“One night before a flight”

Courtyard Boston-South Boston
Ranked #72 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We had an early morning flight to catch the day after Thanksgiving so we booked a night here. It is a very nice, well kept, well styled, still smells kinda new hotel. Due to the fact that we arrived on Thanksgiving night we had limited options for food or drink (hotel services were closed). We went out in search of a convenience store hoping to find a beer and soda and snacks for our evening in the room and also pick up some breakfast items as we would miss the hotel food in the morning due to our early flight. This proved to be difficult as MA has blue laws and so there was no beer to be found. The convenience store did have all the other things we needed though, so no harm no foul.... just a word of caution to other potential travellers, if you want a beer I am not sure where you'll find it if the bar is closed.
The staff was friendly and even though they could not help us find a scale to weight our bags, they were very gracious with their appologies. All in all it was a good noghts stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amlunchlady

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel annually for the past few years for a conference I attend at the Boston Convention Center. The rate can't be beat compared to the other hotels and it offers free parking and free shuttle service the to Convention Center (a savings of at least $120). I also took the T and they sent a shuttle to pick me up so I didn't have to walk.

The location is tricky to find but if you look for the South Bay Shopping Center, it is located behind that.

The rooms were clean and modern looking and the bed very comfortable.

I did not use the pool but the gym was adequate.

The front desk staff was always friendly and accomodating. This year, the GM emailed me prior to my stay (nice touch!) and answered some questions I had.

The only thing I miss is complimentary breakfast but they offer coffee and tea around the clock.

Will definitely be staying here again next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank mapsNH
Dave C, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

Thank you so much for the wonderful response. Arriving on your next visit we should be much easier to find. A larger sign will be located on the access road adjacent to the plaza.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

The Courtyard South Boston is everything you expect from Courtyard, but what you'll get is great service at an affordable price. I've stayed here on several occasions and received tremendous service - complimentary breakfast, convenient transportation to & from Andrews Red Line station, and good recommendations from hotel staff.
As much as I enjoy staying at the other Marriott properties in the area, this South Boston location easily offers the best value, so you can relax and spend more on your nights out.

Room Tip: Get a high room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Jason M

Thank you so much for your review. Please introduce yourself if you have time on your next visit. It's a treat meeting our repeat guests.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

We selected this hotel based on past positive experiences with Marriotts, convenient location to where we needed to be, AAA rating and price. We were moving our son into a sublet on Mass Ave about a mile away, so the location was very convenient and the price was right. The location is listed as "Boston St" which is confusing since it is actually behind the South Bay Shopping Plaza which is off Mass Ave. The plaza location worked very well for us and other families who were moving the kids into schools and apts on the 1st of July, which is extremely busy in Boston. The plaza has all the stores (BBB, Target, TJ Max, Home Depot and a grocery store) that you need to buy supplies to set up an apt. or room. The hotel rooms were clean and updated, free wifi, fitness room, friendly staff and free parking which costs $35-$45/night downtown. The hotel is also very conveniently located to the JFK Presidential Library & Museum which is well worth a visit. We definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Roch06

Thank you so much for your review. We are a bit tricky to get to but if using a GPS on your next visit please try the following address. This will bring you to the South Bay Plaza which is connected to our property and we are located directly behind the Best Buy.

7 Allstate Rd.
Boston, MA 02125

Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed here only one night while in transit through Boston. It was not the best Marriott I can recall. It is a good location and cheaper than downtown. A big plus is that the parking is free.
It is close to a shopping mall with Target, Marshalls, Best Buy and much more. The access to the hotel is tricky because it is through the malls parking lot, far around the corner.
The service is not special, being a big hotel there are line-ups at the check-in counter and sometimes only one representative to take care of the guests.
This is a high traffic hotel with a lot of people coming and going. I asked for a room far from elevators which was no luck as it was close to the staircase. There was traffic far beyond midnight with doors slamming and people talking loud, not the best sleep. In the morning the main door was broken and out of place.
The lobby is large but crowded and noisy. The swimming pool is small and has a jacuzzi. Towels were missing but were brought in promptly after seing the front desk. Free coffee and tea is available in the main lobby.
The room was the typical Marriott room but found it smaller than the usual. You find here the same ammenities available at other hotels in the chain.
As I said, nothing out of the ordinary. If I find myself in the area I would try my luck somewhere else. If you get a great special is worth-it. I had a free night Marriott cupon because I travel a lot so it was free for me but if I would have to pay $200 per night this will not be my choice.

Room Tip: A higher floor gives you a better panorama but do not get it in the back.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments.

I feel you were somewhat disappointed and I would like to discuss your stay further if you would provide me the opportunity. I am especially interested in that you wanted to be away from the elevator so you received a room near the stairs. Did you want to be near the elevator. Also you mentioned that a door was broken which I would like to have checked.

Please, please contact a member of our management team if I am unavailable.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Recently stayed here for a girls weekend in the city and conference. I was amazed at the prices in the city so this was a nicer option (more than I would normally pay for a courtyard marriott but way better than $300+/night in the city).
Everything was as pictured, was updated and clean. Only improvement in the room could have been a mirror outside the bathroom but the shower was great! Front desk staff were not overly friendly but polite. Had our breakfast not come included with the room price I would not have paid the $12+ per person that is normally charged. It was a simple breakfast that most hotels offer for free. Others have mentioned about not feeling safe while walking to the T; we walked several times and had no problems. The hotel can be a bit tricky to find when driving however. Located just behind a large shopping complex with an Olive Garden, Panera, Applebees, and grocery store which was convenient.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room facing the city/shopping center on an upper floor!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments.

I just wanted to mention that being a Courtyard we are not permitted to offer complimentary breakfast as other Marriott brands do. However, in the very beginning of 2012 our lobby and restaurant will be receiving a complete update including the Courtyard Bistro. We will serve breakfast, luch and dinner with a Starbucks as well. Dinning operations will be a significant upgrade from the buffet service.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Full disclosure-I am a marriott elite which typically means I'm used to excellent service, potentially freebies and sometimes an upgraded room when I stay at Marriott properties. I mostly stay at small non Marriott hotels when I travel to NYC but outside of that area prefer Marriotts when I have the choice.

I stayed over the weekend for one night at the Courtyard South Boston. I was underwhelmed by this hotel, it's average. The room had a decent view. The hotel only has 6 floors so ask for a room on a higher floor if you want a view. The check in clerk seemed busy at our 3'sh check in time but the room was ready.

The good:
-free parking and a very easy trip into Boston. We had no issues (once we figured out where the hotel was) with getting in/out of the city from this location.
-convenient to shopping (target, best buy, etc) if you forgot anything at home
-no bedbugs, at least in our room. I check every single time in every hotel I'm in.
-wasn't as noisy at night as staying in the city itself. I travel a lot for work so I'm used to it but when traveling with my kid for a random trip, I want him to sleep well.

The bad:
-my room was not 100% clean. There were hairs in the sink and on the bathroom floor. There were also a few on the blanket. There was an empty ice cream box on the floor with a wrapper/stick in it. We did not complain about this and just picked them up with a tissue. They seemed really busy and that's probably what they would have done anyway.
-our TV would not work right at first, the lady at the front desk was nice about it and they came up to fix it while we were at dinner. Minor annoyance, but still, I usually don't have problems like this. One of the marriotts I stayed in had a glass of wine waiting!
-the air conditioning was really loud in our room when it is gearing up to reach the temperature on the thermostat. We just wound up shutting it off in the middle of the night, it kept waking the kid/me. Could just be an older room, I'd test it during waking hours if you are staying there.

Not their fault but the people next door to us started smoking in their room in the morning. My kid has asthma so we had to check out early. They nicely offered to move us to a different room for the couple of hours but it just wasn't worth it. We just headed to our destination earlier. I really wish people would pay attention to the no smoking signs! The staff was very nice and looked like they were going to go up there and approach them (I hope so!).

Maybe I've just had great experiences elsewhere but I will be trying a different hotel when I go to Boston for business in a couple of weeks. I rarely travel for family travel, usually for business and was hoping this hotel would be a good choice for future family trips to Boston. I plan on staying in the city the next two times and see how painful that is before deciding if I will give this property another try.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

I am very sorry your stay was less than desired. I understand you had several issues regarding your stay and I would like the opportunity to make this up to you on your next visit.

Please ask for me when making reservations.