“Good, niche experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Beacon St.
Transit: Hynes Convention Center (Green Line (B,C and D)
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went to the Wine Cellar on one of those Livingsocial deals, as did everyone else in the restaurant. The food would be overpriced if not for the coupon, but, that said, at our price point we really did enjoy the meal. The cheese and chocolate fondues were excellent, and the quality of meats and seafood in the entree was impressive. I think a place like the Wine Cellar is a "seen one seen them all" kind of place, but this particular restaurant is a good representation of a fondue joint.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I met a friend at the Wine Cellar after buying a Living Social voucher. The voucher was 2 for 1 pricing for a 3 course fondue dinner. I love cheese fondue - absolutely love it. We got the classic fondue and I can't say anything really negative except it was a little thicker than I like, but the taste was very good. We chose 4 different meats (chicken, shrimp, tenderloin and lamb) which all were marinated in different ways. The cuts were fine. They served the meat with about 5 dipping sauces that did not seem to complement the marinated meats well. Lastly was the chocolate and caramel fondue, which was fine as well. The negatives - I did not like the atmosphere. It is a small area and as many tables as can fit. I could have reached over and put my skewer into the meat at the table next to me. I sat and listened to the conversations of the people around me, because you really didn't have a choice since they were so close. The wait staff and patrons were bumping into each other when someone had to use the bathroom. It became quite loud there as the night went on as well. We had several issues with keeping our broth lit and hot, which was a little concerning when we're putting raw chicken in it, but they were attentive enough to get that fixed each time the flame went out. I'm not sure if there was an issue with the air conditioning, but it got very hot while the night went on as well. Our waiter should find another line of work or a slower pace restaurant. He was very friendly, but just couldn't keep up and we had other wait staff assisting us for about 1/2 the evening. All-in-all, the food was fine for us, we ate every morsel on our plates, but I prefer to have a little privacy while eating and the overall service/temperature/noise level was not what I like as well. Was it horrible - no, not at all. But having been to the Melting Pot and knowing the cost is about the same, I would go to the Melting Pot before I went back to the Wine Cellar. Had I had to pay full price for this experience, I might be a little more angry about this experience, but for 1/2 price, it was ok.

2  Thank ktheexplorer
Reviewed August 11, 2012

In July I called to make my reservation to find out they were closed the entire month of July. I then called when they were open to make a reservation. On Tuesday, 8/7 at 10:20am Tom from the Wine Cellar called back and offered me 5:30pm or 9:30pm on Saturday, 8/11. I chose 5:30pm.

Today at 2pm Tom called to confirm my reservation, but said it was at 9:30pm. Not only is 9:30 too late, it is NOT the time I chose for the reservation. He then told me that he had nothing else available until 9:30pm, no apologies.

Then I went onto their site to check other dates, times, etc that I could come in. I know I cannot make a reservation on Open Table to use with this Living Social deal, but just being curious, I figured I'd check out if they had any open reservations tonight for two, and sure as the world, there was a 7:30. I booked it and received a confirmation.

I called back and Tom answered and said he did not see a reservation come through for me at 7:30 and I offered the reservation number, I offered to forward him the email I received from Open Table, and then while still on the phone with him I received another email from Open table stating that The Wine Cellar had canceled my reservation for 7:30pm. I saw this, mentioned to Tom that I just got a cancellation then he hurried me off of the call.

I'm really disappointed in this as this was something I was really looking forward to enjoying for quite some time now. I feel zero interest at this point in going to the Wine Cellar after the experience I just had.

1  Thank TheGetInShapeGirl
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Several members of my family have a gluten allergy. We chose this restaurant because it clearly said on the menu "all cheese fondues can be made gluten free". I mentioned this to the waiter when we ordered but then the wrong version was brought out. I ended up speaking to the chef about something else just before my son took a bit when we found out there was gluten in the fondue we were brought. The chef then got nasty and accused me of not mentioning it when I ordered, which I had not only done but had discussed with the waiter. Luckily we escaped with everyone's health ok. I actually had tasted the food and it was not very good, definitely not as good as cheese fondue from other places including chain restaurants.

1  Thank boysmomNj
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We made a reservation with The Winecellar for our Honeymoon. We booked a week in advanced and asked them to try to make the experience special. They apparently thought "special" meant changing our reservation time, refusing to honor the email conformation for the original time, and refusing to honor our living social coupon. On top of all the problems with the reservation and coupon the staff was very rude and dismissive through the whole experience. It was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had, would not recommend.

2  Thank Sean M