“Horrible then Great”

New England Aquarium Whale Watch
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Boston's best whale watch! Experience whales as only the New England Aquarium can present them! Our experienced marine biologists tell you all about these majestic creatures and the other inhabitants of Stellwagen Bank onboard the only fast catamaran in Boston designed specifically for whale watching! Whale sightings are guaranteed on this family fun adventure!
Reviewed April 9, 2012

It was a terrible trip and a wonderful trip. It was bouncy and a quarter of the people, or so, got ill. They made announcements about where best to get sick. My son and I got quesy stomaches. Also, Ideally, the boat would have less people so everyone could get seats. BUT, the crew was good and we saw whales!! Right whales and humpbacks! The whales saved the voyable. And, a quick appearance of dolphins!

1  Thank Caratach
Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I went with a family with a young child(7 yr old). It was hard to keep him entertained abord the ship because he wasnt listening to what the guide was saying. If you have young kids, you should bring something along for them to look at or play with.
As an adult, It was alot of fun the first 20 minutes out, the guide pointed out many sites and told us what we were seeing(Boston buildings, airport, etc) and then about what we were going to see and life of whales.
We did see whales which was nice!!!
After the first 20 min, it felt like the boat was fighting against the waves, and I had to lie down, and I wasnt the only one.
It wasnt even that windy or wavy out! They have some food on board and Dramamine. I suggest bringing your own though because its more expensive. Overall a good experience if you can deal with the motion sickness.

1  Thank Elk555
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I can honestly say I've never seen so many sick people on a boat! We've been on whale watching tours elsewhere and it was nothing like this. The sea didn't even seem that rough. We had taken the ferry to Provincetown to day before, which takes much of the same route, and didn't see any sick people. A whale watch crew member said it was because of the high-speed nature of the trip needed to get us out there to Stellwagon Banks and back in the appointed time. I'm glad to be able to say my wife and I came prepared by taking dramamine before the trip, so we weren't among those using the multitude of barf bags the crew passed out (and which later littered the ship). We did see humpback whales, not a lot, but we got fairly close and got some decent photos. I will say the ship was pretty crowded and it was difficult to find a good vantage point. Being associated with the New England Aquarium didn't seem to mean this tour emphasized or pushed educational efforts more than others weve been on. I won't say I wouldn't do this again, but I'd certainly consider other tours as well. If you go on this trip, be sure to take dramamine and at some point, visit the second floor to take a look at the bridge, which you can see through glass windows.

4  Thank Dmarkwind
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We went at the beginning of October and while the boat ride seemed to take forever and we were losing hope of seeing any whales, we soon came to an area with tons. Seeing those majestic creatures made this the best part of the trip. Nothing beats nature! Several whales appeared very close to the boat. They're amazing to watch, hands down the best part of our trip.

1  Thank Liyapilly G
Reviewed October 31, 2011

very good well worth the money and got to see whales close up.

Been to New England Aquarium Whale Watch? Share your experiences!