“Verdi's Requiem was a tour de force!!”

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Ranked #2 of 46 Concerts & Shows in Boston
Providence, Rhode Island
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Verdi's Requiem was a tour de force!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We attended the Saturday night performance of Verdi's requiem. We had seats in the 2nd balcony. If you haven't been to the BSO, you are missing one of the great concert halls in the United States. My *only* complaint is about the lack of restrictions on attire. The gentleman, and I am using that word lightly, next to me wore black and white track pants, a colorful t-shirt, a bright orange hoodie and a pin that read, "It sucks to be me" to the symphony. I'm not asking that the BSO mandate dinner jackets and cocktail dresses. But dress pants and a tie would be nice.

3 Thank Lucy M

Lenox
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Verdi's Requiem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

So verrrrrrry moving! What a great experience. The hall has by far the best acustics. A pleasure to be able to escape to a different time right here in Boston.

2 Thank 6Z2
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
215 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 585 helpful votes
“Impossible To Fault The BSO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend and I enjoyed Verdi's Requiem, performed by the BSO. It was my first time at this venue and from the moment you enter the magnificent building, you sense that you're in for a treat. The orchestra was conducted by Daniele Gatti and featured four solists, a full choir and the orchestra itself, of course. At times during the piece, the sound was the richest, fullest aural experience I've ever had in a concert hall. Note perfect, thoughout. The performers received a well-deserved standing ovation from the entire audience. Marvellous performance, marvellous setting.

North Attleboro, Massachusetts
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The music there is always spectacular! It's impossible not to enjoy it! When you walk in you can't help but take in the beauty of the hall itself and then you sit, relax, perhaps order a bite to eat or a drink and enjoy the sounds of whoever is playing that night.

Arlington, MA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Just the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

As a first-year BSO subscription subscriber, I have to say that the BSO experience is truly wonderful. Symphony Hall is the first American concert hall designed specifically for acoustical excellence and is considered one of the top 3 in the world. The orchestra is amazing and always gives top-notch performances. Ticket prices are moderate and a good value. Not every piece in every program I attend is known to me or to my liking, but that is only personal preference and I do leave each concert knowing I have learned something and heard the best possible rendition of it. And as for the pieces I do know and love--like the Tchaikovsky violin concerto played with Julian Rachlin last night--simply thrilling. There are several dining options right in Symphony Hall, especially welcome in the winter, but also many others nearby. In addition to the concerts, the BSO offers free talks on various topics (usually with BSO musicians and/or staff) through its BSO 101 program, guided tours of the building, and receptions after certain concerts that feature a Q&A with a BSO player and wine/snacks. In my book, the BSO is doing everything right and I look forward to being a subscriber for many years to come!