“Room for improvement/Not Gay Friendly”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas/Fort Worth
“Room for improvement/Not Gay Friendly”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I went with some friends and my partner to Boston in March of 2008 for St Patrick's Day. We stayed at the Westin Waterfront. The first thing we noticed was that it was not in very good range of "T" station, as we were coming from the airport. It was, however close to a shuttle that takes you to the station.

The hotel was amazing. It was very beautiftul and modern-as if you just stepped into a big Ikea. The rooms were very nice; perfect for out get together for the weekend.

The overall experience was great until my last day. I found out a family member of mine had past while I was away. I was in the lobby area, and decided that I would go to the poolside restroom to compose myself. My boyfriend went with me to console me, and not 90 seconds after we went in there, a Gentleman with a Westin Badge came in, and told us to "Take that crap to your room", and just stood there staring at us. I felt so terrible.

I sent a letter to Westin regarding the matter, and security said that since I didn't know the man's name, nothing could be done. I got a letter from the hotel manager saying that this is not the norm, but I still paid $480 to be insulted. I cannot recomend this hotel for Boston.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pavlosaohna
ExecutiveAssistant32, Donna M. Frechette, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Thank you for the feedback you provided. It should be noted that although a letter of apology was sent to the guest by the General Manager, our Director of Security did follow up with the guest by telephone in the hope that he could provide additional detail but he was unable to do so. It should also be noted that The Westin Boston Waterfront does not discriminate in any manner. We would welcome the opportunity to provide a flawless experience for the guest if he returns to the Boston area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Memphis TN
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I generally like Starwood properties and was pleased with this Westin overall. It is relatively new, the room was nicely appointed and I found the service to be good. The concierge with helpful with directions and dinner suggestions.

Not too keen on the location because there is little to do within walking distance. We were told there was a shuttle that would take us to the train station but after waiting a long time, we gave up and walked to the station and took the subway to Copley Square. Oddly, we ended up having dinner at the Westin there.

One advantage of the location was the proximity to Logan airport. I took the Silver Line from the airport and was at the hotel in about 20 minutes. I was surprised that the hotel website did not mention this option. I only knew of it because I called the hotel and specifically asked if there were public transportation options from the airport.

Big convention hotel so lots of traffic and noise. Hotel is not on/near the water and the view from my window was not “Harborview” but “abandoned empty lot view.” I know it is not fair to compare prices of hotels in different cities but I could not help thinking back to my stay two weeks earlier at the W Midtown Atlanta where I had a much larger nicer room for half the price of the Westin Harborview. I was at this hotel for business but given the price/location would probably not choose to stay there if I were traveling for pleasure.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Westin Boston Waterfront is located 3 miles from the airport and is easily accessible by taxi, water taxi or public transportation by way of the Silver Line and the South Station T stop which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Our complimentary shuttle service to the financial district and Faneuil Hall Marketplace runs between 5:00-8:00 PM during the week and 4:00-8:00 PM on the weekends.
Farmington, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed June 21, 2009

The Westin Boston Waterfont is my "go to" place when I take my clients to the Boston Design Center, but this time my wife and I went to celebrate my birthday. And celebrate we did -- a very special thank you to Donna Frechette and the wonderful folks at the Westin for an unexpected upgrade to a Harbor View Suite (awesome room with living room/dining room and bedroom!) and a beautiful cake and candles waiting when we arrived!!
It made for a very happy and memorable weekend at the hotel that was already my favorite Boston property!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
ExecutiveAssistant32, Donna M. Frechette, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Thank you for the kind words you had for our hotel. Although you may have missed it, we do in fact have a jacuzzi in our pool area and I hope you will enjoy it on your next visit to Boston. We are also looking into expanding the hours of our complimentary shuttle based on the positive feedback we have received.
LA,CA
Reviewed June 17, 2009

This hotel is only two years old.I stayed here for three nights last September (Irish bar not open then) and two nights this June. Location is not on the water as the name implies, you can lokk at the water some blocks away. I prefer Starwood Hotels and am a Gold member of SPG. There was no SPG Gold/Platnuim lobby desk had to wait with all other guests. Every eemployee of the hotel was profisional and friendly and asked how they could help. Rooms are spacious and beds are great. I did not have a laptop and the expensive business center did not offer SPG members use of a computer with out charging $6 per 15 minutes. Pool is excellent and is not small, needs a jacuzzi. Gym is Westin par good machines. Last year when I paid a rate for the room I was upraded to a harbour facing room on the 14th floor. This visit I was given a room facing the convention center on the 8th floor. I was using Starwood points and cash for the room Breakfast maybe that is why I did not get a higher floor. Thebuffet was expensive at $23.00 and they closed it a half hour early to set up lunch. As all Starwood hotels the bill was under the door on the last night and express checkout saved time. We used the shuttle (great driver)to go to Fanuiel Hall, it should run more hours of the day not just 5-7:30 PM. I would stay here again. Room service great food and service but it was expensive when %20 service charge plus $3.50 delivery fee (paper said does not go to server) and tax.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Ireland
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Overall this hotel was lovely, big spacious rooms, quite modern. nice gym and bar. Staff are very friendly and helpful!

However, eating at the hotel was quite expensive, particularly room service! Also, the hotel was very quiet (as we were there in february) so the hotel closed the starbucks and turned off the escalators. We didnt mind the escalators too much but the starbucks was a big inconvenience as the hotel is located away from everything else so theres no where else to go for a morning coffee or breakfast!
Also, the fire alarm went off one night and we had to evacuate. Afterwards (even the next day) none of the staff could tell us what had happened or if there was even a real fire or if it was just a drill.
Overall i did like the hotel and im sure its a lovely place to stay in the summer!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Great hotel if you are going to the convention center or arriving by Train at South Street Station. Also about 1 mile walk to financial district which I would not recommend in bad weather. Over-all this hotel is clean, new, and well run. Breakfast is very over-priced so try to get a room rate which includes breakfast. I also got a better rate booking directly with starwood versus the rate the hotel quoted me. This place gets noisy when a large convention is in town as the convention center is literally across the street.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Scottsdale
Reviewed June 10, 2009

First off I was traveling for business and was lucky to have my mother and 4 year old daugher join me. I was away for almost a week, so was glad to have them along.

Check in was a breeze even though the lobby was buzzing with conventioners. The woman that checked us in wheeled out a Radio Flyer filled with toys and let my daughter pick what she wanted! Very nice touch indeed. Very friendly and helpful.
Despite what others have said about the concierge service here we never encountered anything but helpful staff, very friendly and willing to give directions, whatever. When we called down for the "trolley tour" they informed us that there was a magician on Saturday morning for the kids, very nice touch. They always said hello to us when we passed by.
My daughter used the pool as well and had a blast. Although we didn't use it, the gym looked awesome. The restaurant food was pretty good, good wine by the glass selection.
The rooms were comfortable, clean, roomy. Nothing to complain about there. We had a view of the water and in the distance Logan airport.
I loved the staff at this hotel, I have nothing but praise for them. Really friendly and courteous!
The reason we picked this hotel was b/c I could walk to the business that I was at all week, and also it was the luck of the draw on priceline @ $150 a night. Now if you know Boston, that's pretty good.
Anyway, you really do have to cab it to most anywhere from this hotel. I personally didn't have the leasure to walk a couple of miles in the evening for dinner. So, we ended up taking cabs to the North End on most evenings. We only had the opportunity to take their shuttle once. Keep in mind their shuttle runs from 5pm to 7:30pm, not during the day at all. With that said, save money by staying here, but be aware that you'll have to cab it, or bus it on the silver line to catch the T. No one mentions that the silver line is a bus.

Good time and good stay at this hotel, even though it's a bit out of the way of downtown.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
I would like to thank you for the kind words you had for our staff, particulary, our Concierge Team.

We are also happy that your daughter enjoyed the magician in the lobby on Saturday morning. He was part of our Kids Unwind Program that just rolled out and we predict it will be a huge success in the future.

I would also like to point out that although the Silver Line is a bus, the South Station T stop is just a 10 minute walk from the hotel and will take you to just about anywhere in the city you'd like to go. Thank you for choosing The Westin Boston Waterfront.