“Nice drinks and bar food.”
Review of Eastern Standard

Eastern Standard
Reserve with OpenTable
Eastern Standard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Beacon Street
Transit: Kenmore Station T stop on the Green Line and Bus Routes 119, 193, 55, 57, 60, 65, 8, and CT1 into Kenmore Square
Description: Eastern Standard is an American Brasserie located in the heart of Kenmore Square, featuring a heated patio and the longest marble bar in Boston. At Eastern Standard we strive to re-create every guest’s expectations. As you enter the restaurant you will be warmly greeted by a staff whose main goal is to make your dining experience among the best you have ever had. Guests can depend on the eclectic wine list to be approachable and unpretentious. We offer a full bar featuring 61 delicious classic cocktails from around the world and Eastern Standard originals. From the house made Charcuterie to the warm and indulgent Butterscotch Bread Pudding, your dining experience at Eastern Standard will keep you coming back again and again!
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My brother kindly took me to dinner here for my birthday, so we went as an extended family with his daughter and her friend. Drinks were awesome. The whiskey smash was inspiring and we had a few. The main meal however, although good, ranged from ho-hum (macaroni and cheese which was not anearly as good as some packaged ones) to striving for more (beef marrow bones. We ordered two plates of these and found that the spoons barely, if at all, fit into the bones - bad choice of bones but good choice of menu). The service was adequate - we had to keep asking for serving utensils and silverware - even though they knew we were going to share the several appetizers we bought. Although friendly and courteous, they were not into service at all.
Main dishes were well cooked - the swordfish was perfect and the flank steaks were to order and tasted right. We had one little mishap with after-dinner drinks. I had ordered sauternes (one of my favorite wines - and the majority in my wine collection of several hundred bottles) but the wine that was served did not taste anything like a sauternes. Nevertheless, ti was sweet and nice and we decided not to return it. Basically an average dinner - made very memorable by the presence of family whom i have little opportunity to meet with. Oh - the noise level was also quite high and I could barely hear the conversation. My recommendation is that if you want a pub atmosphere - and fabulous mixed drinks, go here. Otherwise for good food and company, visit the ICOB next door instead - you will probably spend about the same and enjoy it more.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Four of us dined here because of it's proximity to BU, where two of our party currently live. Of course, they were excited to have anything past dorm food! We found it excellent. And as we left, one of our party said his linguine and clams, a favorite ordered many places all over the world, was "The best I've ever had. Hands Down. I'll probably never order it again because this was so good." I had the lobster gnochi, a Friday night special, and it was both crips on the outside and delicate and buttery on the inside. One of the college kids had steak tartare and proclaimed it delicious. We'd heard the drinks are really the thing here--the bartenders are famous within the Boston area as excellent mixologists. We had only one martini among us, but it was cold and mixed perfectly. A fine, fine meal with one dinner claimed to be the best ever. Can't do much better than that, so I'm very glad we chose it!

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Very popular with the local crowd. We used room service to avoid waiting times for tables.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

After a long flight from Texas, we didn't want to venture far from our hotel to find dinner. Luckily the Hotel Commonwealth has this great restaurant! The blueberry martini (it has some cute name, look for it on the drink menu) and the swordfish were awesome; my partner had a burger that was a little too much on the rare side, but the fries were awesome. We shared the flourless chocolate cake for dessert which was heavenly!

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I think I went in with high expectations because it was recommended for lunch by a colleague from Boston. It was good, but there's a lot of good places in Boston.
The French Onion soup wasn't salty like many are, but it was also the sweetest onion soup I've ever had. Almost too sweet.
Beyond that, I just had a grilled cheese sandwich and fries. Sadly, it was more bread than cheese, and the cheese wasn't really gooey, just sort of warm. The fries were nice, I think they had some rosemary on them.

1  Thank MrFrump