“Hotel 140, Boston, a good value!”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel 140 on Clarendon Street in Boston is a reasonable and quite nice hotel. I was in Boston for four days for a church conference and was looking for an alternative to the very expensive hotels in the Back Bay area. Hotel 140 fit the bill! It's in a nice area of the city where I felt very safe being alone on this trip.

The room was on the small side but not claustrophobic by any means. It had a Q bed, shower, plenty of drawer space, desk area, and most importantly to me, a dorm-sized refrigerator.

There are plenty of restaurants in the immediate area, including Wendy's, McD's, and lots of independents, but I really LOVED "Flour," which is only yards from the hotel. If you don't mind the type of place that doesn't serve you (you order, pay, wait for your order when they call your name), Flour is not to be missed. Wonderfully friendly staff, but more importantly, out-of-this-world food, and reasonably priced. Portions are generous, and I sometimes ate half my meal and brought the rest back and stashed it in the fridge for another meal the next day.

Another good thing about Hotel 140 is that it was very quiet during my stay, which I appreciated. Although there are no gym facilities on site, ask about being able to use the Boston Sports Club on Boylston. Someone staying at 140 told me that it's a great place and she was enjoying using their facilities. (Did not ask if there's a fee or not.)

140 gave me a AAA rate, so be sure to ask about this when booking your room!

I'm giving 140 a 4 instead of a 5 on "sleep quality," because the bed could have been a bit more comfy...but I managed and after the first night, I slept fine.

All in all, it was an excellent value for the money, and I'm planning on staying there again next July!

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room that has a lounge chair. (Mine didn't, but that wasn't an bi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank weedugs
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thanks so much for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you next July!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This small boutique hotel is located very close to restaurants and shopping. Both within easy walking distance. The Boston Common is only a few blocks away and so are a couple of subway stations. A very nice coffee shop, Flour, is just across from the main door.

The rooms are very small but also very clean. My two minor "dings" are with the softness of the bed and the quality of the in-room coffee. The bed was very soft (some might like it) and the coffee was sooo weak.

As I said minor problems in what was a most enjoyable stay at a very nice hotel in downtown Boston with a knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly staff. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrjazzbeau

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel140 and your time in Boston. We are in the process of trying out some new coffee options so we look forward to introducing the final product to you during your next visit.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Let me start by saying we do not choose hotels based on amenities since we do not use them as destination stays. We are out 1st thing in the morning and come back exhausted at night. We had it down to 3 hotels and were so happy we picked this one. The ambiance was a delight-lovely building,lobby and room was steeped in history and I couldn't stop looking around. Service was top notch-we went in June and were upgraded to a king bed. The room had everything we needed including nice toiletries which are hard to find at this price range. We were on an upper floor and had a great view of the city. Across the street was Flour restaurant, which at the time we didn't know what a delicious, cute place this was. We ate there twice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Happy California Traveller

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience with us! We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Boston. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Location! Walking distance! Right within the vicinity of the Boston marathon finish line and the Memorial. Near the Historic Newbury shopping district. Practically next to two lines on the T, Service! No frills but superb and friendly staff. Clean! Comparable to a 5 star facility. Price! Won't break the bank, leaving enough to see the wonderful sites of Boston! Have been recommending to friends and will definitely return.

Room Tip: For the same price there are bigger rooms, so if it is not peak season, request for the bigger room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Medy1950
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Boston and your stay at Hotel140. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My grandson and I stay at the hotel July 8th and 9th and were very pleased with the hotel. The room was a bit small but fulfilled our needs. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't need lots of space and wants to be in a great location in downtown Boston.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly after making reservation to conform your room and make and requests you migh...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank scanner63

We are so glad to hear that you and your grandson enjoyed your stay with us. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Boston is generally expensive so finding this place for promising although I wasnt sure what to expect. It is super close (2 min walk) to the Amtrak Back Bay station which is handy and despite this the room was nice and quiet. We also walked everywhere from that location. The place has recently been rennovated so the rooms felt clean, new and adequate with a good sized bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful also so overall, its reallly all we could have hoped for. Only downside is not having breakfast included but that didnt matter.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicky874

Thank you for the positive feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our guests after their visit with us. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked through a third party site. They called the morning of to confirm my reservation - seemed my change of reservation date via the third party site didn't go through. I was already on a plane before I got the voicemail, the hotel handled the situation promptly and courteously via email. Would definitely book again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris_B60713

Thank you for sharing a little about your experience with your reservation. We are glad all went smoothly and you enjoyed your visit with us! We look forward to seeing you again!

Hotel 140