“Very frendly staff and clean and close”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel from oct 28th through november 2nd. the staff that waited on me were friendly and helpfull. not once did they complain or anything. they were helpful with my questions and my late arrival. when i had problems with the door key card they were very helpful. When i accidentally checked out early due to me being confused on the time(the alarm clock i had with me is very easy to mess up the time when setting the alarm and when it read 10:40PM i thought it was really 10:40AM and i was panicking thinking i was going to miss my train back to Chicago.) they were very helpful and re-instated my reservation. When i had more problems with the door key(i went up and down in the elevator at least 5 times trying to get the card to work) they did not complain or anything. they ended up putting me in a different room(this was after i checked out by accident) for the rest of the stay. i would highly recommend this place. i did not try the cafe so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank railfanMichigan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,166)

Reviewed October 29, 2009

Upon arrival at the hotel, the banner outside proudly boasts of this hotel's boutique status, as does the website.
Obviously the US and UK take on 'boutique' differs.
In this instance, the kitsch factor is staying in a dormitory-type room in which you could not swing a cat. The YWCA logo is still on the building, this should not be ignored when looking for a comfort-factor rating.
In my book, boutique would offer me more than lino floors, tiny bed, a jumbo jet in the wall mascerading as the a/c and a two inch gap between the bottom of the door to the floor. And just to add to the fun, a bunch of party-goers returning at 2am shouting and screaming.. nice.
If this had been the UK I would have asked for my money back.
This was supposed to be a special holiday for my girlfriends 40th, and whilst it didn't ruin the holiday it put a good dent in it.
I could live with the lack of service, and the joke of a cafeteria but the standard of the rooms were diabolical. I must say in the housekeeping's defence though, it is very clean.
I'm not a professional critic, or overly picky; we left Boston for NYC and the hotel there was fantastic, and cheaper..

1  Thank YorkyRedLeeds
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Okay...as a frequent traveler to Boston, I tend to stay at the ParkerHouse- Omni but the 140 was $50 a night cheaper so I made the switch. House staff was not particularly friendly or welcoming. The rooms were small and set up like a dorm room Bed was comfortable but it was like I had yet to move all my stuff in on college move in day.- Nice old YWCA pictures on the walls. I was in the elevator with folks with large bags of recycling who where quite nice who were also staying at the hotel. Linens in bath were stained. NO secondary security lock from the inside of the room!! Generally would not recommend to anyone who was on business but perhaps if you are just looking for a place to drop after a hard day of vacationing...even then think about the Omni.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stayed here twice in October. I would recommend it for someone wanting a decent priced hotel (for Boston) and a good location. It is a couple blocks from Newbury Street (lots of restaurants and shops), the Freedom Trail, and the Public Gardens and Common. Make sure you verify reservations because they lost ours for the first stay but recovered the mistake by upgrading us to a suite. The rooms are very contemporary (and in my opinion not very comfortable for lounging in the room) but the furnishings are nice and the service is good. There is no continental breakfast but they give you a coupon for two items (coffee, juice, pastry) at the little cafe off the lobby. Also no coffee in the room. WiFi is good and free paper in the lobby.

Reviewed October 20, 2009

The rooms at the hotel 140 were very small. In the bathroom you couldn't open the shower door and the bathroom door at the same time. The closet was waist high. Some of the floors did not have carpeting in the rooms or hallways.

Reviewed October 17, 2009

Having read some of the mixed reviews about Hotel 140 on this site, I didn’t know what to expect when we checked in on Monday, Oct. 5 for a five-night stay. Our party included me, my husband, and my husband’s two sons (ages 18 and 20). The room we had reserved for the two boys wasn’t available, so they upgraded them to a suite (room 1010) at the same price as the room! They each had their own bedroom and bathroom and shared a living room/kitchen area. My husband and I stayed in a room with one queen sized bed (room 712).

I really loved the décor. It was minimalist…no ugly paintings of bright flowers on the walls! Our room was small, but very clean and well maintained and quiet, as was the suite.

Our only complaints were that the shower in my husband’s and my room gave new meaning to low flow. We are used to high water pressure, and this shower was pathetic, but we managed. The A/C unit in our room was also quite loud, but, again, we managed.

Those are truly the only two negatives. There are many positives of Hotel 140, most notably its excellent location. It’s only a half block from the Back Bay T station and within a short walking distance to a grocery store, several restaurants and businesses, and parks. We walked everywhere or took the T—no need whatsoever for a car unless you plan to travel outside of the city. It is also very close to the airport.

Both rooms had fridges, so we ate breakfast in our rooms most of the time. The hotel has a small café attached to it where one can get breakfast, lunch, beverages, and snacks. The boys did use the vouchers for breakfast a couple times, and also bought breakfast in the café a couple times. I think one paid only $5 for an omelet, bacon, and potatoes.

Overall, Hotel 140 offers outstanding value for the money. We enjoyed staying here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We travelled from Ireland to Boston on Sept 23rd and stayed in Hotel 140 for 7 nights. I can only recommend it in the highest possible terms. There were 4 of us in the party, myself, husband, daughter and son-in-law. Hotel 140 is excellent value for money, probably one of the most central locations at which one can stay, due to its proximity to subway, shops, restaurants etc and also because it is so convenient to the airport.

On checking in we were greeted very warmly by a lovely lady at Reception - Gigi is her name - and during our entire stay this lady (for that is what she is) made us feel so welcome, was so obliging and corteous and went out of her way to make our visit to Boston as enjoyable as it possibly could be. Nothing was too much trouble to her, she took time to answer our questions, give us directions, advise us on places to go and tours to take .... it was like dealing with an established family friend who wanted us to enjoy our visit to the absolute maximum. Thank you Gigi!

Indeed, all the staff were friendly and hospitable throughout our stay. There was never any feeling of being rushed or that you were holding up other guests - there were always enough staff at Reception to attend to everybody without delay.

The rooms were clean, serviced every day, towels changed, all necessary toiletries replenished with each service so there was always a good supply of soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc. The room was warm, comfortable and clean, plenty storage for clothes, TV, air conditioning. Having read some other (negative) reviews of Hotel 140, I am not sure where some of these people stayed .... certainly not in the same kind of rooms as we did.

Downstairs each morning, we collected a token at Reception which was redeemable in the restaurant for 2 items of choice i.e coffee/tea/juice/water and a muffin/croissant/doughnut .... whatever. There was also a choice of cooked breakfast available at an affordable price and some mornings we ate bacon, eggs, sausages .... again, a matter of choice for guests.

Hotel 140 is not 5 star excellence, but neither did we pay for or expect that it would be. It was fantastic value for the price we paid, we had no complaints with any aspect of it and not alone do we intend to go back and stay there again, we would have NO hesitation in recommending it to anybody visiting Boston in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family