here again. It's not the best location if you want to have all the Boston attractions right outside your door, but I liked having the big hotel with all the amenities and didn't mind the location.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank OhioChowhound
Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed April 15, 2007

We’ve just spent the weekend at the Westin Waterfront in Boston celebrating our son’s birthday. Initially we were disappointed in not being able to find a hotel at a central location due to the Marathon, but the hotel was so nice that it made the distance factor a mute point. The hotel is large (about 800 rooms), sleek and modern. The lobby is dramatic and was pleasantly filled (even at 10:30 at night) with people socializing. Check-in was a snap, in spite of the fact that the hotel was totally sold out. Our rooms were spanking clean, modern and roomy. Our bed was wonderfully comfortable, so much so that my husband, who is usually a very early riser, slept until 9:30 the next morning. We had a huge flat screen tv, Starbucks coffee and tea for the coffee maker and a variety of ultra-modern conveniences. Our bathroom was roomy and modern and had beautiful granite countertops and a stone floor. The pool, which we did not have the time to use, looked beautiful. There was a Starbucks in the lobby. Check-out was also very easy. The employees were polite and helpful, including after putting our two sons in a room with a king sized bed rather than two doubles as requested. They were conscientious about security and insisted that I come down to the registration desk to identify my sons. I appreciated this detail, despite the fact that it required I get redressed, after a recent experience in a luxury hotel where I was offered a friend’s room key by a hotel employee when she didn’t answer her room phone. I would return to the hotel without hesitation, with the one concern being its out of the way location. There was public transportation right near by, but we never needed to use it. My impression is that one gets far more for the money by staying a bit out of the center of downtown Boston.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront this past weekend and overall, enjoyed the experience. The rooms look exactly as pictured on the site - very modern and comfortable. The bathrooms are a nice size, slate floor and granite countertop. The room was pretty clean - and I am very, very picky about cleanliness. We did notice that the walls are a bit thin -- meaning if your room is quiet (i.e., you're trying to sleep) and someone in the room next to you is watching TV, talking or flushing the toilet -- you can hear it. There were also a lot of kids on our floor that were incapable of walking from the elevator to their room, so they ran. Sprinted. Needless to say, that was anything but pleasant.
But the entire hotel is pretty swanky - nice cocktail hour in the lobby bar..very relaxing and good feng shui, if you're into that. And having a Starbucks in the hotel is more than convenient - it's dangerous! But it proved to be a life-saver after our experience in the hotel restaurant, Sauciety. This is no fault of the hotel, but it could have been the worst dining experience we've ever had. There was a breakfast buffet for $21 (normal price for a hotel restaurant) which supposedly included everything on the buffet table, as well as almost everything on the menu..? The explanation didn't make much sense to us - our waiter was rushed and had a think accent. But he took our orders and never came back to the table again. My fiance wanted to modify his order but never had the chance. So he asked another server to place an order for him (which was never placed) and to have our server come to the table - and he never came. My fiance finally tracked him down and had him come to our table, so we could ask if he was still our waiter and tell him how unhappy we were with the situation. Instead of talking to us, he had the manager come out. But that was the best option, as he handled everything very professionally and apologized to us for the inconvenience. We appreciated it but we'd never, ever dine there again.
The other thing to consider with this hotel is that it's not actually in the downtown Boston area - it's near their World Trade Center and Boston Convention & Expo Center. But there's a bus/train station nearby - so you can get virtually anywhere in the city via train, even to the airport. We learned the airport lesson the hard way, as we took a cab to the hotel once we'd landed at Logan, and even though the Westin is about 3 miles from the airport, it cost us $20! We took the bus on the way back -- much more cost effective.

• Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed April 5, 2007

The hotel was beautiful, staff was helpful. But the best part was the help I got after realizing I had left items in the room safe. Already about to board a plane for Texas, I called the Westin, and they retrieved my items and FedEx'd them to me, and I had them by the end of the week! That alone will bring me back, as I know that in many places I would have never seen those items again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bric14
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Attended a conference hosted here the week of March 26th. The room, bed and facilities were fine. On my last night, I filled out the breakfast menu card and hung it outside on the door as directed. Since I had an early afternoon flight, I thought I would spend my final morning enjoying a casual breakfast in the room. I requested the breakfast be brought to the room at 8 AM. When it had not arrived
by 8:45 I called room service and asked about it. I was told the kitchen was running a little behind and I would receive a call back with an update. At 10 AM, still not having received breakfast or the promised call back, I went down to the restaurant where I was seated and ordered breakfast. This thoughtless behavior marred what was otherwise a pretty good experience for a VERY patient person.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank miredintx
Reviewed March 28, 2007

I got a good rate and I'd been dying to try this new Westin. There are parts of it that are standard Westin-glam. Dark wood, dramatic entrance, etc. But there are several details that felt more like a big, "value" convention center hotel. For instance there are great design elements in the room including dark wood furniture and a big mirror over the desk. But the closet is this industrial door with an industrial door knob and hinges. It's jarringly out of place in this hotel. Overall it feels more like a Sheraton than a Westin. For the right price, it's a fun hotel but I fear that because it's a Westin the prices are going to climb and it's certainly not as nice as other Westin's I've stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank zuttoman
Reviewed March 11, 2007

I live 20 miles outside Boston and my wife and I come into town quite often for a late dinner and a night over. I use priceline quite often and decided to try 4 stars /S.Boston,waterfront area. Knowing that the only 4 star properties available would include the Westin, I gave 100 bucks a shot. Sure enough, the Westin took it.

My comments on the hotel are as follows:
valet parking is pricey @ 36 bucks.
flat panel tv in room is a nice touch
The hotel is brand new so all of the bathroom fixtures, tub etc are clean and the bathroom mirror is great.
Legal Test Kitchen is a not your regular Legal Sea Food restaurant. Great place for dinner only 2 blocks away on D St. and an easy walk from the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel for someone attending a conference next door. Also, perfect for a copule that lives in New England who wants to try something new but doesn't feel the need to stay downtown to do the sightseeing thing.

Paul H.