“Nutcracker - Exceptional”
Review of Boston Opera House

Boston Opera House
Ranked #51 of 398 things to do in Boston
Reviewed November 27, 2012

From the outside, who would have guess the size or the extravagance of this facility. Online seating chart a bit hard tio discern, but with the help of the Box Office, bought 2 tickets for the Nutcracker on the second level at a good price. Great view of the stage which I suspect was true for just about anywhere in the facility. Catch any performance here if you want to see truly old world charm at its best.

There are newer reviews for Boston Opera House

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Saw the traveling production of "Warhorse" in this beautiful theatre today. First of all, if you haven't seen the production see- it in a theatre....how they bring the horses to life is incredible - you forget they are puppets....The Boston Opera House is gorgeous! The gilded ceiling, the crystal chandelers! Beautiful. We sat up in the mezzanine and felt like we were almost on stage. At intermission getting a refreshment was pretty quick, but the prices were high for pinot noir in a plastic cup. We had an enjoyable afternoon (we had gone to a matinee), and had tons of options for a nice dinner afterwards. Parking was easily accessible and for the time of the show and dinner afterwards, parking only ran us about $20.00.

1  Thank Ellen C
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went to Boston for our anniversary and to see Ben Harper solo at the opera house. It is a gorgeous venue with great acoustics. It is located in the theatre district in easy walking distance from downtown. We would highly recommend seeing a show!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Opera House is one of my favorite venues for theatre and music. I've sat in different sections, and even from the back of the balcony you have a good view. As other people mentioned, they've figured out how to keep the customers happy...the attendant in the ladies room keeps things moving, so no long waits at intermission. Overall, it's a very well maintained and managed theatre.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

As a regular subscription holder for the Boston Ballet, which now has the Boston Opera House as its permanent home, I am a great admirer of this magnificent, no-expense spared, $54,000,000- renovated building. Just look up at the handsome painted dome and look around you before and during a performance! It is reminiscent of a romantic, bygone age, and even the ladies room is quite splendid...

It is everything that an opera house should be. It is a pity that no opera company has taken up residence here.

Someone commented on Tripadvisor that they wished people would dress up for performances. Although during my last visit in May, I saw several young women scantily dressed and in the briefest of shorts, during the winter months people do dress better, at least they do so in the orchestra seats. I, myself, prefer a seat on the raised, tiered sections to the side of the theatre. Then you can actually see the orchestra playing, as well as see the dancers close-up. You might want to be further back, however, for a larger scale ballet, such as the Nutcracker.