“Mediocre five-star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Mediocre five-star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a company event. While this hotel boasts a five-star rating and an impressive lobby, its all-around quality is actually quite a bit lower than what such a high-end image suggests. To start, the attention to details is generally poor. One of the two telephones in my room didn't work. They offer you this "green choice" (i.e. no maid service), but when you call to have any service like picking up the trash, they don't always come on the first call. The "Express Service" line was not always picked up. The soap dispensers in the lobby bathrooms were often empty. The worst part for my experience was the banquet service. The rolls we had for lunch today were stale. The dessert that we had for our afternoon meetings were barely edible. My colleagues and I were all quite disappointed. The staff is friendly enough, and the room is nice. But overall, for such a high end hotel, I expected more.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I will share your comments concerning Banquet Service with the appropriate Department Head to be addressed with the entire team. I'm also sorry that our Make a Green Choice program was not explained to you properly. Your feedback is appreciated and I hope you will give us the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable experience in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Took the family to Boston and got a good rate at the Westin Waterfront. We thought we would be spending 3 days in the Children’s Museum, the science museum and the aquarium but it was hard to drag the kids out of the pool and restaurant. The staff at the Westin could not be more accommodating. I think it was Jonaha who got all our stuff up to the room was very professional with our ton of stuff. Robert, Marian and Eno took great care of us in the restaurant. We we’re a bit of a challenging group but they teamed up and had it all covered.

Rooms were spotless, and extra towels came in a flash. Everyone we encountered was terrific and helpful. It was obvious they were there to make our stay great.

Thank you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike F
Thank you for the wonderful comments you had for our hotel and for recoginizing our hardworking associates. We take great pride in providing top notch customer service and your comments reveal what a great team we have here at The Westin Boston Waterfront. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I couldn't fault this hotel. It's up to the standards you'd expect from a Westin Hotel. Very clean and comfortable. With Large rooms and a really comfortable bed, plenty of choice on the TV if that's what you want. There was also a great offer of $5 for the rental of full gym gear including runners.

The only faults I would give is that it's not very close to the center, about 1.5 miles, which is walk-able on a nice day. The public transport near is a bus which brings you to south street, but by the time you go to bus stop and wait, you'd have walked in.

If you are in the conference center, then this hotel is perfect, Food in the Irish bar was nice and priced OK, chicken starters are worth a try and plenty to share. I didn't have breakfast, but at $24 I decide to go elsewhere.

Overall I would recommend.

Room Tip: Some rooms over look the airport and if you are a light sleeper, maybe ask for a room at the other s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and really liked the experience with a minor hiccup. Overall, the property is very nice and recommend for people who are primarily there for business/conference.

PROS:
- Close to downtown --> can take a 10 minute cab ride to Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market or take the Old Town Trolley Tour (which has a stop right at the Westin!)
- Beds are super comfortable due to the Westin Heavenly beds
- Close to the airport --> a quick 10 minute cab ride which came in handy since I needed to jet to the airport (no pun intended :) ).
- Facilities well maintained by exceptional staff --> I used the gym and pool each day and the equipment was both state of the art and well maintained by the staff.

CONS:
- EXCRUCIATINGLY slow internet: I had my wi-fi kick out numerous times during my stay in spite of the "Gold internet" package I purchased. Called Westin tech support and they were unable to fix the issue. I ended up utilizing the free Lobby wi-fi more often than the internet in my room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post your reivew. I will share your comments concerning the slow internet service with our IT Director for future consideration and improvement. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is connecting to Boston Convention Center and it was so convenience to catch the Silver line bus to airport , just across the bridge walkway. The hotel staffs was so friendly .
Thank you for all the cleaning staffs that greeted me every morning and ask if I need anything extra in the room. It's a short walk to downtown and harbor for many good restaurant.
The bedding sheets was very comfortable and soft. I would stay here again for next meeting.

Room Tip: Take the Silver line bus from airport for free to this hotel
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for the fabulous comments you posted and for recognizing our staff. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to hosting you in the future.
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I accompanied my husband to a convention recently. He loved the location as h hotel was connected by walkway to he convention center. I found that it was at least a $12 cab ride to go anywhere. The hotel, even though it is huge, felt like a small boutique hotel because the service was great. The doormen, bellhops, maids and front desk all were friendly, helpful and made us feel special. The bed was so comfortable and the bathroom spacious.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for posting such a positive review. We appreciate your feedback and recognition of our staff. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is on the outskirts of Boston. A cheap taxi ride will take you into the City or a fifteen - twenty minute walk. The hotel has all the amenities you can ask for and the beds are very, very comfortable. There are a few restaurants in the hotel itself and the seaport restaurants are a five minute walk. I don't like the fact that they charge extra for the internet and it's not cheap either, but I guess they have to make a few bucks when they can. The room price is right too, i would stay here again.

1 Thank wocaplel
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are fortunate to be located in the up and coming Seaport District and there are new and exciting restaurants opening regularly. We look forward to your next visit with us.