“Hotel 140 is quaint and cozy with a pleasant and helpful staff.”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The Hotel 140 in Boston, MA, is a historical and charming building. The architecture of the lobby is beautiful and the rooms are spacious, warm and clean (with extremely cozy beds). The staff was exceptionally courteous and helpful with directions to points of interest and local restaurants. The building is located in Copley Square, which is a historical area in Boston and full of things to do and places to go. My family and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay somewhere that is comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank travelNY2010
Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed January 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed here (we're in our early 30s) from a Friday to Tuesday and found the accommodations to be above average for the price (with tax we paid about $110.00 a night). We kept our "do not disturb" sign up the entire time so we can't attest to the day to day housekeeping, however, our room was clean and tidy upon arrival and the staff left a bag with fresh towels and shampoo/conditioner/lotion/soap in front of our door daily. This extra effort meant a lot to us. The front desk also provided us with a razor and toothpaste as we neglected to bring our own. Matt checked us in and out and was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. Our room had a fridge. Located within two minute walk of the Back Bay T stop and walking distance to Shaw's (a small supermarket) and a mall. Wendy's, Burger King, a BBQ/steak house called Whiskey's, California Pizza Kitchen, PF Chang's, all within 10-15 minute walk. A wired connection to the Internet (long cord too!) was in the room free of charge. A microwave would have been a nice addition to the room. Also the gym was just an elliptical machine, a recumbent bike and a balance ball shared by all guests. However, we only had to wait 10 minutes to use it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank abonyang
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I recently celebrated my birthday in Boston. A few friends and I stayed in the Kennedy suite at Hotel 140 and I was very impressed! The hotel staff was FRIENDLY and helpful! The facility was very CLEAN! My favorite part was the LOCATION, the area is surrounded with great places to dine, as well as trendy bars to enjoy a few drinks. The best part is everything is within walking distance! Me and the group I was traveling with had a great night! Thanks Hotel 140!

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank britt0113Ri
Reviewed January 5, 2010

They are truly the worst people to stay with. I was completely upset with my stay. The hotel over charged me, told me that I could not have another room, even though not all my guests could not stay in the room. The room only had a twin and full size bed, and I had four people with us. We called and they did nothing. They treated me horribly and did not even care. I just want to let everyone know that it is the worst that I have every been treated. They just want your money and dont care about you or your guest, Stay elsewhere and save yourself the pain and frustration.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank MCofran
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We went to Boston to celebrate my birthday and had booked the Happy Birthday package online. When we got to the hotel we could not have been happier with the location. It was so close to all of the historical sites so that we could walk to everything. There was also a subway only a block away for when the weather cooled too much for these Californians so we didn't want to walk. Now the room was pretty simplistic, but for the price and the location it was worth it. We didn't plan on staying in the room a lot. We did have problems with getting room keys that would work (something to do with a new lock being installed from a different floor) and it took 5 times and a day before we actually had keys that worked, but the staff could not have been more helpful and let us into our room several times. We highly recommend the hotel and will stay there again. One note: if you book an online package make sure you have proof and follow up with the manager during the stay. I had discounted room rate that was not honored during the stay but after several e-mails the manager did refund us and personally called me.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank llivrob
Reviewed November 13, 2009

So I booked this trip on Priceline because I was coming to a conference and quite honestly didn't need anything that great for me to crash a couple of nights.

At first look, I did get a bit lost, signage isn't the best thing w/ the hotel, but once I got inside the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I needed a package to be delivered and before I was officially checked in, he made sure that I had received it.

Based on some of the reviews I was expecting a bare bones kind of room, and that is just about what you get. My room simply had a bed, desk, office chair, and wardrobe. The linoleum floors were interesting. However bare bones this room was, it was very clean. I was hoping for a bathtub, but the stand up shower was fine.

Overall, not that bad for the location and the price. Don't have high expectations. But I would still recommend this place for a cheap, clean place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank paman2000
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel from oct 28th through november 2nd. the staff that waited on me were friendly and helpfull. not once did they complain or anything. they were helpful with my questions and my late arrival. when i had problems with the door key card they were very helpful. When i accidentally checked out early due to me being confused on the time(the alarm clock i had with me is very easy to mess up the time when setting the alarm and when it read 10:40PM i thought it was really 10:40AM and i was panicking thinking i was going to miss my train back to Chicago.) they were very helpful and re-instated my reservation. When i had more problems with the door key(i went up and down in the elevator at least 5 times trying to get the card to work) they did not complain or anything. they ended up putting me in a different room(this was after i checked out by accident) for the rest of the stay. i would highly recommend this place. i did not try the cafe so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo