“LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION”

Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Southern California
“LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION”
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We went to Boston to celebrate my birthday and had booked the Happy Birthday package online. When we got to the hotel we could not have been happier with the location. It was so close to all of the historical sites so that we could walk to everything. There was also a subway only a block away for when the weather cooled too much for these Californians so we didn't want to walk. Now the room was pretty simplistic, but for the price and the location it was worth it. We didn't plan on staying in the room a lot. We did have problems with getting room keys that would work (something to do with a new lock being installed from a different floor) and it took 5 times and a day before we actually had keys that worked, but the staff could not have been more helpful and let us into our room several times. We highly recommend the hotel and will stay there again. One note: if you book an online package make sure you have proof and follow up with the manager during the stay. I had discounted room rate that was not honored during the stay but after several e-mails the manager did refund us and personally called me.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank llivrob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed November 13, 2009

So I booked this trip on Priceline because I was coming to a conference and quite honestly didn't need anything that great for me to crash a couple of nights.

At first look, I did get a bit lost, signage isn't the best thing w/ the hotel, but once I got inside the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I needed a package to be delivered and before I was officially checked in, he made sure that I had received it.

Based on some of the reviews I was expecting a bare bones kind of room, and that is just about what you get. My room simply had a bed, desk, office chair, and wardrobe. The linoleum floors were interesting. However bare bones this room was, it was very clean. I was hoping for a bathtub, but the stand up shower was fine.

Overall, not that bad for the location and the price. Don't have high expectations. But I would still recommend this place for a cheap, clean place to sleep.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank paman2000
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel from oct 28th through november 2nd. the staff that waited on me were friendly and helpfull. not once did they complain or anything. they were helpful with my questions and my late arrival. when i had problems with the door key card they were very helpful. When i accidentally checked out early due to me being confused on the time(the alarm clock i had with me is very easy to mess up the time when setting the alarm and when it read 10:40PM i thought it was really 10:40AM and i was panicking thinking i was going to miss my train back to Chicago.) they were very helpful and re-instated my reservation. When i had more problems with the door key(i went up and down in the elevator at least 5 times trying to get the card to work) they did not complain or anything. they ended up putting me in a different room(this was after i checked out by accident) for the rest of the stay. i would highly recommend this place. i did not try the cafe so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank railfanMichigan
York, UK
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Upon arrival at the hotel, the banner outside proudly boasts of this hotel's boutique status, as does the website.
Obviously the US and UK take on 'boutique' differs.
In this instance, the kitsch factor is staying in a dormitory-type room in which you could not swing a cat. The YWCA logo is still on the building, this should not be ignored when looking for a comfort-factor rating.
In my book, boutique would offer me more than lino floors, tiny bed, a jumbo jet in the wall mascerading as the a/c and a two inch gap between the bottom of the door to the floor. And just to add to the fun, a bunch of party-goers returning at 2am shouting and screaming.. nice.
If this had been the UK I would have asked for my money back.
This was supposed to be a special holiday for my girlfriends 40th, and whilst it didn't ruin the holiday it put a good dent in it.
I could live with the lack of service, and the joke of a cafeteria but the standard of the rooms were diabolical. I must say in the housekeeping's defence though, it is very clean.
I'm not a professional critic, or overly picky; we left Boston for NYC and the hotel there was fantastic, and cheaper..

1 Thank YorkyRedLeeds
Virginia
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Okay...as a frequent traveler to Boston, I tend to stay at the ParkerHouse- Omni but the 140 was $50 a night cheaper so I made the switch. House staff was not particularly friendly or welcoming. The rooms were small and set up like a dorm room Bed was comfortable but it was like I had yet to move all my stuff in on college move in day.- Nice old YWCA pictures on the walls. I was in the elevator with folks with large bags of recycling who where quite nice who were also staying at the hotel. Linens in bath were stained. NO secondary security lock from the inside of the room!! Generally would not recommend to anyone who was on business but perhaps if you are just looking for a place to drop after a hard day of vacationing...even then think about the Omni.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
california, usa
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stayed here twice in October. I would recommend it for someone wanting a decent priced hotel (for Boston) and a good location. It is a couple blocks from Newbury Street (lots of restaurants and shops), the Freedom Trail, and the Public Gardens and Common. Make sure you verify reservations because they lost ours for the first stay but recovered the mistake by upgrading us to a suite. The rooms are very contemporary (and in my opinion not very comfortable for lounging in the room) but the furnishings are nice and the service is good. There is no continental breakfast but they give you a coupon for two items (coffee, juice, pastry) at the little cafe off the lobby. Also no coffee in the room. WiFi is good and free paper in the lobby.

Tacoma
Reviewed October 20, 2009

The rooms at the hotel 140 were very small. In the bathroom you couldn't open the shower door and the bathroom door at the same time. The closet was waist high. Some of the floors did not have carpeting in the rooms or hallways.