“Sisters get away”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My sister and I decided to take a few days off for a “girls get away” to Boston. After looking for hotels and checking with TripAdvisor recommendations we decided to stay at Hotel 140. As we only had three days in Boston, we arrived early and the kind staff, were happy to hold our luggage for us. I might also add, that they called our cell phone at noon, and said our room was ready. Also they held our luggage after check out, so we could spend the day sight seeing.
The location of the hotel was fantastic we walked everywhere. If you don’t like to walk transportation is literally a few hundred feet away. There were some great restaurants very close. The Salty Pig was great for a light supper or a quick snack and we also had a great breakfast at Charlie’s.
The hotel is not fancy. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the hotel for you. If you want clean, no frills and just a place to sleep I recommend this hotel. The bathroom was ok. However, the shower spray needed work. There was probably away to adjust the flow, but we couldn’t figure it out. There were vending machines and ice outside our room. We bought a bottle of wine and didn’t want to drink it out of the plastic glasses in the room. I went down to the front desk and the sweet girl got us two nice wine glasses and brought them up to us. We were told that Hotel 140 used to be a YWCA (I’m sure they said the first one). It was fun to look at the old pictures from the 40’s of girls in gym outfits and old hair styles exercising. Sometimes, you just don't need luxury, especially with a good friend or sister. The quirky things are what you remember and share those memories for years to come. We will always remember our trip to Hotel 140.
From what we experienced Boston is quite expensive. I know I would rather save on the room, especially if I just used it for a place to sleep and spend more on the great restaurants.
We will definitely return to Hotel 140 if we return to Boston, and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank europeantravel-7
Write a ReviewReviews (2,153)

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and found the hotel to be very well located- we walked everywhere including Fenway Park for a game (it took approx 30 mins along the very lovely Commonwealth Avenue) & to Boston Common and the Freedom Trail. The hotel is right around then corner from Copley Square and the impressive Hancock Tower.
Our room was a standard double, so was quite small for 2 people but had everything we needed. The only downside was that it was an inside room & it was always very dark. It was also quite stuffy & there was a smoke alarm just above the bed that flashed every second, so at night it was quite annoying but apart from that it was fine for what we needed.
We found the laundry room on the 5th floor very useful & it is also attached to a small lounge with a sink, microwaves & vending machines.
All in all a lovely hotel, nothing fancy but great for a city hotel! :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cloudyhead
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a great Hotel, perfect location. There are plenty of places that are easily within walking distance. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, very small but perfect for a solo business trip. Rooms were also clean and maintained; I would easily stay here again. I do like the idea of having room service for breakfast which is not an option but this way you have to get out an explore, which means you will find Flour....The Award winning bakery right around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Jonathan A, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Joby P,

Thank you for your review of Hotel 140. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here! We pride ourselves on cleanliness and guest service, we have a remarkable team.
Our location is great and since our rooms are a bit smaller than others in Back Bay, they are priced reasonably. We have a great quick service restaurant, Viga, now open in our lobby for guest convenience which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Please visit us again on your next trip to Boston!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Staff was very friendly when I arrived, gave me a free room upgrade and an early check-in - perfect after a long travel day. Room was super clean, no issues. Property was in the process of upgrading door locks, but they were only making noise during the day (they were polite and efficient, didn't impose- I like that they didn't bother to ask if they could do my room door at the time, just came back later when I wasn't around). I like that the room was small - it wasn't a secret/surprise, I don't need much space, and would rather not pay for it. Location was fantastic for an out-of-town tourist - close to all I wanted to do in the Back Bay as well as multiple near-by transit stops and a great breakfast place across the street (Flour). Walls were a little thin but I only had someone next to me on one night out of three and there was no noise late. Desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful whenever I interacted with them. They offered to hold my bags for the day when I checked out which was much appreciated. The hotel is in a 100-year-old historic building, but it's very modern and updated inside - feels like a new building but has the charm of an old one. Lobby was very comfortable, warm, and welcoming. I stayed for 3 nights and will absolutely stay here again if I need to be in central Boston. Told a local friend about the price and location and he was stunned at how good a deal it is for this part of town.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank gooroo_dougie

Dear gooroo_dougie,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! We appreciate your feedback. Yes, we are in a fantastic location and next to Back Bay Train Station! We pride ourselves on great customer service and clean rooms. We hope that you come back to stay with us next time you are in Boston!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

The sheets were too small for the bed. Bed was moderately comfortable and the pillows weren't that great. The room was mostly clean but small - curtains were a bit dirty. The adjoining room occupant was up all night coughing and sadly, we could hear everything, so we were too. Desk attendant was mostly pleasant. My employer booked this stay but I wouldn't recommend it considering some of the other options in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Brain K-NH,

Thank you for your review! Our rooms are a little smaller than most in Back Bay which is why our prices are lower. We have a great housekeeping team that pays close attention to detail. Curtains are cleaned and inspected regularly. Our bedding has recently been redesigned and our guests are loving it!
I apologize that you did not get a very good night sleep because of the coughing guest in the room next to you. We want our guests to be comfortable and always encourage them to call the front desk if they have a concern. We would have been more than happy to place you in another room. We hope that you are able to visit us again!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed a Hotel 140 for 3 nights in March 2014. Chose this place after a comprehensive internet search. This hotel was a great price and a fantastic location. A 2 minute walk to Boylston Street, and another 1 minute to Newbury Street. Everywhere is accessible from this hotel. Rooms are slightly small, but a hotel room is only a base to sleep in. Free wifi is always an added bonus, and Hotel 140 provided this. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback on Hotel140. We are so glad that you enjoyed the convenience of our location. It really is a great spot for those who are looking to see many areas of Boston during their stay. We hope to see you again during your next Boston visit!

All the best,

Hotel140 Management

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Hi Folks,

This hotel/apartment complex met all our needs and expectations, and is located in an incredibly safe, downtown Boston setting just off Newbury street.. Safe, clean, ideally located and so secure....we were delighted.

Staff are incredibly receptive and welcoming and so helpful. Thanks to all receptions guys, Meaghan and Steve.

No bar/restaurant (Yet -food area coming...installation even as we stayed) ...but the private apartments have all the necessary requirements, from fridge to cooker/microwave and all utensils, tv and furniture.

Contact Meaghan Finn-responsible for Sales and Marketing.... for positive direct communication re.all requirements and possibilities. Super lady, so accommodating and welcoming, with excellent communication skills and local knowledge, though what would you expect from a third generation Irish lady. ???....it's in the blood....thank you Meaghan...... - I could not recommend more highly.

Hotel 140.....The place to stay in downtown Boston.!!!

Will certainly return and will offer positive recommendations to all.

Regards

Myles and Helen Johnston..

Room Tip: contact the lady!!!