“Great for Conventions”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #38 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I stayed here for business and honestly chose the hotel because it was the cheapest available of its caliber in the area. Boston hotel rates, at least during the time I was traveling, are very expensive. It's a very large hotel and while I was there it was very, very busy. I think this is because it is next to the convention center and therefore extremely convenient for anyone at a convention. The room was appointed with the necessary conveniences and the service and room service was fine. My room wasn't ready upon check-in--I was the only person in my group who had this issue and they called my cell phone when it was eventually ready. I loved that there was a Starbucks franchise downstairs as there is nothing immediately walkable in this area (though if you go for a longer walk you can find a very nice selection of restaurants by the water).
While nothing stood out as especially unique or wonderful about this hotel, it was clean, functional, well appointed, comfortable and I think it would be absolutely perfect for anyone in town for a convention who won't necessarily be in their room a lot.
My only real complaint is that for such a large and busy hotel, they never seemed to have enough knowledgeable staff on hand. The concierge was of no help in assisting us in choosing a restaurant, and I waited twice in a very long line when checking in while only two staff members manned the check in desks.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Boston is a very expensive city in terms of accomodations in and around the downtown area. The Westin was approximately $225 a night which was the average rate for hotels in the area. Very clean with modern bathroom and guest rooms. The lobby has a starbucks and is quite nice. The location is a bit far away from the action, however it is a short cab ride away to anywhere in the downtown area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We just checked in to this hotel this afternoon. I called the "service express" line twice to get information about the hotel and its services. The woman who was on call was absolutely rude, rude, rude! What more can I say. She was so unwelcoming that I am seriously considering checking out early and moving to someplace more friendly. We are SPG preferred guest members yet still have to pay a fee for internet service which I am adamantly opposed to and most Starwood Hotels waive if you request it. There is no information in the room about what services they have so I called to see if they have a pool, workout room, or spa. Curt answers, no chance to ask anything more. I have just come from DC and NYC where we stayed at the Westin and they couldn't have been more helpful whenever we asked for aid.
In today's environment, there is just no need to be rude, particularly when there are lots of other people who would be happy to have your job.
Enough of that. Beyond that, the location is great. Easy to get to the airport and harbor.
We love Westin's Heavenly bed! Great night's sleep.
This is a convention hotel and there is a convention going on now so the lobby is very very busy.
We were very disappointing that there is no restaurant or bar area with a view to sit, have a cocktail and/or a bit to eat. Won't be dining here. There is a Starbucks downstairs which makes it nice for morning quick cup of coffee.
The rooms are spacious, again with views of parking lots and pretty run down area of town. I certainly wouldn't consider taking a run in this neighborhood.
I would not consider staying here again unless I needed a place to stay before an early flight out.

Room Tip: Can't help with this. Ours had a lousy view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Although I was disappointed to read your comments, they will serve as a learninng tool in our future training classes as to what it means to provide outgoiing, firiendly customer service at all times. It is my hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to provide a more enjoyable experience for your next stay.

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Immediately adjacent to the Boston Convention Center, and a short walk by skybridge from the Seaport World Trade Center (where our event was held). Large, comfortable lobby dominated by tables and chairs - table service (beverages, snacks) available but not pushy. Easy check-in. Reasonable-sized standard rooms. Very good and reasonably priced breakfast buffet in Saucity restaurant. Branch of popular MJ Connor's pub chain in the building. Competent and well-located business center, convenient Starbucks. Easy walk to much of what matters in the convention zone, including terrific new Legal (Seafoods) Harborfront location with open-air bar, outdoor deck seating, and the good quality Legal is known for. Hotel drawbacks: limited outdoor space (a small group of metal tables and chairs on terrace immediately adjacent to driveway), expensive parking, expensive wi-fi ($13/day!!!).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I always have high expectations for Westins, and I wasn't disappointed, particularly as this is a convention center hotel. The room was comfortable but felt a little more cookie-cutter than usual, and the restaurants were surprisingly good. One off moment was the guestroom corridors: they were oddly dark and depressing which made coming and going a little depressing.

Service was great, however, and check-in and out was a breeze.

Room Tip: Starwood Preferred Guest membership is key!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Even if you are not attending a Convention at the Centre right next door, this Westin is a quiet, very friendly atmosphere to relax on your next business or personal trip to Boston,

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I went to Boston with my family and as much as I love them, my parents will always find something to nit-pick. Well, they LOVED this hotel. It was spacious, modern, and clean. They were able to use the pool and jacuzzi at night. Boston isn't a big city so even cabbing it to and from the hotel was not a big deal. We will definitely return. The food is excellent, the employees were very helpful and the lobby bars were a lot of fun.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family