“Never again to Sibling Rivalry” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sibling Rivalry - CLOSED

Sibling Rivalry
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South End
Cross street: Berkeley & Tremont
Transit: Green Line: Copley Square or Arlington Orange Line: Back Bay
Boston, Massachusetts
“Never again to Sibling Rivalry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Overall we were underwelmed and greatly disappointed. It was an evening of "nevers". After we were seated in a lovely booth the server came over. He never introduced himself, never asked if it was our first visit so he could explain the meaning of "sibling rivalry", NEVER checked on us the whole time we were there and we never had our water glasses refilled. I ordered a second drink as our server was removing our appetizers and I never received it till after we were both completely done with our dinners. Our bill did show us that my first drink was credited. While the decor and seating were lovely I felt there was no personality there. Basically-sit down, order, eat, pay the bill and leave. As I live in the South End neighborhood, there are many, much nicer, interesting places to dine. Afterall, that is what the South End is known for ! Instead, we could have had fun at Hammersley (classy) or the Beehive (character) right next door! I have lived in Boston 11 years and this was such a disappointment!

• Visited March 2013

“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate at Sibling Rivalry tonight for the first time. We won't be going back.
The restaurant has a limited menu and wine selection but still managed to be out of the entrees and wine we selected. (Note to management: it should be pretty easy to update your menu to exclude out of stock items and there is a great wine shop across the street. Being out of menu items and wines is inexcusable.) Our food was good but not good enough to make up for poor service.
My wife ordered a mixed drink when our appetizers came, it showed up when we were done with our entrees. The waiter told us the bartender was busy. (Note to management: this was 6:30 on a Wednesday night. Hire a second bartender.)
The only thing that was exceptional about this restaurant was the bread.

jamadelizmom
“Quite possibly the worst meal of my life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was so excited to eat at Sibling Rivalry. It has been on my list of restaurants to try. We ate there on Saturday, March 2. Everything was below average quality. Our entrees were served raw (pork and salmon) and I am someone who likes rare but really were way undercooked. Super slow service. Very mediocre flavor. Appetizers were fare. Drinks WAY overpriced-$12 for a mediocre glass of wine. Desserts were stale. We will never eat there again. Very expensive and $16 for Valet Parking. We would not have minded paying for parking but the food was terrible. Food at the 99 has more flavor.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maria J
Needham, Massachusetts, United States
“Uneven service, good food, ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Even though the restaurant was not at all crowded, service was quite slow. Food was good, but not extraordinary. Portions were rather small, but many restaurants serve far too large portions. Presentation of food was aesthetically pleasing.

• Visited February 2013
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Sibling Rivalry has a reputation for ingenious excellent, but I have to admit that I found it not that impressive among highly ranked Boston restaurants. The concept is clever, but in execution, where a single ingredient is interpreted by each brother separately as either an appetizer or an entree, is not as thorough as it could be. It would be much more interesting if you received a sampler where you could taste both brother's interpretation of an ingredient, at least for the appetizers, making it truly "sibling rivalry," iron-chef style. In addition, the actual dishes are lacking sometimes in content because they chefs are trying too hard to be imaginative. Though they are certainly innovative (most of the time), it comes at the cost of taste and enjoyability. Certain foods are combined that just shouldn't be. All in all, both times I've been to the restaurant I've walked away disappointed and wished that I'd gone to another of Boston's great five-star restaurants.

• Visited March 2012