“Almost perfect”

Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Reviewed April 21, 2012

One of my favorite places in Boston.

Lets start with the good things: First the food is outstanding. For two we got: The Antipasto, a delicious mix of Italian cheese and sausages. Very good. Then Risotto. It's difficult to complain when the only fault of it is having too many mushrooms (I love to enjoy the rice on its own). The main course, the fish of the day: Branzino. Delicious!. Very simply prepared, just grilled in one piece with a plate of grilled peepers, carrots, potatoes,... The service, very nice and helpful (they prepared the fish for us). Excellent.

Why such an amazing place doesn't get 5 point? Not because it's expensive because I don't mind paying for good food. Not because they don't take reservations and you might have to wait. Not because it's so popular that the table next to you will look like they are in your own party. It's because I cannot understand how they can offer such poor desserts. Way to ruin a nearly perfect experience. Ice-cream really?. I know they have their home made option but in my three visits there they have always run out of it, and it has never been particularly late. That is a big disappointment.

I'll keep going there, I love the food and the experience ("Like being in a tiny restaurant in Italy" my partner described it). But I will never again be let down by their lack of options at the end, it will be their home made one or nothing.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I finally got around to checking this place out and I was not disappointed. The ambiance is not spectacular - this is a small location with minimal decor and not much charm - but the food was quite good. The wine list only offers a handful of bottles at the low end ($25-35), but they also serve a house red in carafes and half carafes (or the Primitivo from Puglia is an excellent choice at the lower end).

Both the mixed antipasto (salami slices, olives, breadsticks, slices of bread, bresaola, gorgonzola and another very good cheese) and the crostini (liver pate, truffulated mushrooms, and two other tasty toppings) were excellent. The gnocchi with walnuts in a gorgonzola sauce were very tasty. The service was attentive. Be aware that portions are small by American standards and that on street parking is a pain (the neighborhood is dominated by resident-only parking spots). There are a couple of garages nearby though (one is on Kilmarnock Street) that only charge $10 if the Sox aren't playing. They also do not accept reservations.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I can not say enough about Trattoria Toscana, The food is outstanding and as the title says the Rigatoni Norcina is superb..if god wants to know what my last meal on earth would be i would tell him or her, either my aunts chicken and stuffing or Trattoria Toscana's Rigatoni Norcina! Never had a bad meal or bad experience there!

1  Thank skeeterp
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I came to this restaurant with friends and colleagues. We had reserved a table for 8 and when we arrived we had to wait for 30-40 mins for the table. Once finally seated we ordered the food, and the waitress suggested us a bottle of wine that was the most expensive one on the list. When a friend refused the suggestion and ordered a more modest 25$ bottle the waitress looked at us in a strange way, and from that moment on we have been treated as garbage.

We all had antipasto, pasta, and entrees which in all honesty where good. Than they brought 8 sides that where on the house as a demonstration of their appreciation for the wait time.

However, when the bill arrived we where charged for all 8 of them and they only allowed 2 credit cards to pay so the other 6 had to go search for an atm to get cash.

Food is good, but will never come back!

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Great food, service and the atmosphere is welcoming and warm. Very small, only 7 tables so it gives you that tucked into a little Italian restaurant feeling. A must on you list for Boston restaurants.