“GREAT LOCATION”

Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Port Hope, Canada
“GREAT LOCATION”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hotel 140 is close to the airport; within walking distance to most attractions in Boston; clean; comfortable; and has efficient and helpful staff. I wish it had a restaurant for breakfast or even a bar to have a drink at the end of the day. The cost per night was a high, but I guess that is normal for Boston. I would have liked a dresser in the room and perhaps a shelf in the bathroom to put our toiletries. I loved that I could open the window and get fresh air into my room!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Hotel 140 in the heart of Boston's Back Bay for the final night of a 10 day trip through New England. We did have a rental car, and was at first concerned about the parking charge but found a public garage right next door with an evening rate of only $10 which was great. Also the Back Bay T Station was right next door to the hotel making it very easy to get around for a last night "on the town". As for the quality of the hotel- great, especially when taking the cost into consideration. Contemporary decor in a vintage former YWCA building. Front desk staff was friendly and polite and upgraded our room from a queen bed to a king at no additional charge. It was an accessible room- which some people may look down on- but not us- my husband appreciated the extra space!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ive been to Hotel 140 a few times and each time the service is exceptional. The staff is always very polite. I was even given a free upgrade!. The location is ideal. In the heart of Boston with plenty of transportation nearby. The rooms are lovely. And its the most comfortable bed ive slept on. I would def come back to this hotel. The prices are a little steep but I usually can find good deals on other sites. Great stay!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank fritzie16
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Fritzie,

We are so happy you "love this place"! Your comments on the exceptional service and accommodating staff have been shared with our dedicated team. Many of our guests enjoy the location, room décor, and comfortable bed that you mentioned. Don't forget you can always get the lowest rate directly on our website or by calling the hotel.

We happily anticipate your next visit with us.

Warmly,
Emily Antonelli
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed two nights, and for the price I paid was quite disappointed:
- The room was small. Okay for one person but would be pretty cramped for two!
- No tub, tiny shower and bathroom.
- I could hear what my neighbour was saying...clearly. The halls are no better. The sound proofing was terrible. I realize it's an old building, but come on. The doors let a lot of light in, and aren't sealed at all. As with the walls, I could hear every word of people walking by.
- Pros = it is in good walking distance to some great parts of town, and staff were friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank victoria t
Boston-Hotel140, Hotel Representative at Hotel 140, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Victoria,

We are sorry to hear that you felt your room was too small. Our rooms here at Hotel 140, like many historic city properties, vary in size. While the rooms average more square footage than many Boston hotels, we recognize that we also want to make the best use of the space we have. This is one of the reasons we are continually renovating the guest rooms with more streamlined furniture and amenities, such as new desks, dressers, armoires, and flat screens. Each room is different and has its own personality and we seek the most space efficient furnishings for each specialty room. Our bathrooms are found by many guests to be clean and crisp and the stand-up shower actually provides more space for the room.

Thank you for your feedback. We want all of our guests to be delighted and we utilize your comments in this endeavor.
Hotel 140 Guest Service Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Right, here's the truth. If you want somewhere trendy, funky, luxurious, boutique, etc. then feel free to pay the $350 (and the rest) dollars for somewhere super cool in Boston. NORMALLY, this is what I want and I'll pay the cash. BUT, I knew that the room I wanted for this trip was JUST a room, a bed just a bed, a shower just a shower, and I was there because I wanted to be a stone's throw from Newbury Street for 2 nights. And I was.

The staff at the hotel are lovely. There's free wifi. There's no bar, cafe, restaurant or frills. But do you know what, it was cheap in comparison to the other options and was perfectly clean, perfectly fine and a brilliant, brilliant location. I measure city centre hotels by how close they are to an Eileen Fisher and this one was 4 minutes. Yup. Beat that you W's, Morgan's, Mr & Mrs Smiths.

Don't be put off by the bad reviews. But don't go with expectations that won't be met. But as you saunter to Newbury St for half the price of the other 'boutiques' in the area, remember where you can spend the dollars you've saved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chloerfowler
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We requested a room with 2 double beds, and although the room was small, the beds were double and very comfortable. The pillows were abundant and in excellent condition, as was the bedding. The room was clean and had a fridge and coffee maker. We liked the fact that we could open the windows about 4 inches to get fresh air. There were screens on the windows.
The shower was good, lots of hot water, and lots of newer, fluffy, white towels. The room cost us exactly what we were quoted and was available for us when we arrived about 1030 am on a Wed. We have travelled a fair amount and have never been given our room this early. The location was excellent. We either walked everywhere or took the hop on, hop off trolley. Lots of good restaurants within a 5 minute walk. I would recommend Rebeccas Cafe for a quick, but good brreakfast, anything from a bagel to a full breakfast. Flemings was our favourite for dinner, excellent beef tenderloin, with options for a smaller appetite. Their blue cheese stuffed olives and blue cheese mashed potatoes were superb. The staff was amazing. The staff at Hotel 140 recommended both of these places to us and also suggested great shopping areas, helped us get a taxi to the airport and were most accomodating. I would definitely book here again if I return to Boston. The only reason we did not rate it excellent is because there was no dresser to put clothing in and where one would hang clothing, was used for the refrigerator and night table.
We just lived out of our suitcases and didnt worry about it. The bathroom also lacked room for toilettries.

Clovis, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were all shocked at the size of the room for 4 women, but we made the best of it. The room was clean and we had everything we needed. The staff was pleasant and always willing to help us find our way in the city. Great location, close to good restaurants and bars. I would definitely stay here again. The only reason I'm rating the room poor is because of its size, but if you don't plan to spend much time in the room...who cares? Get out and see the city!

Room Tip: If you need a lot of room to spread out, choose another hotel.