“Perfect Date Night”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broad St.
Transit: Orange/Blue Line: State Street Red Line: Downtown Crossing/South Station
Reviewed March 4, 2014

To get in you must have reservations and although my boyfriend and I sat around 6:45, we didn't feel like we were at the "early bird special". Many people filled in after us and soon enough wine was being uncorked every where and food was filling the restaurant with a wonderful smell.

The bone-in rib-eye was PHENOMENAL! Far too much to eat in one sitting. My boyfriend ordered the wild boar pasta dish and it was plate licking good.

We felt we had great service and although this is clearly an upscale restaurant, the service staff still had personality, which I always appreciate.

1  Thank HeatherR640
There are newer reviews for Umbria

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went there with an old Boston family that have been regulars for years. So we were pampered. There was always someone close by who was called a a first name. Things were brought without ordering.

Started with some wonderful parma ham. Very good. Then had the rack of lamb (six chops). Perfectly cooked to order and very tender and juicy. Another had the beef filet, also perfect. One had Chilean sea bass. Large portion also very good. It was tempting, but I last read that it was being over-fished, so I passed. Side orders of grilled carrots and cauliflower. Can't speak as highly for them, but it was carrots and cauliflower - had to get very excited about that. Bread were huge popovers. Very good.

Dessert was a medley of 8 items that suddenly appeared. All wonderful except banana ice cream (I hate bananas).

Overall, the food was wonderful.

However, it was very loud in there and impossible to talk without shouting or leaning close to the person next to you. I was told it was an unusual night, but if I was going there to make eyes at someone, I'd pick a quieter spot.

Not sure how much all this cost, but I'm glad someone else picked up the bill.

1  Thank Mr G
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Cute building, nice decor, and the menu looked promising, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. Quarters are cramped. The popovers were well done. And the food, while certainly good, was expensive for the portion sizes. Our service was great and the wine list was nice as well, but there are just plenty of other really good places in Boston that are of a better value. Would I go back? I might, but probably just to sit at the bar for apps. Not sure that I'd do a meal again.

1  Thank jbfgator
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Went in with high expectations but was very disappointed.
I hesitate to write bad reviews but I really did not like my $300.00 dinner.
Our starter salad was fine but pretty tasteless.
The $45.00 tuna was cold and almost completely tasteless.
The lobster was over cooked and almost impossible to eat (even the waiter couldn't crack the shell!).
The side of cauliflower was also tasteless and a very small portion.
Service was fine and the room is nice enough but I won't be going back.

2  Thank WLand
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Worth every penny. This place has a very authentic Italian feel. Good service improved the experience as well.