“very good food, and a lively scene. Great place for al fresco dining.”
Review of Stella

Stella
Reserve with OpenTable
Stella is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 3,402 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: Boston's South End
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2007

very good food, and a lively scene. Great place for al fresco dining.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Very good, posh scene, great cocktails!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Well I agree with the previous reviewers about one thing: It is indeed trendy. So trendy in fact that the bar-tenders and wait-staff have apparently concluded that they are so chic and cool for just being there that they really shouldn’t have to serve any of the paying customers. No, at Stella customers are really of something of a nuisance to the staff – customers seem to get in the way of the staff’s main job which is to have fun with each other.

This particular Saturday night there were perhaps 30 patrons in the bar area and the dining room was half full. Behind the bar, 3 bar-tenders were complemented by a bar-back so staffing was not the issue. Yet it consistently took 15 to 20 minutes just to get a staff member’s attention every time we tried to order a drink or an appetizer. Please don’t misunderstand though: the bar staff wasn’t idle, they were busy. Very busy. They were playing cards (yes, literally playing cards) while kissing and having a little slap-and-tickle with each other and of course they had to make their own drinks as well. When they did finally get around to taking our order they served us with a look of utter disdain. When you’re paying $11 for a drink it shouldn’t be like this.

At one point during the evening another couple, evidently having reached their limit with the bad service, ended up storming out of the bar screaming that they had never seen such arrogance in their lives. By the time we left I was ready to do the same.

But hey at least it’s trendy.

1  Thank frankthetank1000
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Went here on a Friday evening with my wife after reading all the hype about this place. Its in a somewhat trendy location in the South End area of Boston and is close to a few trendy areas. The interior is dimly lit and has a nice setting almost like a kitchen in someones house at the bar.The dining room was spacious but had a beach mat style carpet that one women almost slipped on across the room. The food was okay, a mix of Italian and Mediterranean smaller portions. We had a mozzerella/buffalo cheese appetizer that had a crusted outside and was very tart with a tomato sauce on the plate. The drinks on the menu were inventive and a nice selection of wines. I had a nice honey encrusted salmon with spaghetti squash underneath. It was moist and somewhat good. My wife had spaghetti and meatballs which the meatballs were tasty but the spaghetti and sauce was just ordinary. We had some sangria to drink and it was nice. The waitstaff were pleasant but whisked plates off the table quickly even before we were finished. The dessert was a chocolate turnover with a vanilla gelato which was just plain ordinary with no flare. In all for the average money we spent, I think I would have spent a little more to go to a better spot to eat in this vast area of restaurants. I think if you are looking for romance this spot is okay, but for the food...look around.

Reviewed October 29, 2007

Would Stella, a swanky new addition to the South End’s “restaurant row” situated on Washington Street, live up to its billing? After all, an inordinate amount of praise has been heaped upon this establishment, whose trendy ambience and Italian fare have allegedly made this one of Boston’s new dining hotspots. Would Paul’s Palate, like the late Marlon Brando in “A Streetcar Named Desire,” scream aloud Stella’s name in the form of superlatives or shame?

‘Chic’ is the first word that immediately comes to mind upon entering Stella’s pristine interior. Its main dining area is quite large (seats 60) and extends from front-to-back, and if you loop around by the busy kitchen, you’ll find a hidden treasure buried nearby: a smaller, more intimate private room (seats 50) directly overlooking both busy Washington Street and Stella’s seasonal terrazino (an outdoor patio which seats 50 more patrons!). Stella’s all-white interior, dimmed lighting, and illuminated bar create a sleek, modern vibe that is undeniably intoxicating. I half-heartedly expect some type of celebrity to walk into the room at any moment.

This is not to say that Stella’s atmosphere does not have its shortcomings. For one, Paul’s Palate nearly resorts to shouting in order to maintain any semblance of conversation given the poor acoustics, even in the private room. Despite Stella’s painstakingly complex interior design, the plastic wavy white chairs at our table are a fashion monstrosity, if not downright humorous. Lastly, we almost miss the restaurant itself given its lack of exterior lighting and signage. Noise factors aside, most of these minor flaws appear easily correctible.

Fortunately for us, my wife recognizes Stella’s Executive Chef, Robin King, as an acquaintance of hers. Mr. King is outgoing, energetic, and most importantly, both knowledgeable and passionate about the food he prepares. He later arrives at out table and shares with us his favorite dishes on the menu that evening.

The assortment of antipasti from which we choose is both unique and delicious. We begin with crispy fried artichoke hearts, which are playfully served on a narrow plate, and sit atop creamy, zesty country mustard remoulade. I would be more than happy to simply nibble on these tasty tidbits all evening long, but I remind myself that there is much more in store for the remainder of the meal. King also highly recommends the tuna tartare with fried eggs, to which Paul’s Palate responds with slight apprehension given his lack of exposure to raw tuna. One bite of this dish, however, and his tastebuds sing. This most certainly is a winning dish, and makes me want to run into the kitchen and thank Robin for his spot-on suggestion.

As if he were reading my mind, Mr. King brings out a couple of complimentary appetizers to our table. Of the two dishes, the grilled ‘pizze’ with Quattro funghi, shiitake mushrooms, crimini, oyster, and white truffle oil is my least favorite. It is surprisingly bland and lacks the crispness previously relayed to us by Robin. The marinated beet salad, however, served with goat cheese, champagne vinaigrette, and a crunchy crostini, is a marvel of a dish. This salad, along with the tuna tartare, is the last thing Paul’s Palate would ever consider ordering from the menu. Mr King and his diverse menu have miraculously, as the Monkees’ hit song goes, transformed me into a believer.

Pasta dishes are equally delectable. My hearty homemade spaghetti, although a simple dish, is perfectly cooked al dente, and possesses several layers of complexity in flavor, with its toasted garlic, olive oil, and parmesan ingredients. My wife’s orecchiette is also tasty, though a tad too spicy for my liking (King himself rates this dish an 8 out of 10 on the spicy scale), with its chile flakes interwoven with sausage and cured tomato. The couple seated across from us is also deeply appreciative of the quality of their meals. On one plate resides Stella homemade gnocchi, which is wonderfully light, packs a potent potato flavor, and is mixed with tomato, basil, and reggiano. On the other rests a succulent lamb shank surrounded by scrumptious mushroom risotto.

For dessert, the apple crostini comes in a light and fluffy pastry, but not surprisingly, the real stars are the apples, which are moist, warm, and lumpy. Might I add that this dish is accompanied by a steamy-sweet caramel sauce for dipping purposes? This sweet symphony proves so heavenly that Paul’s Palate actually passes on vanilla gelato that also accompanies this dessert.

Value-wise, Stella ranks as one of Paul’s Palate’s all-time favorites. There is simply a dearth of high-end gourmet restaurants that offer appetizers averaging $10 and entrees from $14-$26. Given the lack of weight removed from my wallet that night, I didn’t hesitate to surrender $16 for valet parking. Novelist Terry McMillan got it right after all: Stella most certainly has got her groove back, and Paul’s Palate finds this new culinary kid on the block groovy.

4  Thank PaulsPalate