“CONVENTION OK,NOT VACATION”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, NC
“CONVENTION OK,NOT VACATION”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

I just finished a 4 day stay for a business conference in Boston, where I traveled alone.
Good: Loved,loved,loved the mirrors in the bathroom. The light goes completely around the mirror, so you don't have those hideous overhead shadows making you look like a ghoul! Ditto for the makeup mirror...such clarity! Loved the smell upon arrival, very clean and relaxing. In-room Starbucks coffee a plus, as was the nice comfy bathrobe (once I got it, see below). The lobby is spacious and calming as well, especially at night. I used the fitness center daily...loved the individual TV screens on the equipment!

Bad: Rude employees at Starbucks and the hotel giftshop! They did not greet me, nor was there a 'thank you!." In fact, the clerk never said a word during an entire transaction in the gift shop!! There is only one restaurant, which is OK, but overpriced. There are NO restaurants close by, so I hope your convention includes meals! Our conference did include meals, which were exceptionally good. The pool is to small for anything other than splashing around. My television recieved few channels, more news and sports than anything else. What I really wanted was nice background music, and all I had to choose from was a small bedside radio which was mostly static. I had to call for my 'complementary robe" that I found I was supposed to have from the note on the (empty) hangar on the back of my bath door. But the worst part about the stay was THE NOISE from the hallway!!! Unless you take great care in closing the door manually, they SLAM! And ANYONE talking in a normal voice in the hall is completely heard inside the room. No spa service, but the concierge told me I could have an In-room massage for $135.

Bottom line: if your conference is here, OK, but know you'll have to take a taxi for anything not provided by your conference. Also, bring earplugs or white noise to block the INSIDE NOISE.

• Liked — The mirrors in the rooms!
  • Disliked — Corridor noise
1 Thank pitbullrn1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

I stayed at the Westin since I was attending a conference. Admittedly the hotel is great if you are attending a conference but that is about the only benefit of the hotel. There are very few choices in terms of restuarants and bars in the area. The few places that are close by Morton's Steakhouse and Legal Seafood Test Kitchen were so packed I couldn't get in. I basically had to get a cab every night to go to dinner which isn't cheap.

Also the rooms were generally nice but the rooms are not quiet at all. I could hear people in the room next to me and I woke up several times because I could hear people talking in the hallways. I am not sure if the hotel forgot to insulate the walls but it is EXTREMELY loud. A real disappointment.

3 Thank mtrunner
Old Bridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

Pros:
- Super convenient for anyone attending a show at the BCEC
- Room was clean and modern with a decent view
- Awesome bed, flat screen TV and dual shower head
- Good food and nice waiters at the Sauciety Restaurant
- Nice to have a Starbucks and Gift Shop in hotel
- Big lobby with tons of seating

Cons:
- No restaurants or shops within sight distance
- Technically not a "Waterfront" location
- Long wait at check-in; only one counter available
- Concierge oftentimes unavailable during peak hours
- Housekeeping entered room with "do not disturb" sign
- Internet pricey at $12.95/day; did not work when needed

Overall, it ws a nice stay with a few minor inconveniences. If I were to attend another conference at the BCEC, I would book this hotel again. If I was visiting Boston for a vacation, I would choose a hotel closer to the "action".

• Liked — Location to Boston Convention and Exhibition Center
  • Disliked — Concierge
1 Thank October08Bride
Zürich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Stayed here during a conference at the Convention Centre next door. It is perfect for this as it is connected by a skybridge to the Westin. The rooms were very spacious - definitely above average for a standard room. It has the additional advantage of being close to the airport.

I stayed 6 nights here and had no real problems. I ate in the restaurant (Saucity) once for both breakfast and dinner and found it quite good.

The Westin Waterfront is not cheap but then Boston hotels are not cheap. The area is uninspiring - I would only stay here on business.

• Liked — The spacious room
  • Disliked — The location
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

The hotel looks very nice and very stylish. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, nice linens, flat screen TV etc. Overall, however, I would agree with other reviewers comments that the service is lacking and not as we expected for any Westin. Check-in was okay. We had the same problems as one reviewer regarding garage access and our key had to be reprogrammed. Hotel brochure lists child friendly activities and welcome packs but none available when we asked. Hotel brochure also advertises "service express" services including diapers and wipes if you run out - we did, and when we called service express they said none were currently available, of any size (so we drove into the city to pick some up). Surprised to hear about the complimentary shuttle into the city as this was certainly not mentioned to us, we were directed to use a taxi to get to Faneuil Hall. Tried out the restaurant for (an after dinner) dessert and it was terrible - staff would not bring some hot water for baby bottle to be heated but rather insisted that they take the bottle away. Wait staff could not answer questions on the food. In addition, food not great. We ordered decaf coffees and got caffeinated, even though we asked several times to make sure that they were decaf. The (caffeinated) latte that was delivered, arrived as a shot of espresso with a pot of cold milk! Tea was delivered in a teapot that could not be opened to add the teabag - it felt as if we were there all night sorting out simple things, when we just wanted a quick convenient dessert while the kids were being calm before bed. Service express manager provided a very sympathetic ear when we complained about service.
If you want to stay in this location, go to the Seaport Hotel - that is a fantastic hotel with great service and is excellent for families with kids. Despite the great rate that we got, would prefer not to stay here again.

=

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Travel_two_plus_two
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed one night at the Westin in Boston. Firstly the location isn't great, but walkable to downtown. The vibe in the hotel is quite pretentious. The rooms were clean-ish... there were some stains on the seats and bottom of the bed. The main problem we had was the price. We booked through hotwire so saved $60 before taxes... we paid $200. The wireless internet isn't free ($14 for 24 hour period) The bottled water they leave in your room also isn't free... $5 per bottle if you use it. We felt we paid through the nose for nothing, but to top it off we were woken at 8 a.m. and asked what time we would be checking out at! Check-out time is 12pm. Will never stay here again!!

• Disliked — The price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dunroamin08
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

A nice hotel with decent facilities, clean room and a very relaxing ambiance. Admittedly, the location isnt excellent but if you are prepared to walk, the the aquarium is only 20/ 25 mins (follow the waterfront) away and is a safe walk. I loved the bed here - very relaxing and comfortable after trekking around Boston. Nothing to complain about.

Stayed June 2008