“They lost that feeling” 2 of 5 bubbles

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“They lost that feeling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Was so looking forward to the reopening of the Oak bar but the six of us were all disappointment with the change in atmosphere. The martini's have jumped to $22! Oh and the nice nuts are gone.

Visited July 2013

Watertown, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Disappointed - not the historic gem we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I had been talking about going to this place to enjoy nice cocktails since we moved to the Boston area 3 years ago. We heard that it was completely remodeled to be a more contemporary atmosphere, catering more to young people, but we still had high hopes (even though we aren't that old - in our 30s). Just wasn't what we expected. I guess we were expecting an upscale bar with an intimate feel and an attentive bar staff. Instead, it was a large, busy, hotel bar basically. Nothing special. The bar staff actually took a while to take our order and then billed us incorrectly. They were swift to correct the error. The most disappointing part was that it wasn't the historic gem we thought it would be. The drinks were good. Nothing wrong with them, but again - nothing to write home about.My husband tried the St James. I'm pregnant, so I got the only nonalcoholic offering, "mixed juices," which was fine, but I've experienced more upscale concoctions at much less high-end spots.

Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“OLD FAVOURITE CHANGES TO YOUNGER CROWD PLEASER”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The venerable old hotel dining room and bar was renovated and re-opened in June 2012 with a new, younger ambience. It is packed in the evenings and there are no reservations. We find two comfortable leather studded high back stools to sit at the bar and relax after a long drive into town. The bartender understands immediately what constitutes a “gentleman’s portion” of scotch. Two plates of really, really good New England clam chowder arrive piping hot. The lobster mac and cheese, with lots of fresh Maine lobster chunks, Monterey jack, cheddar and parmesan and oversize noodles, is overpriced at $32, but a massive portion served in a cast iron pan is easily enough for two to share. The menu is limited with 12 appetisers and 12 mains, but there is something for every taste. On another visit we have breakfast and enjoy perhaps the best eggs Benedict we’ve had for a while.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank gentlemansportion
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“beautiful building and great food, staff let them down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

great food in a stunning building but terrible service. had to get up on more than one occasion to ask for more drinks. waiter seemed very uninterested and annoyed at us being there. nice for a look but better experiences to be had in Boston.

1 Thank M0nika81
Boston, Massachusetts
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A Bar Scene more than a restaurant -”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you like hustle and bustle and a lot of noise - this is your place - especially if you like MARTINIS - they are excellent and ample - price $18 - for approximately 1+ size drink

The seating is ridiculous. My friend who weighs about 98 lbs soaking wet absolutely could not move the chair which felt like it was 50 lbs. - the table was oversized - and on the other side was a low slung banquette which forced me to sit very upright and straight and lean up to eat my meal.

Everything was oversalted. I could feel my reaction to this as I ate. I ordered the Roasted Lobster which was tasty - again - oversalted. The desserts at our table were awful. The Panna Cotta - had a strange texture instead of being silky. the chocolate whatever it was - had no taste. And the cheesecake left a lot to be desired.

I would not every go there for anything a quick flatbread - which was skimpily dressed with "pulled pork" and a martini - that's it!

Shiraz-2011