“Perfect for Business trip at Convention Center”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Stayed for a business trip at the adjacent Convention Center - perfect location for that which made it very easy to go back and forth all day long.

Nice decor - seems like a pretty new hotel, very clean.
Room was decorated in "minimalistic" tones - ala a "W" style.
Liked the convienance of a Starbucks right in Lobby
VERY close to Logan Airport
Spacious, open lobby - easy for improptu meetings/drinks
Ate lunch at Irish Pub restaurant - was ok, a little slow but it was crowded from conference breaking for lunch.

Yes, its not in the heart of the city as others have mentioned - but if you are on a business trip or need to attend convention center - its great.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this property while attending a tradeshow at BCEC. Perfect location for this. Not so great spot if you want to see the main tourist spots of Boston. Nothing was in walking distance in my opinion. I ate that the Irish restaurant at the hotel a couple nights just for the convenience factor. It was fine, but like many hotel restaurants--over priced.
***Watch your credit card statement after your stay**** I had a $6 charge for a bottle of water in the room that I did not use. Some of my co-workers that stayed at the hotel also had a $9 charge separate from their hotel stay charged to their card!! Not cool.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2009

It is a new hotel, superb decor and extremely clean. However the located is very inconvenient and you will live by taxi no matter what you want to do. Only recommended if you have business right next door at the convention center. I now read someones review on here about a shuttle service (which never came) to take you to the subway station, but the hotel never mentioned it to me and now after my trip this is the first I am hearing about it!

Breakfast prices (and other meals) are way extremely overpriced, they have you there as a captive audience and they grossly overcharge for breakfast. Buffet is the best value (at $24.00!) and the quality of it is mediocre at best. On a 1-to10 scale I would rate the breakfast a "2" And there are no other options nearby. Servers in the restaurant were inefficient and had no personality. I only ate there one morning and after that I just skipped breakfast every day, at least they had coffee right in the room. Breakfast including tax and tip was $28per person, and that is the cheapest possible. On the menu, they have the nerve to charge $6 for a glass of orange juice, and yet when you walk through the restaurant you can see right into the kitchen that they must have had 25 cartons of orange juice in the cooler, all 1/2 gallons that you buy wholesale for $2. I know a restaurant is there to make a profit, but to buy something for $2 and resell it for about $24 or more is simply insulting. Quality of croissants is better at Sam's Club or Costco, these were horrible. No made to order omelettes, no other egg choices than scrambled buffet eggs. It was the breakfast experience that turned me completely off to this hotel.

Front desk staff was inefficient. Good at getting you checked in and good at getting you checked out, but that was it. I overheard my colleague being asked if he wanted a paper in the morning and therefore he got one. I was not asked, and I did not get one. Wake up call request left at the desk never materialized. Billing problem at check in with another colleague. I suspect they have many new staff lacking experience at reception.

The only reason i'd go back to the hotel is the decor, but then again, I would perhaps make it one of my last chance hotels and stay there only if they had a substantially reduced rate that could not be matched anywhere else in the city.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RobNewYorkCity
ExecutiveAssistant32, Donna M. Frechette, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. We do like to respond to all feedback, whether it is positive or negative since it only makes us better equipped to serve our guests in the future.

We were saddened to read the comments posted concerning your breakfast dining experience and will use those comments to bring new life to our restaurant menu by adding more egg varieties to our buffet. Other breakfast dining options would be Starbucks, located in the lobby of the hotel, or perhaps the Seaport Deli which is a very short walk across the street from the hotel. There are also at least a dozen new restaurants that will be opening in the coming months.

In response to your comments concerning location, we do have a complimentary shuttle service that runs between the financial district and Faneuil Hall Marketplace. There is also public transportation such as the Silver Line, and the South Station T stop is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel which can take you to just about anywhere in the city you'd like to go.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

I went with some friends and my partner to Boston in March of 2008 for St Patrick's Day. We stayed at the Westin Waterfront. The first thing we noticed was that it was not in very good range of "T" station, as we were coming from the airport. It was, however close to a shuttle that takes you to the station.

The hotel was amazing. It was very beautiftul and modern-as if you just stepped into a big Ikea. The rooms were very nice; perfect for out get together for the weekend.

The overall experience was great until my last day. I found out a family member of mine had past while I was away. I was in the lobby area, and decided that I would go to the poolside restroom to compose myself. My boyfriend went with me to console me, and not 90 seconds after we went in there, a Gentleman with a Westin Badge came in, and told us to "Take that crap to your room", and just stood there staring at us. I felt so terrible.

I sent a letter to Westin regarding the matter, and security said that since I didn't know the man's name, nothing could be done. I got a letter from the hotel manager saying that this is not the norm, but I still paid $480 to be insulted. I cannot recomend this hotel for Boston.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pavlosaohna

Thank you for the feedback you provided. It should be noted that although a letter of apology was sent to the guest by the General Manager, our Director of Security did follow up with the guest by telephone in the hope that he could provide additional detail but he was unable to do so. It should also be noted that The Westin Boston Waterfront does not discriminate in any manner. We would welcome the opportunity to provide a flawless experience for the guest if he returns to the Boston area in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

I generally like Starwood properties and was pleased with this Westin overall. It is relatively new, the room was nicely appointed and I found the service to be good. The concierge with helpful with directions and dinner suggestions.

Not too keen on the location because there is little to do within walking distance. We were told there was a shuttle that would take us to the train station but after waiting a long time, we gave up and walked to the station and took the subway to Copley Square. Oddly, we ended up having dinner at the Westin there.

One advantage of the location was the proximity to Logan airport. I took the Silver Line from the airport and was at the hotel in about 20 minutes. I was surprised that the hotel website did not mention this option. I only knew of it because I called the hotel and specifically asked if there were public transportation options from the airport.

Big convention hotel so lots of traffic and noise. Hotel is not on/near the water and the view from my window was not “Harborview” but “abandoned empty lot view.” I know it is not fair to compare prices of hotels in different cities but I could not help thinking back to my stay two weeks earlier at the W Midtown Atlanta where I had a much larger nicer room for half the price of the Westin Harborview. I was at this hotel for business but given the price/location would probably not choose to stay there if I were traveling for pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Westin Boston Waterfront is located 3 miles from the airport and is easily accessible by taxi, water taxi or public transportation by way of the Silver Line and the South Station T stop which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Our complimentary shuttle service to the financial district and Faneuil Hall Marketplace runs between 5:00-8:00 PM during the week and 4:00-8:00 PM on the weekends.

Reviewed June 21, 2009

The Westin Boston Waterfont is my "go to" place when I take my clients to the Boston Design Center, but this time my wife and I went to celebrate my birthday. And celebrate we did -- a very special thank you to Donna Frechette and the wonderful folks at the Westin for an unexpected upgrade to a Harbor View Suite (awesome room with living room/dining room and bedroom!) and a beautiful cake and candles waiting when we arrived!!
It made for a very happy and memorable weekend at the hotel that was already my favorite Boston property!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
ExecutiveAssistant32, Donna M. Frechette, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2009

Thank you for the kind words you had for our hotel. Although you may have missed it, we do in fact have a jacuzzi in our pool area and I hope you will enjoy it on your next visit to Boston. We are also looking into expanding the hours of our complimentary shuttle based on the positive feedback we have received.

Reviewed June 17, 2009

This hotel is only two years old.I stayed here for three nights last September (Irish bar not open then) and two nights this June. Location is not on the water as the name implies, you can lokk at the water some blocks away. I prefer Starwood Hotels and am a Gold member of SPG. There was no SPG Gold/Platnuim lobby desk had to wait with all other guests. Every eemployee of the hotel was profisional and friendly and asked how they could help. Rooms are spacious and beds are great. I did not have a laptop and the expensive business center did not offer SPG members use of a computer with out charging $6 per 15 minutes. Pool is excellent and is not small, needs a jacuzzi. Gym is Westin par good machines. Last year when I paid a rate for the room I was upraded to a harbour facing room on the 14th floor. This visit I was given a room facing the convention center on the 8th floor. I was using Starwood points and cash for the room Breakfast maybe that is why I did not get a higher floor. Thebuffet was expensive at $23.00 and they closed it a half hour early to set up lunch. As all Starwood hotels the bill was under the door on the last night and express checkout saved time. We used the shuttle (great driver)to go to Fanuiel Hall, it should run more hours of the day not just 5-7:30 PM. I would stay here again. Room service great food and service but it was expensive when %20 service charge plus $3.50 delivery fee (paper said does not go to server) and tax.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo