“Worst Stay Ever”

Ranked #74 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Carver, Massachusetts
“Worst Stay Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel due to a blizzard. Not only did i think Marriott was going be a great hotel but a nice area, well to say the least the area was nice:). As far as service hotel is horrible!!! My daughter found a beer can open under a bed scrapped her foot and the room rekked of beer. I called down the front desk and they assured me someone would be right up, which nobody came. Next morning i went down to speak to the gm and all he cared about was the accident report!!! (REALLY)!!! can't believe the treatment from this hotel never will i stay at another Marriott

Room Tip: don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank marcella r
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you experienced during your stay.
I understand there are many hotels to choose from and appreciate that you have selected to stay with us. Thanks for the opportunity to serve you.

The wellbeing of our guests is our number one priority.
I understand that you had experienced some issues during your last stay. Please accept my sincere apology and I can assure you that we have taking the appropriate steps to ensure that those issues do not happen again.

I hope you give us the oportunity to serve you again and showe you the way we have improved from a complete hotel renovation including a new lobby and bistro to our excellent customer service.

Antonio Lama
Assistant general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We are Marriott Elite members and often stay at Marriotts, so when my husband had to have a medical evaluation at Boston University Hospital, we chose this nearby Marriott. Our second floor room (no honoring of my elite status which is supposed to give me a high floor) was depressing - dim lighting, and it looked out on dumpsters and the back of a big box mall. Heating/cooling was noisy, and alternated blasts of hot air with very cold air. Although walking to the mall was supposed to be a plus, the route around the back of the mall was ugly/creepy, not a real path, felt unsafe at night. The whole location of the hotel behind the mall felt strange. Advertised free shuttle to the hospital did not run as planned and we twice had to pay for cabs to get to appointments on time. We checked out and completed our stay at the Hampton Inn Crosstown, which was across the street from the hospital and much nicer. The only plus about this hotel was friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrea H
Chris D, General Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Andrea,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We value your feedback as it enables us to continue to improve and provide better service for our guests.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered and address your concerns, Although we have a very thorough preventative maintenance program, we clearly fell short in providing you a quality room that you have come to expect from our hotel. I wanted to inform you that I have alerted my Maintenance Manager to your concerns and have taken measures to ensure this is corrected immediately. I have also taken the time to address your cleanliness concerns with our team and if given the opportunity, it will not be repeated.

I do hope that despite these inconveniences, you will be willing to give us a chance to welcome you back to our hotel and make your next experience more enjoyable. We look forward to serving you again.

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here just for one night when we dropped off my daughter to college for the 2nd semester. First impression lives up to the Marriott brand. It looks like it was recently refurbished as the carpet , shower curtain looks new. I was a bit disappointed on the bathroom floor that looks dirty and the caulk is breaking/loose.

Very convenient to downtown Boston (approx 10 minutes). Nearby Target, Olive Garden and Applebees.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
The Courtyard- South Boston was delighted to host your group. Even though we currently are just finishing up a complete top to bottom hotel renovations, our staff is doing the best they can to provide you with the best service we can. We invite you to come back and become one of the first to stay in the brand new guest rooms which feature fridges, ihomes, keurig coffee machines as well as flat screen high Definition televisions and a large workspace.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Location: not downtown, about 10 min drive to almost all tourism attractions, right behind a shopping area (Target, Bestbuy, Asian grocery etc.) Room: cozy and clean, not downtown so no street noise, good for the price. Service: they send me a microwave to my room when I asked. Shuttle to the airport costs 5 dollar per person. Breakfast is not free so we didnt try.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christinawr
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and I have to admit that the staff was not as friendly as expected. They made several holds on my credit card, at the end having a hold on credit card more then 1000 dollars for two nights. I complained but was not happy with the staff attitude.
The rooms are the usual Courtyard standard.
This hotel is a good option when traveling by car to avoid parking fees in downtown Boston (here it's for free).
There are a lot of stores just behind of the hotel, you can easily walk there.
The hotel is also conveniently located close to the subway station, which is approx. 5 min by foot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lubor
Dear Lubor:

Moncton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

It's not downtown, but it's a 5-10 minutes walk to the nearest subway station (the T).
Rooms are clean. They look more like airport hotel rooms, but they are decent.
Breakfast was what you would expect from a Courtyard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed for only one night at the Courtyard, on the sixth floor, for $115/night after taxes. The price was fair, but I don't think I'd be very happy had I paid more. As others mention, the breakfast buffet costs $13; we opted to eat at Victoria's Diner (behind the Stop & Shop) instead.

The rooms were attractive enough, with a nice large bathroom, and the draw for us was the king bed (comparable hotels were offering a queen for the same price). The hotel manager had sent out an email the day before with the Allstate Road address; so long as you put the Allstate Road address into your GPS, you shouldn't have a problem finding the hotel, which shares a courtyard with the Holiday Inn Express behind the Best Buy in the shopping plaza. The shopping plaza has a Target, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Shop & Shop, and some chain restaurants - Panera, Olive Garden, and Applebee's. We opted to eat at Cafe Polonia, a nearby Polish restaurant, and enjoyed our meal there very much. The other draw to the hotel was their complimentary parking.

The T stop is a short walk (5-10 minutes) and the other reviews on TripAdvisor had me expecting a dangerous stroll through the ghetto, but it really wasn't bad at all. It may be a little creepy at 2 am, but what isn't creepy at 2 am? The only issue with walking to the T is that the sidewalks were not cleared very well and someone who is older or has mobility issues would definitely fall on all of the ice.

The real problem we had with the hotel was with smells. First, the corner of the room next to the bed smelled like vomit. I couldn't find anything, but it was disgusting (and of course we didn't discover that until we were all unpacked and in our pajamas). Second, the bathroom fan seemed to be dragging all kinds of unwanted smells into our room - food, then cigarette smoke, and the last straw was someone's bowel movement. I know hotels don't offer much in the way of privacy, but if my entire room smells like someone else's bowel movement...thanks, but no thanks.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here, but between all of the smells and the incessantly loud banging of the heating/cooling unit, I think I'll look for somewhere else to stay next time I'm in Boston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple