“Fair Hotel”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #38 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights August 18th and the 19th with my children aged 12 and 16. The hotel is a newer hotel outside of Boston. Service was okay, more of a business hotel. Bar staff at the Birch Bar were rather cold and uncaring. The front desk staff were friendly and accomadating. The restaurants food was less than desirable. Stayed on the 11th floor facing the convention centre. My room had no chair to sit on and I asked guest services and 5 minutes later they answered back that the chairs have been sent out for re-upholpostering. for the price you can find a far better hotel closer to Boston.

Room Tip: Suggest staying some where else closer to Boston
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was very disappointed to read your comments about the cold and uncaring staff at Birch Bar since we pride ourselves on providing top notch customer service all times. I'm truly sorry that did not happen in this instance and I will share your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage to be addressed with the Birch Bar staff members. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable experience for your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Westin Boston Waterfront is a very new hotel, located right next door to the newly built Boston Convention Center in South Boston. It is modern and quite attractive with a large lobby with a lot of places to sit and relax in.
It is a short walk away to the Harbor and the Institute of Contemporary Art but the immediate area outside the hotel doesn't have too much around. However, if you are attending a conference next door at the new center, you do not have to walk outside to go there as there is an enclosed walkway between the two. Plus the hotel offers a great deal, for $5 a day, you can rent workout gear and it is one less item to pack!
The hotel room room was very spacious as was the bathroom but when people are talking in the hallways, their conversations are heard in the rooms. Our bed and linens were excellent and we really found them to be comfortable and of a high quality.
We didn't eat at any of the restaurants except for take-out at Starbucks. The concierge and other staff in the Lobby were all very helpful and positive.
The room came with a refrigerator/freezer however only the refrigerator was working.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators and overlooking the harbor may be nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your review. It was a pleasure reading your comments and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

this hotel was everything I expected from a hotel of its caliber, clean, modern, new, large, very large.... in fact, if you expect personal service, better look somewhere else, because this is not the place for you. The hotel is beaming with life at all times of day and it is located in a very nice area of Boston right across from some nice restaurants on the waterfront, about a 5 minute walk. Downtown Boston is also walking distance, perhaps 15 minutes, and we were travelling with a toddler... so probably even less otherwise. My only complaint is the temperature of the pool water which was really really cold and unpleasant because of that reason... also, the parking cost of 35 dollars per night is a bit much, but I guess to be expected of downtown hotels...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to read that the pool temperature was a little cool for you but I hope you enjoyed your stay otherwise. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was at this very comfortable and professional establishment for a large company meeting. I arrived early and had difficulty finding my meeting registration location.

I approached the Westin Hotel registrtation desk and spoke to Caitlyn Weller about my situation. I explained to her how my attempt to find the meeting registration desk was futile. Her only responsibility was to point me in the right direction. Instead, Caitlyn noticed my frustruation and went out of her way to guide me personally to the far end of her post in order to help me resolve the situation. Caitlyn showed genuine interest in me as more than just a source of revenue. She connected with me on a personal level which will be the reason I will choose this hotel in the future.

Needless to say, Caitlyn Weller helped me solve the problem-the registration desk was not yet open.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Office at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recognizing Caitlyn Weller at the Front Desk. Caitlyn is the true definition of hospitality here at The Westin Boston Waterfront and we are proud to have her as a member of our team. We hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to this great city!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have to give it to the Westin. They did it all correctly here.

The driveway is enormous and has plenty of space for taxis in queue as well as those coming in to drop passengers. The lobby is spacious enough to allow for flow. Even though it's a convention hotel, it manages to maintain some sense of decorum fitting with the brand.

If you're assigned to a low-floor room, do yourself a favor and ask for a higher floor. I was on the 7th floor originally and asked for a higher floor. Once on the 12th floor, the same view became simply stunning. Great sunset, and AMAZING night view of the downtown skyline.

The rainshower is a nice touch - the property is well maintained. I was a little curious why the bedside plugs were hard to get to in such a modern build. My room was near the elevator and I didn't hear a lot of traffic in the hall.

This will be my new "go-to" hotel when in Boston.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we get the opportunity to host you in the future. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Don't miss staying at this Westin property. From the super customer service from every hotel employee encountered (bellman, front desk, housekeeping, room service, security) to the amazing rooms and facilities, this hotel has it all.

Great wifi/tether in the rooms ($14 - 18/day). For $5 you can rent workout gear, when you're done, you can grab a Starbucks in the lobby. If you want Dunkin' or great food - you have top notch restaurants on Northern Ave, a 7 minute walk from the hotel. This hotel is a $20 cab ride to/from the airport, aquarium, and the financial district, but longer to Back Bay/Copley, where their sister property is located.

Don't be fooled by its location, (it's attached to the convention center), this property has made up for it with all their other amenities and staff. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: The hallways are long, so if you're not one for walking, ask for one close to the elevators.
1  Thank GRLTRAV

Thank you for posting such a fabulous review and for recognizing our hardworking staff. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Second Westin this week after the fabulous Chicago River North - no comparison.

Location not a plus here unless you are going to something at the Convention Center - really out of the way and a bit of a walk to anything, including the T. Rooms nicely sized and clean but just feels a bit...lived in and generic. Nearly $20 a day for useful Wifi is just a ripoff in this day and age.

Staff not as friendly and outgoing as Chicago but nice to have a Starbucks available for an early morning coffee run, as in-room dining not cheap and nothing really around in the neighborhood.

Gym ok and a great feature to have gym clothes and shoes for $5 rental.

All the things oyu expect from a Westin including the great Heavenly bed...but just an ok experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool for people to voice their opinions and we appreciate the feedback.