“Excellent neighborhood restaurant”

Ashmont Grill
Ranked #455 of 3,186 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Bar, International, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
boston, ma
“Excellent neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had been planning to visit Ashmont Grill for a long time, based on reputation, and finally got around to it. It was definitely worth the trip and I would go again. We had the charcuterie appetizer, which had an excellent selection of meats and cheeses and was a generous portion for two. I had a nightly special, venison osso buco with an oatmeal cake (much better than it sounds) and baby turnips and greens. Everything was very well prepared. The venison was the tenderest I've had, altho a bit mild in taste. People sometimes complain that venison is gamey. In this case, it could have used a bit more of an assertive taste. They don't take reservations but we waited only 10 or 15 minutes on a busy night. Prices may be a bit high for the neighborhood, but not for the food or compared to downtown Boston. It seems a little out of the way but it is almost directly across from the Ashmont red line station, so it is very easy to reach from downtown.

• Visited October 2012

Boston
“great food and fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Brought a family member visiting from out of town to the Ashmont Grill, and it was great.
Started with the Berry Salad; strawberries, blueberries, goat cheese, arugula and a vinaigrette - really good. Swordfish dinner special was so moist and tasty, and our guest enjoyed the grilled salmon. Finished the meal with the Plum and Peach Crisp and ice cream. Another great meal at the Grill!

• Visited September 2012
Boston
“Neighborhood spot with quality cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This spot is directly across from the Ashmont T stop on the redline. There is street parking fairly easy enough. The decor is very relaxing, the outdoor space is the choice-- a kind of oasis in the city. The food is all lovely--a good variety made with high grade ingredients. There are intriging specials everyday and nice wine list and pairings offered. I would recommend this place for families, couples or visitors--it has that iniversal appeal.

Visited August 2012
Milton, Massachusetts
“It was good, but not up to the hype.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went to Ashmont Grill to meet up with a few people for drinks. I have heard a lot of reviews of the Ashmont Grill as being fantastic. Overall it was good, but nothing to rave over and a bit pricey.

The dollar shrimp special app was good. I also had the skirt steak, it was a bit undercooked for my taste when I ordered it medium. The bar tenders were all a bit on the unfriendly side.

I would go again, but not specifically run back for anything I saw or had there. It was just ok to me.

• Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“good food and drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Went to Ashmont Grill recently for brunch. We got a couple of specialty drinks-my bloody blue was excellent. My wife and I split the croque monsier madame. It was delicous. Fried were also really good! I recommend this place.

Visited March 2012