“Best Value In Boston”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #39 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We wanted to be a "tourist" for a long weekend in Boston and this location was perfect for us. The hotel was GREAT to say the least , super friendly door man, and front desk Great too. Very clean , beautiful hotel. The price for this time of year was incrediable. Would stay again and highly suggest for others to check it out.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed March 10, 2008

My husband and I are regular Westin customers, and usually experience great service. Unfortunately, the service at this hotel is not up to the standards of other properties. My 65-year old mom was staying in the hotel while visiting me recently, and slipped in the shower. Like many newer hotels, they have forgone the rubber mat in the tub for aesthetic reasons. She hit her head on the tile wall, and a had a huge cut that ended up requiring 18 stitches. At first, she called down to the front desk, but nobody picked up, even after she let it ring for a long time. She then called me, so that I could take her to the emergency room. At the same time, my husband called the Westin from our home to request that security go to the room and wait with her until I got there. It took me 15 minutes to get dressed and drive to the hotel to pick her up, and I got to her room before the security guard. Thank god her injury was not life-threatening. In addition, it took the hotel 2 full days to contact my mom to see how she was doing after her fall, even after we spoke to one of the managers. Obviously, this was a unique situation, but if the level of service was this bad in an emergency, can you imagine what it will be like for something without the urgency, like a request for new towels?

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank SullyBoston_MA
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Stayed at the Westin for a convention. It was a beautiful hotel. They gave me a room on one of the top floors, overlooking the convention center, downtown Boston and the water -- it was a floor to ceiling window! Gorgeous view!

The room itself was very spacious and comfortable. Exceedingly clean and well-kept hotel! The elevators were very fast too (one of my pet peeves is slow elevators). High speed wireless internet in the rooms worked great, although there was a daily fee of about $10.

Although a bit on the pricey side, the hotel's restaurant was very good, too.

Being new to Boston, I found the concierge helpful in directing me and my friends to restaurants and attractions. I also found it very easy to access transportation via taxis right outside the hotel, and the bus station just a block away.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank BargainQuest
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Simply a horrible experience from the day I arrived to the day I departed. Uncaring staff who couldn’t care less; housekeeping was bad (dirty room and hallways, lacked amenities), room service was less to be desired, the hotel was not centrally located - I could go on and on. I would NOT rate this as four star property.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank sal98
Reviewed February 19, 2008

SCAM ALERT! Very disappointed. Everything is correct. Nothing special on any level. Far away from everything but convention center. Here's the SCAM. We used the mini bar for 2 nips and one soda totalling 18ish dollars. This Westin charged my card $130. I called to question and they suggested this entire fee was mini bar service. I explained we stayed for less than 14 hours. There is only $70 total in mini bar if we eat and drink everything. They then appologized and said maybe the person double billed for product and they'd knock off half the price. Then I asked if the Westin actually thought I chose to eat and drink the entire mini bar once? Realizing this was now a SCAM. I started asking for names and people accountable to file a dispute for theft. An accounts Manager wouldn't divulge her name but out of the blue stated that I used 2 nips and one soda and refunded the rest. This was Ironic since I never stated what we used from MINI-BAR? I then waited 6 days for my refund? Had to call again and then surprise my refund finally showed up. Run Run from this SCAM! We stay at hundreds of places and write many reviews this is the worst rating we've ever had to give!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank RobinBoston
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I will start off with the positive. The beds are very comfortable and the hotel is in great shape. That's it - short and sweet.

Now on to the what seemed to be an endless amount of problems with my recent stay. One, or possibly even two, of these by themselves could lead one to believe it was an isolated bad experience. However, if you read on you will see that lack of customer service, cleanliness and satisfaction is an issue of severity with this property.

I arrived in Boston on a red-eye and contacted the hotel at noon to see if I could get an early check in and if my room was available. I was informed it was ready so I took a diverted from a friends house to the hotel. Upon arrival, I was told the room was not ready and it would be 1-2 hours. They seemed unconcerned that I was told otherwise on the phone. When I asked for a member of management, they informed me there was nothing that could be done. They did offer their Fitness Facility as an option for me to shower since I had just got in from a red-eye. I politely turned down the use of a public shower. Not the answer you'd expect from a Westin.

The room was moderately clean. There was hair in the bathtub and the robe hanger was there with a Westin Note to "enjoy" the robe, but no robe on the hanger. Lastly, there was no cups in the room. I phoned down and asked for a wine menu and was told one would be sent up. 2 hours later and 3 phone calls reminding them, I received it. One moring they houskeeping staff arrived at 8:30am to service the room. I asked if they could come back. At 2:00pm I had to ask the front desk to have the room cleaned, because they had forgot to come back.

There is nothing within walking distance of this hotel (bar, food, full service gym - nothing). You have to take a taxi to go anywhere. If it's not bad enough you are stranded at the hotel, but there is only one restaurant on the property.

The one and only restaurant on the property is perhaps the worst issue with the hotel. I was there for 3 days and had to eat 3 meals there. You had to request for a wait staff to take your order. Drinks were not refilled. The order was wrong. There were other tables asking to speak to the manager regarding their service as well. On the lighter side, they did discount 2 of my 3 meals because of the obvious customer service and order accuracy issues.

To sum it up, the Waterfront Westin (That really isn't water front, but is viewable from the water) is a nice hotel - physically. The location and staff are what make this a hotel to avoid. There are plenty of nice hotels in Boston that offer much much more!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tigerider
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I used points and cash to stay at this hotel. No recognition given for Gold SPG Card.
Bath room floor had someone else's hairs on it when we checked in.
Robe missing from bathroom door - no shower cap or other amenities. Housekeeping did not care when I pointed this out.
Rooms need a good hoovering - I found M&M's on the floor beside the bed and a large build up of dust
If you are prepared to use the T it is not a bad location.
Beds are comfortable though.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business