“Fantastic”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I got a fantastic deal on this hotel from otel.com (It was a secret hotel, that I managed to work out, that cost £290 for 5 nights!), but was quite unsure if to book it due to the reviews I had read, but I am glad that I did.

Even though this hotel is out of the city centre I must admit that it did not cause any inconvenience to our stay. The transport links in Boston are fantastic and with the T stop being just over the road it was so easy to get to any area in a few minutes. Cabs were also rather cheap, it only cost us $5 - $8 to get from Copley and Downtown back to the hotel. We have stayed in central Boston previously and I must say that staying by the Waterfront was no problem at all, if anything it was rather relaxing as there were no busy street sounds when trying to sleep. There is also a plentiful supply of cabs outside the hotel and the Boston tour bus comes to the hotel reception.

In all the hotel was very nice. The room was large, clean and very comfortable. We also found the staff very nice and friendly, check in was quick and easy and check out was made even better as they allowed us to delay check out until 5pm! We also found Teresa on the service desk very helpful, she managed to put us in touch with a really cheap and convenient way to get out to the Outlet Village and provided us with take away menus when we wanted a night in after all the shopping we had done in the day had worn us out.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I live in Boston but wanted to have a special New Year's Eve with my boyfriend. I booked last minute for a harbor view room. The view of the firework's from my room located on the 5th floor was spectacular. I was worried about the noise considering the hotel was having a ball but the walls are thick enough that I never heard anyone in the next room or in the hallway.
The room had all the amenities needed and the bed was super comfy.
Roomservice for breaksfast was less than desirable. I like real eggs not that other stuff but coffee and bacon was good.

• Liked — great room
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gin15ger
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2007

This hotel is located near the convention center in Boston South. It is not near the city center or near most attractions. Be sure you are aware of that. There are restaurants, seafront, at about 10 min. walking distance of the hotel.

The lobby is modern, lighty and with great design. The check-in was slow and they did not respect the SPG member line. There was only one attendant and a bunch of people waiting.

The room was modern, spacious with a flat screen HDTV. The Heavenly Bed is, well heavenly. Westin probably still have the best beds in the business. The working desk and chair were confortable and big enough. Unfortunately, they charge for the internet access. That's a shame. The bathroom decoration was very slick and modern with the double head shower.

We use the restaurant only for breakfast (Sauciety). The choice is limited and kind of pricey.

Again at check-out only was attendant and a line.

In all, a very good, very confortable modern hotel. It should really be considered in place of the hotels on the airport site. Service is ok but could be better: Westin is far behind what Fairmont has in term of service.

• Liked — Nice modern lobby and room. Very confortable beds.
  • Disliked — Service and restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Sylvainautourdumonde
nys
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a convention in November 2007. I would highly recommend staying here if you are attending a convention at the new Boston convention center. It was very convenient and luxurious. The beds were great and we had a nice view of the water with sailboats passing through and the city skyscape. The subway station (Silver line) was also right across the street as well, which made going out to restaurants and shopping easy. Starbucks coffee is available in the room (pods). The pool is small but nice and the exercise center was also nicely equipped. My only complaint would be that our room cards constantly deactivated. This happened probably 6 times during our stay and continued to happen when I kept it separated from my cell phone and other cards. I have never had this happen before at any other hotel, and we travel frequently. Hopefully the Westin can fix this issue, as we noticed other guests also having the same problem.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank cedarvalley
paris
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I heard about this hotel from a friend, and as I was in Boston last August, I choose the Westin Waterfront. The hotel seemed so big and more a business hotel (convention center just next door), but looking carefuly, a lot of families were staying there. Staff is professionnal and smily (bellman, front desk housekeeping ). Very lighty lobby (nice atrium) wooden and natural materials everywhere. I had a very comfortable room with a great view of Downtown Boston, huge bathroom, and fabulous sleeping in "heavenly beds", specific to Westin !! also had a coffee maker with Starbucks in room. There is a fitness center and a nice indoor pool, which is very appreciated when you walked in town the whole day ! I was visiting friends in Cambridge (opposite side of town), taxi drive is 15minutes from here and costs around $17/way. Downtown and Historic Boston is a 5-7 minute taxi drive, costs $8/way. I had breakfast buffet at restaurant "Sauciety", simply delicious! So even if the Westin is situated south of Boston (as they said!), I would definitely go back there and recommand it to anybody.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Savannah20
San Francisco
Reviewed November 5, 2007

We stayed here for three nights in November and two of those nights between 4am and 5am the fire alarm for the building went off. The alarm, a flashing strobe light, whooping noise, and a recorded bored woman’s voice alerting you that an alarm has been triggered and to stay in your room, is effective, but copasetic to sleep, it certainly is not. The alarm flashed, and boomed for 10 minutes, before a tired man’s voice came into our room, said that something happened in the kitchen and that’s about it.

I suppose in a way it was exciting.

I had never been in a hotel when a fire alarm had gone off.

Going off at 4am, wasn’t too pleasing though.

It happening again the next morning at 5am was even less pleasing.

In addition to this, and a complete lack of apology (let alone acknowledgment) from anyone, the hallway floors are dirty. I can’t imagine that they ever vacuum. The entire place is over run by conferences, and it is not remotely located close to anything helpful, interesting, or historic, beside perhaps the convention center and the airport (and the airport bus stop).

On the bright side, the staff are friendly and cordial. So they have that going for them…

Then again, if you happen to get a handicap room, plan on the shower flooding the entire bathroom and possibly the rest of your room.

Honestly, for the money you pay to stay here, you should get a lot more. However, since it was obviously built to go with the new convention center and they seem to have no lack of business, I doubt they are going to change anything, any time soon.

• Liked — The staff were friendly
  • Disliked — The alarm, crowds, and diry hallways.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank flansy
Boston
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Unless your going to the convention center.... Don't waste your time or money. The Hotel is in the middle of an industrial area.... miles from anything. We staying there on Sat (11/5) for my wife's birthday are we were VERY disappointed. The hotel is extremely loud- from the lobby to the rooms. We heard they person below us coughing all night. Lots of wonderful hotels to stay at in Boston and this is not one of them !!!! I would rather shovel rocks than stay there again !!

• Stayed November 2007