“Wonderful Venu for Pink Martini Concert”
Review of Boston Opera House

Boston Opera House
Ranked #48 of 400 things to do in Boston
Reviewed February 18, 2013

A fabulous location for a delightful concert by Pink Martini. Will have to make the Boston Opera House a routine stop thru out the year. Plan to return in Sept. for the Next concert whoever that may be ?

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I attended a performance of Shen Yun with my daughter tonight, and I was offended. I was not aware (tickets were a gift) that this show was created with the purpose of fostering support for Falun Gong, which I personally view as a cult. Why is the Boston Opera House hosting and supporting this program, which is full of propaganda? For example, early in in the production, we are told that a Chinese singer is about to perform a very traditional Chinese song. The song then performed espouses religious beliefs from Falun Gong, with the English translation - shown on the shows enormous on-stage screen - stating claims such as "atheism is a lie," and were all here because of the "creator'," and so on. I found this - as an educated secular person - very offensive. And it has, frankly, nothing to do with Chinese history and culture, except, perhaps, very recent history, since the Falun Gong cult was started only back in 1992. Falun Gong was started by a man who espouses belief in aliens, and many other claims which make it hard not to view this as a cult and apparently the Chinese corollary to Scientology.

So, again, my question is, why is the Boston Opera House involved with this? The Nutcracker, yes ... but a "performance" which hits it's audience over the head with giant letters saying "Athesim is a lie" on a huge screen, followed by many other skits fostering Falung Gong beliefs, does not belong at a venerable institution such as the Boston Opera House. Or, at the very least, the Boston Opera House should not be involved with this odd, offsensive, and shameless self-promotion of a religious cult which is sold to the public under the guise of a work about Chinese culture and history. Instead of entertained, informed, or enlightened, I feel duped.

Regards,
JF

2  Thank JF2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Saw Sister Act and was overwhelmed with the opulence and beauty of this venue. Sister Act had a lot of loud music, but it never seemed loud, it was terrific. By the way, go see this Broadway show, now on National tour, it was amazingly good.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We saw the nutcracker and it was fantastic it was quality not quantity it is the new version kids would really enjoy it there is nothing to dislike

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I went to see The Nutcracker with my 8&6 years old children. It was a beautiful experience to dress up and watch the Ballet in spectacular Opera House. I was little dissapointed by the way I was handled at the end of the show. I waited until people comes out, since the Lobby was super crowded as it is narrow with the shop and nowhere to spread out. Once the crowd has gone, I let my kids go up to take a picture, a man said to leave. I said I just want 1 picture and his face was not happy at all. It's that little things that change overall experience has change quickly. Place is beautiful, but the assist was not what I expected.