“Left a lot to be desired”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #39 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We arrived for 4 days over Christmas, and inasmuch as there are no conventions/conferences/whatever going on next door, this was a very quiet place. But there were other ramifications. The restaurants and bars had gone away for the week. Our only breakfast choice was the originally planned as elegant 'Sauciety' on the reception level, which opened at 6:30 a.m. and which offered oatmeal at $10 per serving. Our room was unremarkable, the wifi connection to the computer was broken, but fortunately we had our own in our bag. The toiletries were fine.
But there is a gimmick they advertise largely in posters throughout the lobby... save the world by opting not to use all the water/electricity/detergent/what have you and hang out the 'green world' tag on your door and thus not have your room serviced that day, for a $5 credit at 'participating food and beverages in the hotel.' Sure enough, we hung out the tag before 2 a.m. and at 4 ish were awakened by the sound of stuff sliding under our room door. It turned out to be our hang-tag and the $5 credit card. At reception that morning, I inquired if we could perhaps be given two coffee tubs as we weren't having the room serviced. NO, that is part of servicing the room. Note we'd only gotten 1 decaf coffee tub anyway, although 2 regular tubs. Okay. Finding after the fact that there were precious few options to use our card, we nevertheless opted on our 3rd night to again try to save the world. No under the door return of hangtag or card, so that morning inquired and were rather abruptly given our second card. And of course no more decaf coffee tubs. Having read in the guest services booklet provided in our room to expect our bill under the door on our final morning, we were a little surprised that nothing appeared. Checkout was a charming experience. 'How was your stay?' 'Well, this discount thing for saving the world was a little disappointing. We tried to use the cards in the Irish pub accessible from your lobby (because the City Bar was closed for the week) and they were declined.' 'The Sauciety accepts the card' 'But it won't open for another half hour.' 'You could have used them for room service' 'The card doesn't say that' 'Well, I know that', yeah, great. I explained we'd expected an under the door bill to examine. 'We don't do that anymore.' 'But your guest services book says you do.' 'Well, it's outdated.' I guess that was something else he knew. He explained we could apply those dollars to our Starwood account and I noted that we were not Starwood members. 'But you're on the Starwood Floor!' 'Is that my fault???' 'Would you like to sign up for Starwood?' 'Do I sound like I want to?' To his credit he asked 'How can we make this better for you?' Citing the life-size posters promoting the 'save the world' deal, I asked why we simply couldn't be credited $5 each day we declined all the terribly costly room servicing, but I don' t think he was really listening by then.

Room Tip: Well, if you'd like to look out onto the building with flats at 437 D Street, Room 1513 is just...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank narrowboatersia
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review. I was very disappointed to read your comments and I hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please contact me directly at donna.frechette@westin.com so that I can better understand why we did not meet your expectations. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have stayed in December at the Westin Waterfront. Very nice and helpfull staff.
The (bath) rooms are spacious and very clean. If the cleaning lady will be able to get hold on you she will ask you if you need anything extra. That was so nice. And the toiletries are very nice and good quality too!
And then the beds, the heavenly beds...I loved it! It was so nice to sleep in that bed that I am ready to buy it for my own house as well.

Thank you Westin Waterfront for the nice stay. Your staff does an excellent job!

1  Thank SelviS84

Thank you for the kind comments you had for our property. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just happened to stay here with a friend while doing Boston for a couple days. It was better than I expected from a place I had not looked up. There was a conference going on at the time so it was a little loud in places but the facilities and location made up for it. The rooms were nice and big and we could spread out. Nice staff also.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've been to two conferences here and it's a great facility for them.
First of all, it's very close to Boston's Logan Airport - about a $20 cab ride.
Rooms are spacious and the Westin has those Heavenly Beds which make for a wonderful night's sleep.
The gym has lots of cardio equipment and an excellent section for free weights and weight machines. They offer cold washcloths once you finish your workout.
Had room service on my first night and the sandwich and fries were yummy. The rest of the conference the food was provided for us and I have no complaints at all. Even the boxed lunch on the last day was delicious. I asked for some potato chips and one of the waiters ran to another kitchen in the hotel just to get me some - great service!!

There's a full service Starbucks in the lobby which is very convenient. There's also a small gift shop.

There is a huge conference center attached. We had some meetings there and some in the main building. All facilities were clean and well suited for our needs.

Our internet access was included in the package. Some complained of the speed but I had no issues at all.

Shopping and other entertainment is a short cab ride away.

1  Thank carolesau
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just had our annual sales kick-off meeting with +300 colleagues at the Westin Boston Waterfront. Very good facilities for such business event... Rooms are spacious, friendly staff and well located not far from Logan airport...

1  Thank Jean_Richert
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very nice view (from 15'th floor), nice location, and comfortable room and beds. However, as always seems to be the case with "upscale" hotels, some basic useful amenities are missing or expensive. There was no fridge (except the minibar), no breakfast, and you have to pay $15 for internet access. I guess they figure if you can pay for a room, why not pay a bit more... Lucky for me, my company paid the bill.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ryan K
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

If you are attending a convention in Boston over at the seaport great hotel., If you are visiting Boston for the sights and historic landmarks, you'll find this hotel out of the way. The hotel is clean and delivers classic Westin amenities, minus an executive lounge.

• Stayed: December 2012