“Great club didn't love the group”
Review of Scullers Jazz Club

Scullers Jazz Club
Ranked #16 of 156 Nightlife in Boston
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This is the second year in a row that friends and us spent part of our New Year's celebration at Sculler's. It is a fantastic venue, and both years we chose the early show, as the price is more within our budget. While last year we adored the jazz ensemble, this year not so much. But as with everything, it is a matter of taste! So definitely check this place out!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Last was there to see Najee. Always a favorite venue, but do yourself a favor and skip the Green Room dinner/show combo -- bland to mediocre food at inflated prices. You'll have a better time dining at one of the excellent nearby restaurants in Brookline or Cambridge or Back Bay and then coming to see the show. Scullers has had an amazing array of stellar artists over the years, of whom many have returned again and again to perform in this comfortable, intimate setting: Oleta Adams, Joe Sample paired with Lalah Hathaway, Eartha Kitt, Angela Bofill, Shirley Horn, Nancy Wilson to name just a few...... There've been countless others.

Book early to get the best seats, and you will be rewarded with front row or stageside seats that literally position you a couple of feet from some of the greatest jazz performers alive today.

Over the years, I've found it best to come for the music, not the food. Typically we may order a glass of wine but will skip the cloyingly sweet desserts that are awkwardly delivered by a handful of waitstaff trying to squeeze through the tightly packed tables and chairs. Face it, you're there to experience some artists of timeless appeal in an intimate setting, and we've seen a number of performers express their pleasure at being there by joking and conversing easily with the audience in between songs. I've seen Oleta Adams at Newport, singing through an amplified system to an audience of tens of thousands from a faraway elevated stage. It is a far, far different experience to be seated three feet away from her and see her make eye to eye contact with her drummer-husband as the two communicate while performing. You don't experience her incredible sense of humor in Newport, but you are able to do so at Scullers, while you enjoy her music into which she pours her heart for the small, adoring audience. It's an experience you don't get in many other venues.

2  Thank Bostonridr
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Scullers is by far, the best jazz venue in Boston. Relatively small and not a bad table in the room, Scullers is very intimate. Scullers hosts some of the best jazz artists in the business. Wife and I enjoyed a performance by John Pizzarelli last weekend and we weren't disappointed. A beautiful high top on the back of the room, afforded us a perfect line of site.

Scullers also offers a pre-concert dining option which also will provide to you preferred seating for the show. Also, for those of you traveling a bit to attend, the club is housed in the Doubletree Suites, so post performance, simply slide into your room and drift away.

Food/drink offering during the show is just right and pricing is perfectly in line to just enjoy the show and not worry about breaking the bank.

A great lineup is in store for the remainder of the year and we've already booked a few more shows. I believe Scullers has it over the Regatta Bar across the river in Cambridge and love to patronize on a regular basis.

So hit their web site regularly and enjoy a wonderful evening with top notch jazz artists.

2  Thank JoeP71688
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

The Steve Tyrell show at Scullers this weekend was performance at its highest level. The sound quality at Scullers was as good as any I've ever heard anywhere. Every note on every instrument came through crystal clear and perfectly balanced.
The staff was attentive and very professional. This place has class, atmosphere and is IMO one of Americas best jazz rooms !!! Thanks for delivering a first class evening.
Class never goes out of style period.

1  Thank bodeeda
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is only the second Jazz club that I have been to. I only have the Regattabar at Charles Hotel to compare, so you may want to take this review as a small piece of the picture. Scullers service is better then Regatta. They have the same small tables as the Regatta and sit 4 ppl per table (unless you book 4 ppl, you will sit with 2 strangers). I will state for this show (I don't know if it's always set up this way) but the tables were VERY close, you had NO room. The man behind me kept hitting my chair every time he shifted in his seat. The drinks and food were good but pricey. The atmosphere was nice, however, I would have enjoyed myself more with a little more room. Until I have more experience with Jazz Clubs, I'm not sure if all of this is the norm.

1  Thank Musicluver1