“Decent Conference/Business Hotel, a Bit Isolated”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel was clean, the service was excellent (room service ontime, helpful concierge, etc.), and the conference facilities were modern, with good lighting, a decent sound system and adequate projection systems. The hotel is a bit isolated and most people took a taxi to a restaurant instead of walking -- but that's not unusual in a larger city. The restaurants in the hotel were fair to good, not exceptional -- but they did have healthy, fresh options and they did the basics (steak, pasta, chicken) well. The bath was big, modern, and well-lighted and the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room that does not have a connecting door to another room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Picked this hotel because it was right next to the convention center and it was. Connected by a mezzanine bridge which avoids the cold. This hotel did not disappoint. The bed was fantastic. A fridge with room for our food. Quiet and restful which sounds easy but sometimes hard to find. Nothing fancy here but a good night sleep and a good fitness center with yoga mats and exercise balls. The pool was okay, nothing fancy. Restaurant buffet pretty typical and also typically expensive. To avoid expensive stay away from the fed ex store for shipping. Short walk to public transit which gets you everywhere in Boston. Safe to walk to town at night. Avoid the bellman choice of a SUV to the airport. Twice as expensive as a cab and won't take credit cards.

Room Tip: We asked for an upper floor for a better view. Also think it was quieter. Stayed in room 1239. Wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your feedback is appreciated and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights for a conference.

PROS: Right next to the convention center. Room is nicely laid out, with a decent sized bathroom, adequate lighting, and accurate heating/AC system. The fixtures and furnishings are not high-end, but the bed was comfortable and the room was deathly silent--amazing since the hotel was sold out. Equally impressive were the elevators. They set a new standard for speed, particularly with the number of people using them.

CONS: I arrived at 5:45pm and was told my room was not ready. No explanation, although the staff was polite. She took my cell # and asked that I be patient. 45 minutes later I returned and this time I asked to speak with the manager who told me that a flight crew had been delayed and thus my room was still occupied. I told him that was not OK, and he offered to comp my dinner. The waitress was stellar, and while the food was good, the meal was quite small for the price. The room was finally ready at 7:45pm. In hindsight, it would have been better for the first employee to have explained the problem, and the dinner comp should have been an automatic gesture of good will.

Spoke with two nurses the next day who said the hotel was over-booked, requiring them to stay elsewhere. Interestingly, another reviewer remarked that HIS room was not ready when he'd arrived. Makes me wonder if this is a common problem here.

If you do not have business at the Convention Center, this property may be a bit out of the way, as it is not near some of the other Boston neighborhoods so a taxi will be in order.

While my room was clean, the carpeting on the 4th floor hallway had several large, ugly stains. That might be acceptable at a budget hotel chain, but would not expect that at in a Westin in this price range. Did no one notice this?

SUMMARY: Had the check-in gone as it should have, the hotel would get 4 stars. Since there is no way to assign 3 1/2, I'm rating it a 3.

1  Thank SethE56

Thank you for posting your review. I'm terribly sorry that you room was not ready at check in. We did have some challenges at that time with our occupancy levels but our staff did everything possible to get guests checked into their rooms in a timely manner. I hope you will consider staying with us in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable experience for your next visit.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I first was put in a handicapped room with a connecting door and I could hear everything in the adjoining room. I asked for a room change after one night and was immediately moved.

New room was bright with great view of the harbor. Plenty of plugs for charging.

Room was big clean, lots of lights, very modern.
The bath had this awesome back lit mirror that was great for putting on make-up. I want one for my home bathroom!!
Gym was great, pool very nice, and there is a great harbor walk if weather allows.
There is no spa and to get any spa treatments is a cab ride or mile walk. For a hotel this nice, it was surprising.

The food service in lobby was very very fast and O'Connors had excellent seafood.

Wakeup calls were right on time. Newspapers available in lobby.

There was a fridge, but it was not on?

If I had business at Convention Center I would definitely stay here again.

Close to airport.

Room Tip: Ask for room without adjoining door and view of harbor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our property. Please contact me at
donna.frechette@westin.com and I will be happy to share the information on how you can own our backlit mirror for your home. Thank you again for the feedback and please consider staying with us on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently attended a conference in Boston,,held in the Westin. The hotel is very close to the waterfront but more walking distance from some of the touristy/historic areas of downtown that I like to see. Not so big a deal as I have seen some of these areas before. The lobby is impressive and the staff were professional and helpful on check in. I had to change my check out date and that was addressed that evening by those same helpful people. The room was pleasant, the bed very comfortable and I do not say that lightly. Almost as good as home. Room was clean, linens were comfy. TV was small, charges for ppv movies were prohibitive in my opinion. I will buy the movie before paying to see it one time and spend less. I agree that for what one pays at this hotel, the internet should be included in the cost of the room. And my cost for the room was more than the cost that one reviewer quoted and my rate was for attendance at a conference held in that very hotel. I did use the pool once and only once. The water was so cold that it was not enjoyable. I had planned to use the pool for exercise and had not brought any other exercise clothing. So that was a disappointment. All in all a nice comfortable place to stay but a bit steep in the cost. I would probably not stay again for that reason unless I felt compelled to attend another conference there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool for people to voice their opinions and we appreciate your feedback. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a nice hotel. It is very accessible to the airport. The employees are nice and helpful from the front desk to the maids. Very comfortable. I will commend Hakeem and Aziz - they were very helpful. Thanks for a good stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

That you for posting your review and for recognizing Harkeem and Aziz. They have both been with us for some time now and we are grateful to have them on our team. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Getting here from the hotel is really easy. Just walk out and get on the Silver line. It is free! Then walk across the bridge (pedestrian friendly) and you are there. The lobby is beautiful open and airy, with a back stone wall. The room was just a room. Nothing more nothing less. There is not great light. If you plan on working go elsewhere. The WiFi is expensive in the room. However it is free in the lobby. We had 2 beds in my room. Mine was not comfortable, my sister's bed was. Weird. I wanted to switch beds. The shower has one of those hand held sprayers in addition to the rain type shower head. Be careful. when you turn the shower on the house keeper has the handheld part facing out and the entire bathroom will get a rinse if you don't turn it first.
I was less than pleased with a few of the staff. I was there for a very large conference. These staff members complained that there were too many people. One night they rented out both of the restaurants leaving only the 2 bars to eat. When eating in the bar it was HORRIBLE!. They were slow ( maybe to be expected). We were served food without utensils 2x. We could not get a bill to pay ( so they could turn the table over and feed more people and make more money). When I found a manager, she too complained about the crowd. Really!? This hotel is attached to the convention center, There are going to be large crowds. You rented out both of your large venues. If you are not able to handle the business, get into another one. If your food manager did not warn you that the 2 large venues in the hotel were rented out, you have an internal problem. On another day for the 1st session of the morning, there was no notepaper in the meeting rooms. When this was mentioned to another manager, he also complained that too much paper was being used. It was the first meeting of the day and they were unable to get the room ready with 14 hours of down time between the last session and this one. On top of that the staff then complained to a patron. That should never happen! On the last morning there we had breakfast in Saucity (The restaurant there). We were generously offered a sample of the smoothy. I politely refused as I am very allergic to bananas and was sure there would be banana in it. The server adamantly stated there was no banana in it. As it looked really good, I almost tried it anyway. Luckily another server overheard and stopped me. Banana is one of the main ingredients. If you are not sure, check for the patron. I was VERY concerned that someone could die because of this server's lack of knowledge and unwillingness to check. However, the helpful server was above and beyond. We were splitting our meal, he pre -spit the dishes onto 2 plates in advance for us.
The work out area was one of the better ones and the pool was quite acceptable. The Jacuzzi definitely got used while I was there. As there is no lifeguard, I am not sure why they shut down the pool and work out areas. They are not staffed anyway.
After saying all that was wrong, I would still probably stay here again if going to a convention at the BCEC ( Boston Convention and Exposition Center). It is just too convenient to not have to go outside. Some of the staff were stellar ( the house keepers, the evening desk people,concierage...)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. We certainly did have some challenges during that time and our hardworking staff did their very best to ensure we were meeting the expectations of all of our guests. I have also passed on your comments regarding meal times to our Director of Food and Beverage to be shared with the entire Culinary Team so that improvements can be made where necessary. Thank you again for providing your feedback.