“Nice stay, free parking!”

Courtyard Boston-South Boston
Ranked #74 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Island Lake, Illinois
“Nice stay, free parking!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Spent 2 days here touring Boston before driving to Maine. We chose this hotel because it was more reasonably priced than those in the heart of Boston, it had free parking, was close to the Andrew red-line T station and had coffee and a frig in the room. We always use the subway, when available, so distance from the city is not an issue with us. Read most of the previous reviews beforehand so we knew some folks had concerns about the "seedy" area on the walk to the T so I went to Google maps street-view and "walked" it to the station to "see" with my own eyes. Looked like a tired and run-down part of the city but nothing that made me apprehensive. When we got there I found my impressions to be accurate. Someone had posted that it's better to use 8 Allstate Dr. as the address on your GPS which we did as soon as we picked up the rental car at Logan. Found the hotel easily. All the dining options at the shopping center next to the hotel were a plus. It was all the typical chain restaurants and fast-food but fine for us as we were there to sight-see not play food critic. Hotel staff was great, especially Kayla. Spent a little time talking to her at check-in to confirm my "google-walk" directions to the subway and she gave us a free breakfast when I asked nicely. :) For our second breakfast we picked up muffins at the Dunkin Donuts next to the Andrews T station on our walk back to the hotel after our first day in Boston. Room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We were very happy with our hotel choice and would stay here again. We loved Boston, it's easy to get around with the T and the people are very friendly and helpful. At the Andrews station we were reading the instructions on the T card machine when a Bostonian came up and gave us a spare Charlie card that he had and then showed us how to add $ to it - what a nice guy! In a couple of minutes we were on our way downtown. Enjoyed doing the whole "tourist-trolley-with-harbor-cruise" thing, walked the Freedom Trail, toured the USS Constitution and then took the water taxi back to the Aquarium Station T stop at Long Wharf. From there it was an easy ride home on the subway. What a great city! Will certainly return and will stay again at the Courtyard South Boston.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue K
Chris D, General Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
The Courtyard by Marriott- South Boston thanks you for taking your time to share your experience with us. We strongly appreciate all of your comments and evaluations. I was honored to read your impressions regarding Kayla and will make sure to let her know. I hope to welcome you back and thank you for your business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Paget Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed August 25, 2012

To my dismay the first impression on this hotel is a let down, simply because the receptionist, that attend our check in simply won't smile at all and gave us the worst rooms in the hotel: - first room next to elevator and the second room next to vending machine. Because of the noise, I was unable to sleep confortable for two nights. I asked her if she has other rooms available and she starts to giving me her personal opinion about the room and location. She was very rude and sarcastic.
I hate having my positive feeling about your hotel ruined by one visit poor reaction from the receptionist and rude.

1 Thank parsley_12
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The front desk staff were always professional, friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed and appreciated the complimentary shuttle service. The only downfall to this hotel is its location because it is in a slightly sketch neighbourhood, however on the other hand the location is good because it is only a 10 minute walk (or free shuttle ride) to the subway station or a 15 minute cab ride ($12) to the harbourfront. This was our second stay here at this hotel (also stayed for 3 days with our family in July 2010) and we noticed an improvement in the quality of service since 2010 (however must note that we had no real complaints two years ago). Both stays we booked through Priceline and got a good rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
The Courtyard by Marriott- South Boston thanks you for taking your time to share your experience with us. We strongly appreciate all of your comments and evaluations. I was honored to read your impressions regarding the front desk and will make sure to let them know. I hope to welcome you back and thank you for your business!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Thanks to the staff at The Courtyard Boston: every person there was really great: helpful, courteous, accomodating. The hotel itself is clean and well kept, quiet. A request to be moved from a room with an adjoining door was made without complaint. Lobby has 2 computers for email, a little snack bar and a restaurant. There is laundry on the 2nd floor: bring quarters!! It's $2 in quarters for a wash and the same for a dry and the front desk did not have any quarters when I asked, so I had to go to the Holiday Inn across the courtyard. Did not use the pool. You have to walk clear across the lobby to get to it from the elevators and sometimes I just don't want to do that walk. Didn't check to see if there was a robe in the room, I suspect not. Good price compared to downtown Boston, but here's the rub. I opted for $400 savings over 3 nights and we took cabs into Boston (total cost $12-$15 each way): but this meant no mid-day hotel siesta (or romance) which is nice when in a busy city. I would likely spring for location next time. Free parking was a total bonus though since one hotel quoted $39 a night! We took the subway once (Andrew Station on Red Line). Neighbourhood is pretty industrial (though you are right behind a mall - Staples, Best Buy, Target - if that's your thing. Kinda dodgy in parts as you walk to the subway, though the hotel has a shuttle to and from the station. I would not have waited around the subway at night for the shuttle. Very hard to find the hotel from the Highway. I am a walking tourist. If I was using Boston as a base and travelling outside the city for day trips I would stay here again. If I was in Boston for a totally downtown tour (or if I had flown in) I would opt for a hotel in the core. Beds were awesome! Pillows were too. AC was pretty noisy, crank it when you leave and shut off before bed.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My mom stayed there a few weeks ago and was extremely pleased with her stay. It was only to stop in Boston for 1 day during a trip from Montreal to Cape Cod. Location was great, free parking and very close to a subway station. The day of the check-out her car would not work. Even though she had a discounted rate, the employees extended her stay and took charge of everything for the car.
I believe special thanks are due to Andy who took it upon himself to call AAA and then arrange everything for the car to be fixed.
Great place, even better staff. Definitely a place to stay in Boston!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank youngmtl514
The Courtyard by Marriott- South Boston thanks you for taking your time to share your experience with us. We strongly appreciate all of your comments and evaluations. I was honored to read your impressions regarding our staff and will make sure to let them know.We sincerely hope that you come back to experience our top to bottom hotel renovations and become one of the first guests to stay at our brand new guest rooms. Thank you for your business!
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed over night and really enjoyed the hotel...very clean and spacious, free Wi-Fi, parking and we had breakfast included. The bathroom has a seat in the shower so it's great if you have any medical issues. Huge closet, flat screen tv, huge computer desk, large comfy beds with lots of pillows! Quiet AC and we had a great view of Boston. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of nights. Nice, clean hotel. The rooms were large and we had 2 queen size beds. Very new looking and the beds were comfy. Free parking and wi-fi. Very uncommon in city hotels. Breakfast was good but pricy. About a 10 min walk to the subway(T). Felt safe walking back to hotel after dark in a group. Would recommend this hotel especially for the price....

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Rhonda G
The Courtyard- South Boston was delighted to host your group. Even though we currently are just finishing up a complete top to bottom hotel renovations, our staff is doing the best they can to provide you with the best service during your stay. We invite you to come back and become one of the first to stay in the brand new guest rooms which feature fridges, ihomes, keurig coffee machines as well as flat screen high Definition televisions and a large workspace.