“Feels like a dorm room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 140

You added Hotel 140 to your Saves list
Hotel 140
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Clarendon Street, Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116 (Back Bay)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Rye Brook, New York, United States
“Feels like a dorm room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel is rather expensive for what you get. A basic dorm room. The front desk is helpful and the location is good. If you are in a bind and need a decent room in downtown boston, hotel 140 is okay pick. Definately not the Hilton or Hyatt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sherman Oaks, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Most hotels in the Back bay area of Boston are significantly more expensive than Hotel 140. The staff were pleasant, polite and incredibly helpful. Having said that the hotel did not feel particularly "safe" to me - there were several people hanging around by the mailboxes near the back entrance and - to be honest - the entry really does not feel like you are in a hotel at all.

I stayed up a "superior" queen room which was ok. Nothing spectacular but it was clean. The main criticism is the layout of the room - there were no plug sockets near the desk or nightstand, which meant my phone had to be at the foot of the bed so I could charge it, and working at the desk was impossible when I needed to charge my laptop.

Overall it is basic accommodation which is fine if you are on a tight budget but want to be in that area of Boston. Next time, I'll probably pay a little more and stay somewhere just a little nicer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laura C
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Best thing about this place is the location in the Back Bay. It's right next to Amtrak and the T, as well as the cute restaurants and bars in the South End.

Everything else about Hotel 140 was comically clumsy. At first we were given a room that was under construction - door ajar, electric panel open, power tools on the floor. The room also had two full beds, even though we were clearly a couple. The staff was apologetic about it, and got us a new room with a king-sized bed - but that room only had one towel in it. I'd never seen a hotel room with only one towel before in my life! It's like they were trying to get a bad review. When we told the front desk about it, on our way out, he yelled to us as we were walking out the door and handed us one towel, even though we clearly had our coats on. "Can you put it in my room for me?" I asked. You know, like a hotel?

In general, there always seemed to be some sort of commotion happening behind the front desk - confused employees arguing about hotel protocol in front of guests , etc. Perfectly nice people, but not very professional. Funny this is I guess I'd still stay here because the price was right and so was the neighborhood. Personally, I can ignore cardboard boxes left in the hallways (for example) for a good deal - but can you?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Flameatomic
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Flame Atomic,

I am sorry to hear about your experience at Hotel 140. Clearly, we strive to execute polished, warm and professional service and it sounds as if you had quite a different experience. I would like to reach out to you personally if you don't mind to get some more details about your experience so that we may ensure 100% excellence in our service and product. Thank you for your candor. I sincerely hope you have a moment to respond to the personal message I am sending you separately.

Warm Regards,
Emily A.
Huntsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Hotel 140 is an interesting place because the building houses the hotel, apartments, and a YWCA (the original purpose of the building long ago, I believe). But this is a great place to stay if you are in the Back Bay area. It's convenient to the Convention Center, to the Prudential Center, the mall there, and Fenway Park and other locations are very close. The room was small but clean and comfortable (nice bedding, flat-screen tv, desk, etc). The bathrooms are small (stand-up shower), but very clean and more than adequate. It was better than I expected, having read some previous reviews. If you want luxury, then go down the street to the Sheraton or the Marriot. I often stay at those places for conferences I attend in my field. But this was a good deal for the price and as convenient as those hotels for substantially less money. A great hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Truro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at Hotel 140 for the location to the restaurant that we got engaged at, and will keep coming back because of the staff as well as the location. The people who work here couldn't be nicer and more kind. The location and price put you just where you want to be in Boston for a reasonable price. There is a vibrancy that comes with the Lyric Theatre being located in the building, but it is the staff that really stands out. So nice. Thank you for a special weekend and stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Roselle Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

When we got there, we were upgraded to a suite so I was pleased by the nice upgrade. On coming to the room it had your basic ammenities but I had to call in for an iron and there were no robes provided. There was a small kitchen, living room and a separate bedroom with adjoining bathroom. The bathroom was pretty small so it was hard to move around with two people. The concierge was very nice and helpful if you ask for directions or suggestions for things to do nearby!! We only stayed there for two nights but if we were there longer, I would have picked a place with better quality room. It looked like an old lady's apartment that tried to look modern. The paint on the doors looked like it was painted and chipped too many times. Also coming into the room there was a humidifier on the floor. I liked the location and people at the front desk but as as a hotel room I was not impressed.

If you are looking for one night then it is okay but that's about it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my second time at hotel 140. The location is fantastic, the hotel is modern and clean, and the free wifi works well. I don't need any frills beyond that--except sleep. The walls are so thin I can understand what my neighbors are talking about. Not good at half past midnight. I will gladly pay a little more at another hotel with better wall insulation on my next trip to Boston. Too bad because everything else at this hotel is fine.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, We certainly take pride in the location and cleanliness of Hotel 140. Each room is different, therefore during your next visit we will be sure to offer you a quiet, corner room. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to see you again soon!